IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

4 minutes ago, snowman said:

The public need to be made aware of the issues & truth rather than being fed BS from the propaganda machine 

I hope no-one is holding their breath....

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/patients-referred-for-urgent-gastro-appointments-could-wait-six-months/

Urgent cases to wait 6 months. I don't believe that or has it been reported wrongly. I don't know any Consultant who would tolerate a situation like that. Seriously.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I have seen this corporate form of ad hominem argument used so many times on the island - we're unique, no one from outside really understands us and so the criticisms can be played down or ignored.  It needs to stop.

Paul Moore isn’t going to stop - in addition to being Director of Nursing, he is also in charge of clinical governance (funny how they always miss that bit out when he gives an interview).

So a lot of the CQC criticism will be/should be landing on his desk.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I have seen this corporate form of ad hominem argument used so many times on the island - we're unique, no one from outside really understands us and so the criticisms can be played down or ignored.  It needs to stop.

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Paul Moore isn’t going to stop - in addition to being Director of Nursing, he is also in charge of clinical governance (funny how they always miss that bit out when he gives an interview).

So a lot of the CQC criticism will be/should be landing on his desk.   

Apart from the rather odd analogy with Manchester City, what did he say that wasn’t accurate and relevant? He accepts there is much to take from the CQC but caveats with the fact that they don’t fully take into account our isolated geography and lack of scale. 

I’ve been involved in a few reviews of services here over the years. The WMQRS ones were a waste of time - suggested we should close the ED, stop delivering babies etc., doing exactly what Paul Moore says in disregarding our location and size. The Mersey trauma network annual reviews were far more helpful - they accepted we couldn’t do everything, but helped us do the best we could (which is in fact one definition of Clinical Governance - making sure you do your best)

I haven’t seen the latest CQC reports but I know from the UK that they tend to have a template, and tick you off as OK if you match. We almost certainly won’t. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In good news 

Manx Care’s Operating Theatres Department at Noble’s Hospital has been recognised by the Association for Perioperative Practice (AfPP) with an accreditation for its “gold standard” of practice. 

The AfPP is the UK’s leading membership organisation dedicated to theatre practitioners and improving perioperative care. The Association aims to enhance the quality of care and patient safety by constantly developing and promoting the leading standards for perioperative practice and practitioners. 

Manx Care commenced a Theatre Improvement Programme in April 2021 and had an initial visit in September 2021, where it was noted that there was evidence of good practice and adherence to the AfPP standards, but also areas where improvements could be made. The Association returned in September 2022, when it was found that all recommendations were met and they were pleased to recommend accreditation of Manx Care’s theatres for two years. 

The AfPP assesses teams against standards and recommendations for safe perioperative practice and forms a “gold standard” framework for operating theatre departments to examine service performance and identify potential improvements in patient care.

They noted that it was pleasing to see the progress made and the notable achievements since their visit in 2021, and particularly remarked on the significant work undertaken regarding culture during the past year. They also found, through conversations with staff and observations of practice, that the importance of patient care was evident. Patients were treated with dignity, care and respect, and communication between colleagues and patients was exemplary.

James Watson, General Manager for Surgery, Theatres, Critical Care and Anaesthetics, said: “We are so pleased to be recognised with an accreditation from such a well-renowned organisation as the AfPP. It’s testament to the commitment and dedication of all those in the Theatres teams, and the importance Manx Care places on quality of care and patient safety. I am determined to ensure our standards remain high, and that we continue to make improvements where possible going forward. Thank you to all those involved in this fantastic achievement.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, Apple said:

private health insurance requirements for some treatments . . . . . . . with free treatment and care means tested. And you HAVE to supply information in order to receive care and treatment.

Which is presumably pretty much where the UK will end up too. I wonder if the IoM might manage to get there faster and with less silly posturing and squealing.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I haven’t seen the latest CQC reports but I know from the UK that they tend to have a template, and tick you off as OK if you match. We almost certainly won’t.

If you know that, then I’m sure that the Executive can work it out - so why engage CQC to report?

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

In good news 

Manx Care’s Operating Theatres Department at Noble’s Hospital has been recognised by the Association for Perioperative Practice (AfPP) with an accreditation for its “gold standard” of practice. 

The AfPP is the UK’s leading membership organisation dedicated to theatre practitioners and improving perioperative care. The Association aims to enhance the quality of care and patient safety by constantly developing and promoting the leading standards for perioperative practice and practitioners. 

Manx Care commenced a Theatre Improvement Programme in April 2021 and had an initial visit in September 2021, where it was noted that there was evidence of good practice and adherence to the AfPP standards, but also areas where improvements could be made. The Association returned in September 2022, when it was found that all recommendations were met and they were pleased to recommend accreditation of Manx Care’s theatres for two years. 

The AfPP assesses teams against standards and recommendations for safe perioperative practice and forms a “gold standard” framework for operating theatre departments to examine service performance and identify potential improvements in patient care.

They noted that it was pleasing to see the progress made and the notable achievements since their visit in 2021, and particularly remarked on the significant work undertaken regarding culture during the past year. They also found, through conversations with staff and observations of practice, that the importance of patient care was evident. Patients were treated with dignity, care and respect, and communication between colleagues and patients was exemplary.

James Watson, General Manager for Surgery, Theatres, Critical Care and Anaesthetics, said: “We are so pleased to be recognised with an accreditation from such a well-renowned organisation as the AfPP. It’s testament to the commitment and dedication of all those in the Theatres teams, and the importance Manx Care places on quality of care and patient safety. I am determined to ensure our standards remain high, and that we continue to make improvements where possible going forward. Thank you to all those involved in this fantastic achievement.”

What does this mean? Would that help the island recruit better quality Doctors, Consultants and Medical Staff?

Well done to all concerned and I’m sure IOMG, Manx Care and Politicos will be patting themselves on the back. No doubt a reception up at the Government House. 

I would rather that Manx Care sorts out the mess that the health service is in. 

• Like 3

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/statutory-boards/manx-care/board-meetings-2023/#accordion

Here are this weeks Manx Care Board meeting papers for anyone with the stamina to read them. 🥵

A lot of work is going on but as ever  finances remain a problem.

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyNoMates said:

seems the government is recrutiing all over the world for nobles now. i know a nurse aborad who has been offered 35k plus relocation costs plus 3 months free accomodation plus a bit of extra cash every month to move here. 

They’ve previously mentioned that they are recruiting a number of health professionals from overseas.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/health/a-quarter-of-posts-are-empty-at-the-hospital-556265

Edited by Banker