IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

27 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If that scenario did happen,would I, upon arriving at Nobles be looked at by the "Feral" * doctors in A&E?

*Quote taken from the Care Quality Commision leaked report, not my words.

P.S. I have not met a bad paramedic on the island to be fair, good guys and gals including the ones who live in England and commute to work here.

The CQC report does not say that. It quotes an anonymous employee who used the word 'feral'. Usual crap reporting by local media is responsible for the confusion, abetted by people who repeat it without reading the report. It may be true, but the report did not say so.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

If that scenario did happen,would I, upon arriving at Nobles be looked at by the "Feral" * doctors in A&E?

Whatever…

Since, according to your earlier statement, you would refuse to let “anyone” in Nobles treat you, you’d be dead.   Still, at least you’d have your principles.

• Thanks 1

For many reasons Manx Care will need additional funding each and every year so we had better get ready to provide more money. The original estimates for transforming the health and social care system has been impacted by  situations not envisaged at the time i.e. Covid costs, higher rate of inflation, loss of PPU income etc. However, changes were / are necessary to reach the safe provision and standards of those services we and our children will be depending on in the future. 

This isn't just about Nobles any more. Yes, events have happened, very sadly in some cases, that may have been avoided or done differently. The health and social services here was dying on it's feet and was not geared up to meet what was required. It failed to stay in the game in so many ways and on so many levels. 

Eventually though I can see it returning to direct control by the DHSC (now proposed in UK) at the end of the 5 years but it will be a very bumpy road at times. We do however need to be better aware of what is being done as there will be some difficult choices to make.  That is when our political representatives have to listen to the public and not think they have no further role to play in the day to day stuff.

And we have to tell them when things go wrong.

5 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

The CQC report does not say that. It quotes an anonymous employee who used the word 'feral'. Usual crap reporting by local media is responsible for the confusion, abetted by people who repeat it without reading the report. It may be true, but the report did not say so.

The CQC report quotes an anonymous employee as describing some doctors’ behaviour as “Feral”.

Perhaps further clarification was not possible because of the nature of an anonymous declaration.

Whatever the reason,  the very obvious, and crucial  response: 

“ Can you explain further ..What is it that you mean by that?”

.. Did not follow.

Such an  invitation would have been an opportunity to listen further and carefully and fully explore any concerns raised.

Conversely, it might have helped dismiss the use of the expression as something casually used because it is a derogatory term currently in vogue.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 4

Gotta laugh. 

had a hospital appointment for November which was cancelled to December when I was told by letter about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday I received a letter to inform me that that appointment has been cancelled to January. Lo and behold today I receive another letter to tell me that appointment has been cancelled to another date. Both letters dated the same day. 
what a fckn shitshow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Gotta laugh. 

had a hospital appointment for November which was cancelled to December when I was told by letter about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday I received a letter to inform me that that appointment has been cancelled to January. Lo and behold today I receive another letter to tell me that appointment has been cancelled to another date. Both letters dated the same day. 
what a fckn shitshow. 

That’s where the £18 million has gone. All those letters at 73p per stamp. At least the post office made a profit this year.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Gotta laugh. 

what a fckn shitshow. 

This is one area of the hospital business I won't even try to defend.  It's unacceptable.  I once called the admin manager down to clinic to apologise to a patient who came with 7 letters alternately cancelling, shifting, reinstating appointments.  I have some idea of why it happens, and have suggested ways in which it could be avoided.  Still waiting for action.  I've always maintained that the care most people receive at Noble's is pretty good.  The main issue is how to access that care.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Had bloods done yesterday at Doctors request, today a message from Dr to make an appointment to discuss results.    Top job blood clinic and Nobles.   Unfortunately have to wait nearly  a month for a standard appointment with the Doctor, to be fair would probably be sooner if it was urgent…hopefully 🙄.

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Had bloods done yesterday at Doctors request, today a message from Dr to make an appointment to discuss results.    Top job blood clinic and Nobles.   Unfortunately have to wait nearly  a month for a standard appointment with the Doctor, to be fair would probably be sooner if it was urgent…hopefully 🙄.

If you have the patient access app you can view the results.

• Sad 1

Manx Care Board yesterday the question of a ? private company for the GPs has been formed by themselves in addition to being contracted to Manx Care ? DHSC.

The answer was less than clear - if not a tad evasive - so has anyone any information on this please and what maybe the implications for primary care.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Manx Care Board yesterday the question of a ? private company for the GPs has been formed by themselves in addition to being contracted to Manx Care ? DHSC.

The answer was less than clear - if not a tad evasive - so has anyone any information on this please and what maybe the implications for primary care.

Is it this one 

https://mannindoctors.co.uk/

2 hours ago, Apple said:

What they were talking about is what is called the Primary Care Network, which is an idea that has been present both here and in the UK for a number of years. Essentially individual practices (which are still all individually contracted to the IoM Government, and operate in effect as small businesses) can start to work together. There are plenty of health issues that are better addressed by practices working together rather than individually. That doesn't apply to the 'bread and butter' activities of seeing and treating patients, which are still covered by individual practices contracts but does allow a common approach to other activities, sharing of resources etc. It is in effect a Federation of practices. In the Isle of Man, the practices have elected to form a company which allows the Primary Care Network to employ people directly to work on behalf of all practices. The sort of activities covered might be things like prescribing support, audit across all practices, best practice protocols etc. There may also be some activities delivered in Primary Care where it doesn't make sense to have all practices doing their own thing. Some activities are better organised and delivered at an island level rather than at an individual practice level.

What it isn't is privatisation of Primary Care, or at least no more than it is already in the sense that all General Practices are already private organisations (either Partnerships or LLCs) contracted to work for the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3