IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

There is a shortage worldwide, which begs the question, Why? And how can IoM become an employer of choice for HCA? Inevitably you end up circling back to recruitment and retention basics:

- Base pay (one shouldn’t have to always do overtime to make a living wage)

- Cost of initial training (and student debt)

- culture/mentorship within the workplace

- promotion opportunities and recognition

People choose, and stay in a profession, for a range of reasons encompassing all of the above. When there is a labour shortage, we have to score high on key factors

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

There is a shortage worldwide, which begs the question, Why? And how can IoM become an employer of choice for HCA? Inevitably you end up circling back to recruitment and retention basics:

People choose, and stay in a profession, for a range of reasons encompassing all of the above. When there is a labour shortage, we have to score high on key factors

As far as I know there is no cost for nursing training on Iom & therefore no student debt & no accommodation costs as most will be living at home.

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

This. The first two are likely to help recruitment, the last two retention. No matter how good the pay, people don’t stay if the job’s terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Last Ten said:

There is one Politician that can sort this mess out in DHSC and Manx Care and that is Mrs Poole-Wilson, I don’t always agree with some of her policies but she is a very thorough and sound Minister.

Her role in DHA is important but could be done by someone else as most of the heads in her Divisions are quite astute.

Just my views which of course could be totally wrong.

I disagree. Either she'll do nothing and go with the flow like Mr. Hooper or ruffle feathers like Mr. Callister and get sacked. As long as the puppet-masters of  MC have the full backing of the CM here, no minister can change anything

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Banker said:

As far as I know there is no cost for nursing training on Iom & therefore no student debt & no accommodation costs as most will be living at home.

But presumably if they want to train across or do advanced training for things like ICU, theatre etc, that costs

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

They can get the degree here plus £5k pa bursary & all degree costs paid so can’t do much more for local training 

https://www.gov.im/categories/education-training-and-careers/keyll-darree-health-and-social-care-higher-education-centre/nurse-education/

Make it bonded, and offer free decent accommodation for off island entrants. No one can come here and afford the rents to live anywhere decent as a student nurse !

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

As long as the baby is healthy then I don’t see it’s a major issue 

Complying with IOM legislation in health and social not a problem then. What else can we just skip over next ?

Free for all ?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Apple said:

Personal opinion here - anyone opting for a home birth for baby number one should be counselled strongly that it’s not a good idea, and I certainly don’t believe the health service should be compelled to provide such a service, which is undoubtedly riskier than a hospital birth. 

(My No.2 and No.3 were born at home, but we only did this because No. 1 had been quick and straightforward, and scans etc showed no anticipated problems. And this was still riskier than going into hospital. I don’t buy all this hippie “It’s perfectly natural” garbage.  Appendicitis is perfectly natural too.)

• Like 9
  • Sad 1