IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

I will ask if I can post his name on here. Those who know me, know I don't post bullshit !! My friend is having a day case procedure today in London !

Oh and Wrighty, he is there because of being wrongly diagnosed at Nobles after a short admission ! So don't go telling me it's bullshit.

i know someone who received a settlement from the wonderful hospital that is nobles. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

the  thing about that comment is that you imply somewhere else is even worse........................  where would that be exactly ?

How about some of the ones where you have to sit in the back of an ambulance for 10 hours before you can get in?

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

I will ask if I can post his name on here. Those who know me, know I don't post bullshit !! My friend is having a day case procedure today in London !

Oh and Wrighty, he is there because of being wrongly diagnosed at Nobles after a short admission ! So don't go telling me it's bullshit.

It might not be ‘bullshit’ that’s what your friend was told (although somewhat disturbing that an off-island consultant is making such disparaging comments - perhaps point him/her in the direction of the GMC’s good medical practice guidance), but it is ‘bullshit’ that Noble’s is the worst hospital in the British Isles. 

By what measure(s)? Waiting times - no. A&E queues - no. Staffing levels - no. 

All hospitals have bad outcomes, misdiagnoses, complaints etc. Go on any local forum and you will find people whinging about local health services - I had a lady over from Carlisle refusing to go back there because of stories about her local hospital. She’s not the only one. 

So that’s why it’s bullshit. You, your friend, and your friend’s consultant need to look at the bigger picture. Health services across the UK are in real trouble everywhere. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

To my mind, it makes perfect sense on an island the size of ours, to integrate emergency/urgent care out of hours (particularly between midnight and 7am) rather than running 2 separate services. Obviously, the way this has come about as a result of illness is far from ideal, but that really just highlights the lack of resilience of the service which is in turn as a direct result of the small size of the service, rather than incompetence, laziness etc.

It would need proper planning in order to deal with specific problems such as how you look after people where it is wholly inappropriate for them to be seen at hospital (for instance terminally ill people at home, some residents in care homes etc), but it should not be beyond us to solve those issues.

The press release was quite confusing, they said closed for the foreseeable future, that doesn't sound like a short term problem?  Why can't manxcare find doctors? Is this an expected consequence of Brexit worsened by the pandemic?

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

All hospitals have bad outcomes, misdiagnoses, complaints etc. Go on any local forum and you will find people whinging about local health services - I had a lady over from Carlisle refusing to go back there because of stories about her local hospital. She’s not the only one. 

So that’s why it’s bullshit. You, your friend, and your friend’s consultant need to look at the bigger picture. Health services across the UK are in real trouble everywhere. 

i can agree with that , but on this island all the bad news reaches every corner , and there is a lot of bad news , 2.1m worth that actualy got past the hospitals lawyers and then there are  those that couldn't afford to pursue a legal route and are in the publicly invisible  tough shit column.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The press release was quite confusing, they said closed for the foreseeable future, that doesn't sound like a short term problem?  Why can't manxcare find doctors? Is this an expected consequence of Brexit worsened by the pandemic?

the looking into the future skills on island is maybe 1 hour at best so don't read much into that ,  the shortage of doctors is down to an abundance of managers ,  no money for doctors because clueless people pushing pens takes priority 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It might not be ‘bullshit’ that’s what your friend was told (although somewhat disturbing that an off-island consultant is making such disparaging comments - perhaps point him/her in the direction of the GMC’s good medical practice guidance), but it is ‘bullshit’ that Noble’s is the worst hospital in the British Isles. 

By what measure(s)? Waiting times - no. A&E queues - no. Staffing levels - no. 

Frustratingly the politicos seem to have thrown millions at it for no betterment !

My point was, bullshit or not, people are going off island for private treatment when they can afford to, such is the lack of confidence in Nobles, which is a great pity I agree.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

i can agree with that , but on this island all the bad news reaches every corner , and there is a lot of bad news , 2.1m worth that actualy got past the hospitals lawyers and then there are  those that couldn't afford to pursue a legal route and are in the publicly invisible  tough shit column.

2.1 million out of a budget of 220million or so. In the UK the figure is £2.2 billion out of a budget of £180 billion so by that measure the IoM is slightly less bad.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I would agree that the press release is confusing. I think all areas in the UK are struggling to find doctors. The geographical isolation and the small size of the island means that they have fewer alternatives to look at when they hit a crisis point. That is partly why it makes sense to me to look to streamline/integrate MEDS and A&E particularly for the times that are hardest to staff (i.e overnight)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Theresa was on radio this morning & it’s due to illness in MEDs team & when that’s resolved the service will return to normal so hopefully shortly 

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

Theresa was on radio this morning & it’s due to illness in MEDs team & when that’s resolved the service will return to normal so hopefully shortly 

Unfortunately they can't get an appointment to be seen by their GP, so it could be a while.

[That was a joke!]

• Haha 6