IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

6 hours ago, Apple said:

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/statutory-boards/manx-care/board-meetings-2023/#accordion

Here are this weeks Manx Care Board meeting papers for anyone with the stamina to read them. 🥵

A lot of work is going on but as ever  finances remain a problem.

All wrapped up in a lot of jargon.

Good to see internet connection and password on the flip chart in the iMuseum.

I see the Chief Officers Group is extending its remit and including representatives from Manx care now. How much time is taken up with their meetings? They no longer publish minutes.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it should be titled 'existing in the isle of man'.

...or leaving from the Isle of Man....

lost a few these last few years. 

Still, they know best.😀

Wow.

Just finished reading the questions for but written and oral answers on Tynwwald papers next week.

The questions from Ashford and Watterson indicate to me somebody somewhere is considering tightening the leash around "Manx Care" for some reasons. Have we had sufficient time to review progress?

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Wow.

Just finished reading the questions for but written and oral answers on Tynwwald papers next week.

The questions from Ashford and Watterson indicate to me somebody somewhere is considering tightening the leash around "Manx Care" for some reasons. Have we had sufficient time to review progress?

Manx Care was only set up in 2021. It has barely had time to get going. If you follow their board meetings you will know they inherited quite a few problems, missing legislation such as the Capacity Bill, lack of data in various areas etc etc.

They are very open and honest about what they are trying to do. 

26 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Manx Care was only set up in 2021. It has barely had time to get going. If you follow their board meetings you will know they inherited quite a few problems, missing legislation such as the Capacity Bill, lack of data in various areas etc etc.

Does that include the 18 months of shadowing beforehand?

Can you honestly say that anything has improved under Manx care?  The health service was bad before Manx care took over, it is worse under their stewardship.  Questions need to be asked before we spend another 30 million on private companies 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Does that include the 18 months of shadowing beforehand?

Can you honestly say that anything has improved under Manx care?  The health service was bad before Manx care took over, it is worse under their stewardship.  Questions need to be asked before we spend another 30 million on private companies 

Yes They set up a recovery programme to get through a massive backlog of operations.

They did that in partnership with a UK company.

Also a much improved MCALS advice, comments and complaints procedure.

https://www.gov.im/media/1376432/manx-care-draft-required-outcomes-framework-2022-23.pdf

You can see what they are aiming to do which is more than you could with the previous set-up.

I think the major problem is getting staff to come here and remain. That was the same when DHSC ran the whole show itself.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

April 1st  2021 to be precise..🤣

32 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Yes They set up a recovery programme to get through a massive backlog of operations.

Also a much improved MCALS advice, comments and complaints procedure.

https://www.gov.im/media/1376432/manx-care-draft-required-outcomes-framework-2022-23.pdf

You can see what they are aiming to do which is more than you could with the previous set-up.

I think the major problem is getting staff to come here and remain. That was the same when DHSC ran the whole show itself.

So can you honestly say the health service is in a better state now?

Are you a voting board member or one of the other directors suckling at the teet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Questions need to be asked before we spend another 30 million on private companies 

It's not really a question of good and bad. It is whether it meets the needs of the island's population, whether it is effective, is it efficient etc.

Is £300 million per yer sustainable, should we set a limit, what are the services we should have on island, what do we need to buy from off island. I thought this work had been done or was in the pipeline for announcing this year.

I do think a 3 year strategy and a 3 year mandate is too big a stretch at the moment. It needs another 12 months yet. Id like to hear the views of some of the clinicians about their satisfaction about things as let's face it they are the ones actually with their sleeves rolled up and delivering the services. GPs very much as well. ( collective front line views would be very useful as I think the public would have some trust in that approach). 

Written questions from Ashford at the moment are very operational so suggests to me that something is happening. Maybe some big changes to be announced ... may be like a new DHSC Minister on the way ? They are on Manx radio next Monday ....again. (Someone likes to be in the very public eye in my view.)

Questions about salaries of nurses and clinical staff are useful but the questions should also include the managers in Manx Care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Manx Care was only set up in 2021. It has barely had time to get going.

Cope was working for Manx Care from the beginning of December 2020, and Manx Care managers were "shadowing" from January 2021 - I assume that the purpose of shadowing was to see the problems in advance of taking over in April 2021.4

So they have been on the payroll for two years. I do not consider that to be "barely time to get going".

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

So they have been on the payroll for two years. I do not consider that to be "barely time to get going".

How long do you think it takes to turn around 10+ years of DHSC mismanagement- it was 2012 when colorectal surgery got suspended. Were things perfect before that happened? @Apple what’s your view? 

• Sad 1

I assume the UK company was not in a true partnership, but was simply contracted/paid by Manx Care to do certain work.

The recovery programme is of course worthwhile, but I do not see that there is any inventiveness, creativity or originality in this process. The MHKs have decided to sign a few blank cheques, and Manx Care is spending that money.

When Manx Care started they issued a glossy advertising-agency-created brochure which, apart from lots of photos, had the sentence "If we exceed the budget we will have failed" (that brochure has disappeared off the face of the Internet). I though that was a stupid comment to make, as it was clear that the lack of money was a significant problem.

So how did that come about? Why, with the creation of Manx Care, has there suddenly been a few big cheques floating around?

[I had a low opinion of that glossy brochure because the style was that used in selling tins of baked beans, which I did not think appropriate for a group solely concerned with people's health]

• Like 1