IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Ramsey residents who are the biggest whiners about access to doctors etc are also the worst at not keeping appointments!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/just-over-1400-missed-gp-appointments-in-november/

Or maybe it's because they're the practice with most patients and so most appointments to start with?

We already discussed how the constant going on about missed appointments (which in practice makes little difference to doctors' workload) is really more an indication of Manx Care refusing to take any responsibility for their failings and deciding to blame the public instead.  The fact that these denunciations seem to be happening more and more frequently suggests that they're running out of ideas for even that.

• Like 8

On 12/24/2022 at 12:30 AM, Jarndyce said:

Fair enough - what did YOU mean by it, then?

Bit shouty. Let it go. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

is really more an indication of Manx Care refusing to take any responsibility for their failings and deciding to blame the public instead.  The fact that these denunciations seem to be happening more and more frequently suggests that they're running out of ideas for even that.

Or are the foundations for another initiative being laid.?

There has to be research / investigation into exactly what is going wrong carried out before apportioning responsibility for these high numbers.

But, is Ramsey too far to travel for an Out Patient appointment if you live in the South of the Island?  Could it be done over telemedicine system if there is no change in condition ? Can GPs review post operative conditions if there are no problems? Does it have to be the Consultant / Surgical Team ?

However poor we think things are here, they’re a walk in the park compared to East Anglia.

My aunt is 90. Lives on her own in deepest, rural, Norfolk. She is supported by carers, GP, friends, dog walkers. I do what I can from a distance. She no longer drives, nearest village with shop and post office is 5 miles away along a, mainly, single track road. 

She’s resolutely opposed to sheltered accommodation/care home, although, ideally she should be there.

Emergency phone call yesterday. Morning dog walker had found her on the floor. Not sure when she fell, but cold, so probably overnight. Very confused. Struggling to breath.

Ambulance called. Told would be 17 hours. Carers wouldn’t move her and put her back in bed, not insured, not their job.

Ambulance actually turned up after 6 hours. Thankful for small mercies. She’s just been moved out of the ambulance and in to A&E. so spent all yesterday evening, and overnight, in an ambulance.

Initial diagnosis is dehydrated and pneumonia. 

She was taken to Great Yarmouth hospital. A one hour plus journey. A journey that went past two hospitals, including the large Norfolk & Norwich, both with 24 hour A&E.

Sorry to hear about this JW. It sounds horrendous. Hope she recovers and they find the right support for her further care. It can't be easy being so far away.

Yes, we are more fortunate than the chaos that is happening in the UK. 

Edited by Apple

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

However poor we think things are here, they’re a walk in the park compared to East Anglia.

My aunt is 90. Lives on her own in deepest, rural, Norfolk. She is supported by carers, GP, friends, dog walkers. I do what I can from a distance. She no longer drives, nearest village with shop and post office is 5 miles away along a, mainly, single track road. 

She’s resolutely opposed to sheltered accommodation/care home, although, ideally she should be there.

Emergency phone call yesterday. Morning dog walker had found her on the floor. Not sure when she fell, but cold, so probably overnight. Very confused. Struggling to breath.

Ambulance called. Told would be 17 hours. Carers wouldn’t move her and put her back in bed, not insured, not their job.

Ambulance actually turned up after 6 hours. Thankful for small mercies. She’s just been moved out of the ambulance and in to A&E. so spent all yesterday evening, and overnight, in an ambulance.

She was taken to Great Yarmouth hospital. A one hour plus journey. A journey that went past two hospitals, including the large Norfolk & Norwich, both with 24 hour A&E.

Dehydration after being in an ambulance overnight?  That whole story is sad and shocking really. 

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Suspect her intake of fluids was low, leading to confusion and the fall, before the ambulance. Not the first time.

Yes, but wouldn't you have thought they would rehydrate her while in the ambulance or can they do nothing other than keep her warm?

UTI's caused by dehydration also lead to confusion in the elderly.  

Rotten situation. So sorry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Your poor aunt. Thank god for dog walkers so she was found. Caring for my similarily aged mother, so this is my worse nightmare.

On a broader note, the UK is one of the world’s richest countries, so one has to ask how it has come to this. Yes, I know many of the causes. We just don’t see any solutions and people still shugging their shoulders and carrying on

4 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Your poor aunt. Thank god for dog walkers so she was found. Caring for my similarily aged mother, so this is my worse nightmare.

On a broader note, the UK is one of the world’s richest countries, so one has to ask how it has come to this. Yes, I know many of the causes. We just don’t see any solutions and people still shugging their shoulders and carrying on

As JW wrote, "She’s resolutely opposed to sheltered accommodation/care home" so it's hard to blame the authorities.

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

As JW wrote, "She’s resolutely opposed to sheltered accommodation/care home" so it's hard to blame the authorities.

Sorry but I don’t agree. If you had an accident, you would not want to wait hours for an ambulance or admission at A & E. Why should this lady not also be entitled to that? Why should she be shunted off to a home? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Sorry but I don’t agree. If you had an accident, you would not want to wait hours for an ambulance or admission at A & E. Why should this lady not also be entitled to that? Why should she be shunted off to a home? 

Have you paid any attention to the news from England about health care, waiting times, ambulances ( even without the strikes ), over the last 2 weeks, 3 months, 12 months, 3 years, 12 years?

Theres been a constant real time reduction in front line pay in the name of austerity, for 12 years. Result workers are leaving in droves and recruitment is impossible.

Add to that Brexit. Many European medics, para medics, and care workers went home. They won’t come back with the hostile immigration environment of Patel & Braverman.

Covid won’t have helped either.

No one wants huge delays to arrival of ambulance, waiting in ambulances until space is available in A&E, then a wait to get onto a ward. But it’s cold reality.

She’s being bed blocked. Because there’s no places or funding. A&E is full. People in A&E need to be moved onto wards. Wards are full, because patients fit to be discharged have nowhere to go, no care beds, no home care services. Mainly because of underfunding. NI was to go up to fund that. But Truss/Kwarteng and Sunak/Hunt reversed that.

Why should she be shunted off to a home? you ask. Well, she shouldn’t be shunted anywhere. You shouldn’t shunt to a home. Homes should be properly funded, warm, caring, homely. 

If she goes home, whatever care package she gets, won’t be 24/7. She’ll fall again. There won’t be a care home place nearby/at all. So she will end up bed blocking.

Yet idiots like Banker keep voting Tory!

• Like 1