IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

19 hours ago, wrighty said:

Leaving next week, to pursue a new challenge.

I actually asked him if he was pushed, or asked to leave, or really is pursuing new things.  He tells me he is, and I have no reason to doubt him.  I know he does have other things going on - it's up to him not me however to publicise them if he wants to.

“other things going on”?? - WTF?

If that is the case then there will be no need for yet another IOMGOV NDA and we can all be allowed to know why yet another Manx Care “top dog” has gone.

But surely, given the acknowledged IG crisis in Manx Care, those in such highly paid and senior positions (CIO ffs) should have been concentrating on getting that mess sorted out, not have “other things going on”? 

If they did have the time to do “other things” it suggests they were either not spending the working week doing the “day job” they were paid for, or the “day job” only needs to be part time? 
Or was doing the “other things going on” instead of the “day job” the cause of the IG crisis? 

Interestingly, Ethos Ltd is listed as one of his interests in Manx Care Board papers. Karen Malone (remember her?) also seems to be working for Ethos now. Hopefully IOMGOV will not be paying these two for their services, again, through this company?

Presumably he has to step down as “Chair of the Treasury ICT panel” too? (can’t find a mention of that panel on Treasury website, is this just another publicly financed talking shop with no remit or accountability for time and money spent?) - Would have thought that was a conflict with his ex-role in Manx Care anyway, but, hey, it’s IOMGOV, anything goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

But isn’t thatbetter than turfing elderly/vulnerable people (or any patient tbh) out without any support, medication, care package in place etc at stupid times of the day/night? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-63758111

There is no easy fix to it, but surely patients (especially elderly) don’t suddenly become well enough to go home at 6/7 pm? Decisions made earlier in the day could mean that all support is in place before they get shoved out …

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Frankly, the use of the term 'bed blocking' is emotive and divisive. It sounds like the people who are classed as 'bed blockers' are intentionally there rather than being a symptom of a broken system. 

Patients themselves rarely deliberately bed-block, but on occasion their families do so on their behalf, refusing perfectly good community care packages or nursing home placements for a variety of reasons ranging from inconvenience (“we will only accept a nursing home in our own town”) to an unwillingness to sort funding.

Nursing homes themselves are sometimes difficult when it comes to taking their own residents back (“we need to assess his care needs again, and can only come a week on Thursday, you’ll have to keep him until at least then”)

It gets frustrating at times, but you’re right that it’s the broken system generally. However, as far as I can tell this particular system has never worked - ‘broken’ implies it used to. Not in my medical lifetime. 

• Like 5

On 11/26/2022 at 8:04 PM, Dr. Grumpy said:

BTW what's happening with the ex-pol investigation? Is the report out yet?

"The tribunal has asked all parties to keep three days in November (8-10) available to consider additional evidence to help inform its decision on the damages Dr Ranson will receive."

I didn't see that anything happened on those dates. Expol started on the job in July, so they surely must have produced  report by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:03 PM, wrighty said:

Patients themselves rarely deliberately bed-block, but on occasion their families do so on their behalf, refusing perfectly good community care packages or nursing home placements for a variety of reasons ranging from inconvenience (“we will only accept a nursing home in our own town”) to an unwillingness to sort funding.

Nursing homes themselves are sometimes difficult when it comes to taking their own residents back (“we need to assess his care needs again, and can only come a week on Thursday, you’ll have to keep him until at least then”)

It gets frustrating at times, but you’re right that it’s the broken system generally. However, as far as I can tell this particular system has never worked - ‘broken’ implies it used to. Not in my medical lifetime. 

“Bed Blocker” -a term that would not be acceptable if such casual prejudice and abuse was directed  against any other section of our society.

These are vulnerable people- They  are us, perhaps given a few years.

They are not a different species.

They should not be used as the scapegoat for the inadequacies of a flawed system.

The NHS, born in 1948 was established with the slogan of “Cradle to Grave” care.

But .. There is something very fundamental here - and it comes as a real shock to many - especially their relatives:

The NHS, for all its very laudable virtues, does not, and never has covered “Social Care ”- ie looking after you if you are unable  to do so yourself.

And there is the reason for at last some of the “Delayed discharges”

The ideal would be a system whereby the funding follows the individual to provide the care they require, whatever their needs, and wherever they need to to receive it.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dr. Grumpy said:

A mate in the know tells me Richard Wild has left Manx Care. Is this correct? If so, what's the back story?

Apparently the style and tone of the email announcing his departure late on a Friday and very much short and to the point speaks to the sentiment to his departure.

He clearly made the right choice and I wish him well.

• Like 1

With regard to the posts on the Daily Mail thread and the comments about NHS protected disclosures the article on the BBC website today highlights some of the issues and stances some clinicians may take to report failings...and the potential consequences. 

As posted, Nobles were right to pursue the case described and have done so vigorously in other cases iirc. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63827648