IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Where do these people move to that is the question?   With a wait of two or three weeks to get an appointment for a non urgent consultation with a doctor I would guess most surgeries are fully subscribed.

Maybe read the article, which says otherwise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why did they not just automatically move the patients registration to a GP practice within their catchment area rather than leaving it to the patients to sort out?.

If a practice closes I think they can, en masse to another in area practice. But I don’t think they can, for all sorts of reasons, forcefully move patients without consent from one practice to another.

This de registration is a last resort. The patients will/should have been written to first.

At least in part down to population increase in Ballasalla surgery catchment due to Reayrt Mie.

• Like 1

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why did they not just automatically move the patients to a GP practice within their catchment area rather than leaving it to the patients to sort out?.

Because catchment areas deliberately overlap, so people usually have a choice.  In this case:

Residents of Foxdale and St Johns will now be required to sign up to Peel Medical Centre, or Snaefell Surgery which has indicated it's willing to accept new patients from these areas.

as some may prefer to have their GP in Douglas rather than Peel.  Those area aren't in Snaefell's current catchment, so they may be adjusting the boundaries because of the population change John referred to.  Apparently if you build lots of housing and nothing else, it may put pressure on existing facilities.  Who could have foreseen that?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This could be a reason for a catchment area - so that there is a limit on how far they need to travel. You know what the Manx are like for traveling more than four miles.

It’s down to things like home visits and weekend/out of hours cover.

Weekends/out of hours is now MEDS.

I stayed out of area for years on the understanding that they couldn’t come & see me.

59 minutes ago, WTF said:

why is you can have a dentist anywhere on island but your GP has to be in a catchment area ?

I’ve never seen a dentist dragging his chair, light and drill/suction machine into the car for home visits. 

Although I have come across a mobile dental surgery in a van ( and we’ve got a mobile tattoo studio on Island, but they’ve just tethered in Ramsey )

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This could be a reason for a catchment area - so that there is a limit on how far they need to travel. You know what the Manx are like for traveling more than four miles.

do all doctors live in their catchment areas ?   if not out of hours call outs won't matter what the catchment area is.