IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If that is still at Nobles, that is a joke.

Fast Track queues for those that can afford it at an NHS hospital is a bizarre world.

Except I don’t think the orthopaedic consultants run private clinics. So I could get a private image and then wait to see the consultant. Or I could self refer to a private ortho in UK. 

I’ve got the private cover.

It’s not urgent. It’ll wait.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

We don’t, as I think I’ve explained on this forum before, perhaps even in this very thread. 

is there any legal reason why YOU cannot open up your own private clinic to deal with orthopaedic patients in a similar manner to Dr Kahn ( spelling ? )for opthalmics  but without resigning from Nobles?    does the ban on private health work refer to the premises or the person ?   restrictive trade practice perhaps ?

Edited by WTF

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

If that is still at Nobles, that is a joke.

Fast Track queues for those that can afford it at an NHS hospital is a bizarre world.

That happens everywhere,if consultants are doing private work I their spare time what’s the issue.

As I’ve mentioned previously the initiatives to clear backlog is great & another relative is getting cataracts done in 2 weeks after being told it could be 6/9 months 

8 minutes ago, WTF said:

is there any legal reason why YOU cannot open up your own private clinic to deal with orthopaedic patients in a similar manner to Dr Kahn ( spelling ? )for opthalmics  but without resigning from Nobles?    does the ban on private health work refer to the premises or the person ?   restrictive trade practice perhaps ?

What makes you think it’s banned. Wrighty has posted that the ortho team choose not to offer a private service.

There’s still lots of private medicine on island, delivered by NHS doctors in their non NHS time.

However there’s no private accommodation open at Nobles, which makes anything requiring an overnight stay impossible.

33 minutes ago, WTF said:

Not at all. I could talk to you about your dodgy hip and examine you in my front room. I might however run into regulatory difficulties doing your replacement operation on my kitchen table. 

When private operating was effectively banned at Nobles, combined with making access to private consulting space difficult, some consultants decided to quit, others did exactly like Mr Khan and carried on outside of Noble’s. Personally I’ve never been a massive fan of private practice - it leads to over-investigation and over-treatment as practitioners have a perverse incentive (money) to do ‘something’ rather than ‘nothing’, and even without that you have self-limiting conditions that get treated which would have recovered on a waiting list. 

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Not at all. I could talk to you about your dodgy hip and examine you in my front room. I might however run into regulatory difficulties doing your replacement operation on my kitchen table. 

When private operating was effectively banned at Nobles, combined with making access to private consulting space difficult, some consultants decided to quit, others did exactly like Mr Khan and carried on outside of Noble’s. Personally I’ve never been a massive fan of private practice - it leads to over-investigation and over-treatment as practitioners have a perverse incentive (money) to do ‘something’ rather than ‘nothing’, and even without that you have self-limiting conditions that get treated which would have recovered on a waiting list. 

Why did hospital bin private patients and the income it generated? They must have lost a few million since it closed. 

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Why did hospital bin private patients and the income it generated? They must have lost a few million since it closed. 

It didn't bin them or ban them as such, and the hospital management systems weren't good at picking up what was private and then billing for use of imaging, consulting rooms, operating theatres, staff, private beds, drugs, etc.

Truth is it ran at a loss, and was subsidised by the tax payer. So money has been saved, not lost.

Facilities were outdated and DHSC decided to:

1. Update the Private patient ward and consulting room suite

2. Invite a private operator to tender to run it

1. Has been completed. The facilities couldn't have been used with the work going on. As the process for 2 was started Covid came along and the private beds were repurposed for a time. I think that tenders to operate have been invited again but I don't think it has the critical mass to really interest a UK private hospital operator

• Thanks 1

A statement to Manx Radio from Manx Care says that in line with the Isle of Man Cancer Drugs Policy, all anti-cancer drugs available to NHS patients at Clatterbridge Cancer Centre are also available to Isle of Man patients.

The drug, Pembrolizumab, has produced promising results on aggressive, triple negative tumours. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is excellent news.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apple said:

This is excellent news.

While this is clearly excellent news for cancer patients: I wonder if any progress is being made on a policy for medicines and technologies for other life-limiting diseases, currently available in England under NICE but not approved for use here by DHSC?

2 hours ago, Apple said:

A statement to Manx Radio from Manx Care says that in line with the Isle of Man Cancer Drugs Policy, all anti-cancer drugs available to NHS patients at Clatterbridge Cancer Centre are also available to Isle of Man patients.

The drug, Pembrolizumab, has produced promising results on aggressive, triple negative tumours. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is excellent news.  

For those with the condition yes, and it also calls to mind the eternal question of cost:benefit.  Big pharma always bigs up the latter, while the former, for a new drug, is often eye-wateringly expensive.  No modern health service can simply say yes to everything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Apple said:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is excellent news.  

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

While this is clearly excellent news for cancer patients: I wonder if any progress is being made on a policy for medicines and technologies for other life-limiting diseases, currently available in England under NICE but not approved for use here by DHSC?

I’m not sure quite what the statement means.

Clearly anything approved by NICE can be given to Manx patients receiving treatment in English hospitals.

So, are they saying that there were some things you could be prescribed and given in England that couldn’t previously be prescribed and given here?

And how does that translate to the ability to actually safely administer here?

My chemo was prescribable here but the pharmacy and medical and nursing staff didn’t feel trained/able to deliver safely. So I spent 11 weeks as an inpatient in Liverpool, and 5 months  flying over twice a week. After quite a bit of lobbying nurses were sent over to train in Liverpool, and the pharmacist, so it could be made up and administered here for my final month of treatment.

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I am not sure if we still have the medical recommendations committee that scrutinise new treatments, or indeed make the final decisions on the use of NICE or other approved treatments. 

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Clearly anything approved by NICE can be given to Manx patients receiving treatment in English hospitals.

It wasn't always the case but if that is fact then good one.

55 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

No modern health service can simply say yes to everything.

I agree. But surely approved Cancer treatments should have priority. Especially for women.