IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

But you said she was given time out to recover her composure.  What else should he do? 

I don't make the rules for how the Tribunal operates so I guess its up to him is the point I was making. The other point is that sometimes Barristers are not quite straightforward and clear. I've read novels and watched TV about how they strategise and try to trick people into saying things they either shouldn't or didn't mean. Not relevant in this case I'm sure. 

Though seriously the island will be better off when all this is over. We won't find out the finances, compensation or costs I imagine, but from a reputation point of view then afterwards maybe the damage can start to be repaired, although the Manx Care Board papers showed an amount against four anaesthetists which suggest that is an issue yet to be resolved??

We should aspire to be better than the picture being portrayed, which in my view lets down good clinicians, destroys trust and confidence and leaves a sour taste about how these situations, and others not in the wider domain of public knowledge, have arisen. The public's well being needs it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

You’re absolutely right. 

There really have been no lessons learned. They’re still at it. 

IOMG/Treasury will pay up in a graceless, dismissive and horrible manner. In the process, this ‘tribunal’ or damages hearing will put emotional damage and put Dr Ranson through the wringer, to show the rest of the ‘plebs’ that we are ultimately in control, we pull the strings rightly or wrongly, you will get your damages but you will pay a heavy price - in this case more vitriol and trying to nitpick in point by point rebuttal. Madness, it should be done graciously and move on.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Apple said:

I don't make the rules for how the Tribunal operates so I guess its up to him is the point I was making. The other point is that sometimes Barristers are not quite straightforward and clear. I've read novels and watched TV about how they strategise and try to trick people into saying things they either shouldn't or didn't mean. Not relevant in this case I'm sure. 

Though seriously the island will be better off when all this is over. We won't find out the finances, compensation or costs I imagine, but from a reputation point of view then afterwards maybe the damage can start to be repaired, although the Manx Care Board papers showed an amount against four anaesthetists which suggest that is an issue yet to be resolved??

We should aspire to be better than the picture being portrayed, which in my view lets down good clinicians, destroys trust and confidence and leaves a sour taste about how these situations, and others not in the wider domain of public knowledge, have arisen. The public's well being needs it. 

Completely agree that this whole saga has been immensely damaging for the health service, but also for the whole island in every aspect, not least the damage to the GMP's confidence in its own government, which seems to be of no importance.  At some point someone, somewhere should have made a distinction between self-preservation and preservation of the public good.   As you say, this is not the only example, there are others.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOMG/Treasury will pay up in a graceless, dismissive and horrible manner. In the process, this ‘tribunal’ or damages hearing will put emotional damage and put Dr Ranson through the wringer, to show the rest of the ‘plebs’ that we are ultimately in control, we pull the strings rightly or wrongly, you will get your damages but you will pay a heavy price - in this case more vitriol and trying to nitpick in point by point rebuttal. Madness, it should be done graciously and move on.

Can't disagree. Like the point about graciously. Not even a hint of that today. 

Should never have got to this stage. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Apple said:

I wouldn't presume to know what the Chair thought. Or any barrister come to that. ! I do know it was uncomfortable to watch and probably didn't help the DHSC's case much. Minister involvement, I wouldn't know. Take a guess.

I’ll be surprised if there wasn’t any ministerial involvement. What I would say that the other departmental members will probably remain silent, whilst allowing the departments highly taxpayer paid funded legal representation, trying to chip away in the hope of reducing damages. Perhaps some could argue, that this is bullying a person of the opposite sex, rather intimidating. Still I suppose some would say it could be justified if it saves the taxpayer a few quid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Can't disagree. Like the point about graciously. Not even a hint of that today. 

Should never have got to this stage. 

It could have settled without long and protracted blood letting of a 3/4 day hearing, more cost to the taxpayer, and very negative headlines. Again this is bound to be featured in a Paul Moulton IOMTV bulletins, broadcast to a wider audience. As others have already pointed out, when the island is desperately needing nursing and other medical professionals to come here, to work and more importantly to live, how can this sorry saga be a shining beacon to locate.im and the other Government Quangos obsessed with wasting taxpayer money. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It could have settled without long and protracted blood letting of a 3/4 day hearing, more cost to the taxpayer, and very negative headlines. Again this is bound to be featured in a Paul Moulton IOMTV bulletins, broadcast to a wider audience. As others have already pointed out, when the island is desperately needing nursing and other medical professionals to come here, to work and more importantly to live, how can this sorry saga be a shining beacon to locate.im and the other Government Quangos obsessed with wasting taxpayer money. 

To be fair, we don’t know if a negotiated  settlement had been explored and, if not, which side was reluctant. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be fair, we don’t know if a negotiated  settlement had been explored and, if not, which side was reluctant. 

You are right, I’m sure though in the fullness of time, we will find out. We don’t know what further revelations could come out, or what Dr Ransom has to say.

The first day of the damages hearing has revealed that how Dr Ransom is taking defamation action against Dr Allinson ( if this were to happen in the UK Cabinet, they would resign their role to defend the case). CM Cannan hasn’t come out smelling of roses either or in a glowing light. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

I'm not so sure, as otherwise it will happen again, and again...and again, as it has been happening for many decades. It is a remit for radical change and a rout, if not by this government, then hopefully by people driving it in the next election for the next government.

• Like 6