IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve never seen a dentist dragging his chair, light and drill/suction machine into the car for home visits. 

Although I have come across a mobile dental surgery in a van ( and we’ve got a mobile tattoo studio on Island, but they’ve just tethered in Ramsey )

well done , my point as i'm sure you are aware is that dentists don't have catchment areas unless things have changed ?

Edited by WTF

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

well done , my point as i'm sure you are aware is that dentists don't have catchment areas unless things have changed ?

And my point explains why, they can’t drag the tools of their trade around and do home visits. Patients go to them. The catchment area thing is historic, based on when Drs made many more home visits than now.

3 hours ago, WTF said:

why is you can have a dentist anywhere on island but your GP has to be in a catchment area ?

Your GP practice can take you on if you live outside their catchment area, but they don't have to.  Indeed in this case Snaefell are offering to take over these ones, partly I suspect because Peel has the same new housing problems as Ballasalla.  If you live in the catchment are though they effectively have to unless there's a good personal reason (ie you've fallen out with them).

Dentists are also a bit different because so much of their work is private.  I suspect doctors who do private work will be happy to see anyone from any part of the Island, but it makes up a small percentage of the work they do.

13 hours ago, John Wright said:

And my point explains why, they can’t drag the tools of their trade around and do home visits. Patients go to them. The catchment area thing is historic, based on when Drs made many more home visits than now.

crossed purposes then ,  i was referring to the catchment area aspect of things, you the home visit aspect.

36 minutes ago, WTF said:

crossed purposes then ,  i was referring to the catchment area aspect of things, you the home visit aspect.

But they’re directly related. That’s the history and origin of the catchment area dating back to the founding of the NHS.

Different times. Probably no longer relevant.

While I accept that the small number of foster families here is a problem to address, I'm not sure that Manx Care raising it via praising a UK advert for a business that we don't have on the island is appropriate: especially when there is a risk that John Lewis is just grandstanding its virtue signalling.

Ho hum, I'm getting jaded!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/plea-for-people-to-be-the-difference-and-foster-the-future/

Edited by Boo Gay'n
forgot the link

On 11/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, John Wright said:

But they’re directly related. That’s the history and origin of the catchment area dating back to the founding of the NHS.

Different times. Probably no longer relevant.

On the catchment area issue, would this be covered in the planning application for the new estate in ballasalla?

Lawrie wanted nothing to do with the issue on manxradio, even RobC would have said he would work with stakeholders to find a solution for patients.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Lawrie wanted nothing to do with the issue on manxradio, even RobC would have said he would work with stakeholders to find a solution for patients.

I thought that was a very revealing interview:

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/manx-newscast/episode/why-have-foxdale-residents-been-booted-off-ballasalla-medical-centres-list/

because it highlighted again the question of what is the DHSC for.  If Manx Care is even responsible for its contractual arrangements with GPs without any input from DHSC then how is it any different from the old DHSC except for the lack of any political control or responsibility to Tynwald.  In which case the Minister ought to accept there is nothing much for himself or the Department to do.  Even inspection has been (rightly) outsourced to the CQC.

(There's also a lot of incoherence and duplication around primary/community care, which is a different topic, but which sorting out is made more complex by the DHSC/Manx Care split).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

because it highlighted again the question of what is the DHSC for.  If Manx Care is even responsible for its contractual arrangements with GPs without any input from DHSC then how is it any different from the old DHSC except for the lack of any political control or responsibility to Tynwald.

We still need the DHSC. The DHSC sets the mandate for Manx Care to adhere to, it has a Minister in Tynwald for accountability (an annual report from Manx Care is not sufficient), etc. Look at the Question paper tomorrow for example, these are important questions and can open up via the supplementaries things that are going wrong. Take the current lack of the complaints system - how it is described on the website doesn't exist ! 

I can't believe Hooper is talking in that interview about 'the market' and 'privatisation' - is he signposting for the arrival of a new model that incorporates levels of health and care with private health care like Scotland are discussing at the moment where the better off pay for their treatment. Will some GPs offer private health insurance type treatments and care alongside the old system ?

Where can we see the generic contract for GPs on the services they are meant to provide. Anyone know?

Thanks @FSM

Some clarification about the relationship between the DHSC and Manx Care was made today in House of Keys.

The GP contract it was  said is now under review again. They are also looking at freephone numbers for GP surgeries (Ashford gave details of someone who was on the phone for over two hours to actually cancel an appointment and in the end gave up).

Results of GP satisfaction surveys also given but there must be some questions about how the data is obtained and collated. 

My GP is very good so no gripes here.

15 minutes ago, Apple said:

Thanks @FSM

Some clarification about the relationship between the DHSC and Manx Care was made today in House of Keys.

The GP contract it was  said is now under review again. They are also looking at freephone numbers for GP surgeries (Ashford gave details of someone who was on the phone for over two hours to actually cancel an appointment and in the end gave up).

Results of GP satisfaction surveys also given but there must be some questions about how the data is obtained and collated. 

My GP is very good so no gripes here.

Can’t fault Castletown practice. Very proactive. 

• Like 2

More nonsense from Minister Hooperman on the the NPM. He is advising people to think before telephoning their GP surgery. This is response to a question by that great expert Professor Ashford who is now competing with Tim Glover and Jason Moorehouse as to who can ask the most questions.

Professor Ashford claimed his constituent had to use their mobility scooter to go to their surgery, as they couldn’t get through on the telephone as nobody in the surgery was answering. I have the same problem, so to get an appointment I make sure I’m outside the surgery at 8 am and I get a same day appointment. 

In an ideal world there would be receptionists at the surgery answering the phone. Unfortunately one of the issues caused by CM Cannan population push, is more patients at surgeries but less staff and resources. As for Hooperman, pathetic response and sadly showing no empathy.