IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

21 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Sadly, no money left for front-line staff - not after critical funding is agreed for: re-branding exercises, duplication of expensive management and executive functions, “culture studies”, re-assessment and increased numbers of all “managerial” nursing staff (higher than ward level), nice new red tops, etc…

Cynical?  Moi?

There is money for front-line staff. Finding them is the difficult part.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:
3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Don’t let facts get in the way of those who like to moan !!

Bit harsh, gents - I thought it was satire!   “Nice new red tops” was the giveaway…

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

No, but seriously folks - I appreciate the real difficulty in finding and retaining front-line staff.   I haven’t joined the ranks of the professional moaners yet - I’m not even a gifted amateur!

But presumably you wouldn’t disagree that - occasionally - there have been instances where funding might have been better allocated toward patient-facing services rather than managerial/admin functions?   Is the commissioner/service provider split giving value for money yet?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I agree Hooper should go into Nobles and speak to the staff on duty when it's bedlam ! he might learn a thing or two, if he was able to assure people of a hats off conversation. As someone who has never been in the place until recently it was certainly an eye opener ! Staff burned out, agency costs rocketing, wards used not for their intended functions but as a repository for everything under the sun. These were things told to me whilst I was in, by really nice qualified staff ! Hooper spouts a load of tosh most of the time !

• Like 5

Oh he is extremely good at talking Tosh, as are most of the fuckwits in the gov. Don't know if it was part of the media training they received but most of them past that module with flying colours as well as a few being outstanding in the not saying a dam thing, A+ with distinction.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 5

The only other occasion I can recall that people were asked to come and help out on the wards was when the Summerland disaster happened. Off duty nursing and medical staff responded in droves.

It is sad that we see our Hospital in such a state as last night . Maybe the money is there for more staff, I'm sure there is a case for it now anyway, but any sensible organisation has to ask itself how we got here. Comparisons to the state of the NHS UK are useless given we control our own budgets. 

We keep hearing about the 'culture' of the NHS here but no-one says what that actually is. Is is the philosophy, or the ideaology that is holding us back?  Why did we get rid of so many staff as a political tool ? Are we to replace everyone with lower skills and on lower pay grades ?

Those questions need answering before we settle for what is a declining provision and standard of services. Nursing staff are still to accept the pay deal and the impact of that doesn't bear think about. Likewise with junior medical staff.

If the money is there as claimed then pay them more. What's the alternative ? Making people anxious and leaving some of them in painful chronic conditions to deteriorate even further, making recovery more difficult?

Bad government has brought us here, not managers, or doctors, or nurses, or unions. We have to decide what we want and let them know the current situation, which is still experimental is no longer acceptable. 

And still MKHs are quiet on the constituents falling foul of the systems. It seems that some of them no longer care, despite their manifestos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, asitis said:

I agree Hooper should go into Nobles and speak to the staff on duty when it's bedlam ! he might learn a thing or two, if he was able to assure people of a hats off conversation. As someone who has never been in the place until recently it was certainly an eye opener ! Staff burned out, agency costs rocketing, wards used not for their intended functions but as a repository for everything under the sun.

Excellent post. I assume Hooper was there helping out yesterday. 

Thats the same picture I am hearing about from others and have experienced myself in the past few months. 

• Like 4

There are several factors relating to frontline health staffing that could start to address issues - short and longer term:

- more pay (sheer reality is that staff are better off working via an agency which is madness)

- once full time pay is substantially increased, turn off the agency tap (agencies have become leeches sucking up resources on profit making basis)

- outbid pay rates in UK (premium is needed to make IoM attractive and there is a rate at which this will work)

- completely subsidise nursing training (like old grants system) but on basis of so much time then working back here when qualified - many regional locations worldwide do similar already

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

There are several factors relating to frontline health staffing that could start to address issues - short and longer term:

- more pay (sheer reality is that staff are better off working via an agency which is madness)

- once full time pay is substantially increased, turn off the agency tap (agencies have become leeches sucking up resources on profit making basis)

- outbid pay rates in UK (premium is needed to make IoM attractive and there is a rate at which this will work)

- completely subsidise nursing training (like old grants system) but on basis of so much time then working back here when qualified - many regional locations worldwide do similar already

This reminds me a bit of what the island’s health service was like pre-2000.   Not that anyone in the current team would be allowed to admit that the “old days” were ever better managed, more efficient, more cost effective, etc.

Political interference, drives for “efficiency” which targeted the wrong areas, the cult of the manager, the loss of the “team/family” feel where staff looked out for one another rather than looking for a scapegoat, increased paperwork removing nursing staff from the patients - need I go on?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Apple said:

And still MKHs are quiet on the constituents falling foul of the systems. It seems that some of them no longer care, despite their manifestos.

Surely the DHSC/MC split was designed to keep them out - and the Minister at arms length?   And they all voted it through.

• Like 2