IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

53 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It was about 30 years ago that ‘project 2000’ was brought in, with the aim being that by 2000 all nurses would have a degree. Before then it was possible to go into nurse training with only O-level/CSE qualifications, and it was seen as something that women could do (sexist, yes, I know) after having children since nursing, at its fundamental level (to look after the needs of patients which they are unable to do themselves such as feeding, cleaning, toileting etc), has much in common with being a mother. 

Many in the profession thought this was a mistake, and many still do. Whatever your views however, it certainly made it more difficult to get into nurse training by ruling out the less academic.

And at what age do nurses "normally" retire?

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

It was about 30 years ago that ‘project 2000’ was brought in, with the aim being that by 2000 all nurses would have a degree. Before then it was possible to go into nurse training with only O-level/CSE qualifications, and it was seen as something that women could do (sexist, yes, I know) after having children since nursing, at its fundamental level (to look after the needs of patients which they are unable to do themselves such as feeding, cleaning, toileting etc), has much in common with being a mother. 

Many in the profession thought this was a mistake, and many still do. Whatever your views however, it certainly made it more difficult to get into nurse training by ruling out the less academic.

Is there an older pathway for those who didn’t do well at school but want to start nursing later? Interesting Long Read in Guardian today on someone in that situation. And is this policy now fit for purpose with the staff shortage? Presumably most of today’s staff nurses (due to retire in next decade say) came through without such a high barrier to entry.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Four nurses in our family...3 are going/went at state retirement age, one got burned out and went early.

The pay isn't marvellous, so depends largely on your circumstances (pensions have been screwed up between UK/IOM)...and how much drive for the vocation (v stress levels) you still have left in you.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

It used to be 55 - probably very few remaining with that 'perk' though as it was raised to 60.  Newer entrants to the government scheme here, and those that chose not to protect benefits when GUS came in in 2011 retire at 65.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

Is there an older pathway for those who didn’t do well at school but want to start nursing later? Interesting Long Read in Guardian today on someone in that situation. And is this policy now fit for purpose with the staff shortage? Presumably most of today’s staff nurses (due to retire in next decade say) came through without such a high barrier to entry.

The former 'State Enrolled Nurse' pathway into nursing probably became 'HCA' (Health Care Assistant, formerly an Auxiliary Nurse).  I'm not aware of an equivalent pathway into qualified nurse status, although there are probably college courses that give qualifications deemed equivalent to GCSE/A-Levels for the purposes of starting a nursing qualification.

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I'd expect newly qualified (ie registered) non-medical professional staff to start at Band 5 going from about £27k up to about £30k+.  Is that a reasonable** annual salary in the IoM?  I've no idea.

Fwiw I've heard a lot of stories in the UK about qualified nurses having to resort to using food banks to feed themselves.  I don't know, but it really doesn't sound very likely to me...

Sounds very plausible to me.  Average rents in the most expensive London boroughs are over £2000 a month.  After tax/NI that's going take away nearly all of a £30k salary.  Even the cheapest outer boroughs will take over half.

13 hours ago, Apple said:

In terms of home births I assume it must be mothers choice surely. Im assuming of corse that options for care are still available with advice and support from Midwives and Consultants.

A friend of my wife's was insistent on doing a homebirth.  Even rented a pool that was set up in the lounge for about 2 weeks. 

However, she is a full fuckwit hippy and if she could have got hold of a small dolphin to occupy the pool at the same time, together with some chanting monks and a crystal for pain relief, she would have.  I wouldn't trust her to look after a houseplant to be honest.  Luckily she was hugely late and had to be induced at the hospital, so no home birth.  I dread to think what would/could have happened if she had been left to her own devices. 

Alas I feel it would be tricky to IQ test/reality check anyone that wants to do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Surely there are not health services resources available for home births these days? If you want that self-indulgence, my view is you should pay for it privately yourself.

home births used to be the norm and hospital was the indulgence.

• Like 5