IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Any system that allows up to 2 hours free and validation if you run over time would work and be simple.

It would appear so. Putting it all together and managing it would probably be unacceptable in our current financial climate. It's not really a priority and currently it works (just) as it is.

Would you say there are adequate disabled spaces? Are the pathways negotiable, well-maintained and up to standard?

@doc.fixit You can be forgiven for your cynicism 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Car Parks. My own view, not speaking for Government/Manx Care -

1. Paint the lines so they can be seen. Include double yellows/box junctions. Fine/clamp people for improper parking.

2. Barrier/ticket entry/exit. Staff can pay an annual charge to park on the main carpark if they wish, otherwise go round the back. Patients exempt - tickets get validated on leaving clinic or discharge. Visitors pay by the hour, park&ride abusers pay through the nose. We could easily work out criteria for families with regard to ITU, maternity, major trauma etc. Most genuine visitors are there for an hour or two. Charging a couple of quid is not unreasonable. 

3. Overflow carparks free for genuine users - tickets validated for free, but if you’re a park&ride abuser, charged. 

4. A&E car park reserved for A&E attendances. Not staff (except if called in for an emergency while on call). Free, but policed for abusers.

I have no idea if this would make money or cost money, but it should ensure better accessibility and availability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

1. Paint the lines so they can be seen. Include double yellows/box junctions. Fine/clamp people for improper parking.

2. Barrier/ticket entry/exit. Staff can pay an annual charge to park on the main carpark if they wish, otherwise go round the back. Patients exempt - tickets get validated on leaving clinic or discharge. Visitors pay by the hour, park&ride abusers pay through the nose. We could easily work out criteria for families with regard to ITU, maternity, major trauma etc. Most genuine visitors are there for an hour or two. Charging a couple of quid is not unreasonable. 

3. Overflow carparks free for genuine users - tickets validated for free, but if you’re a park&ride abuser, charged. 

4. A&E car park reserved for A&E attendances. Not staff (except if called in for an emergency while on call). Free, but policed for abusers.

I have no idea if this would make money or cost money, but it should ensure better accessibility and availability. 

Knowing our lot it’ll be another Airport scenario unnecessary cockup. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

They're gonna need a bigger bloat. 

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

I used to think that the park and ride abuse was a myth but found out later that many do it ..

Cheaper than parking  in Dougias for a day and easy if your place of work is near a bus stop.. 

Exactly stop the abuse. Surely it can’t be that difficult to come up with a system to stop the abusers. Do they not have the moral decency to understand that they are denying a parking space to those who need one and for which they were created.

Paying for parking to have hospital treatment or visiting sick, recovering relatives or friends just seems so intuitively wrong. 

Surely we are better than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly stop the abuse. Surely it can’t be that difficult to come up with a system to stop the abusers. Do they not have the moral decency to understand that they are denying a parking space to those who need one and for which they were created.

Paying for parking to have hospital treatment or visiting sick, recovering relatives or friends just seems so intuitively wrong. 

Surely we are better than that.

There are ways around it. See the NHS link put up not 10 posts ago. And JW's post. 

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

There are ways around it. See the NHS link put up not 10 posts ago. And JW's post. 

Well possibly but I have visited sick relatives in NHS hospitals across.

Not being disabled or a holder of a blue badge etc and not having the stomach for a fight over £5 or £10  ( how many people visiting sick relatives do? their priorities are elsewhere) I just paid up

I think the park and ride is a myth to a great extent.   If you were going to do this why would you drive past the overspill car park which usually has loads of room especially first thing in the morning to park in the main car park ?   It does not make sense.   This has always been the excuse for charging for parking it does not wash with me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think the park and ride is a myth to a great extent.   If you were going to do this why would you drive past the overspill car park which usually has loads of room especially first thing in the morning to park in the main car park ?   It does not make sense.   This has always been the excuse for charging for parking it does not wash with me.

Probably closer to the bus stop?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Well as been said already you would drive past the overspill car park to park in the main car park which is nearer to the bus stop. 
If you’re the sort of selfish bastard who doesn’t care about people who need to be nearer the hospital entrance because of their condition and just want to save a few quid on parking charges in town it makes perfect sense

Edited by The Voice of Reason

On car parking they need to start issuing tickets to all the lazy twats who keep parking on the pavements outside hospital making it difficult to drop off & collect patients. Last week they had some parking cones out but of course the twats just moved them & parked on pavement!!!

• Thanks 1