IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

No comment from me either, other than to say I'll not comment until I have comment to make.

Oh! How about, why 4 of them? Do they play musical chairs around the Op Theatres???

No further comment until someone comments on the procedures that could lead to 4 off charged.

I feel sorry for anyone who dies in unusual circumstance and empathise with the relatives, whether  I know them or not.

I've said it before, the last place for any relatives to be looking is Manx Forums or any other social media, it can only be upsetting?

15 hours ago, James Blonde said:

How many anaesthetists does Manx Care have? 

I would guess a small number so no wonder 4 being suspended would cause mayhem. 

The number of anaesthetists has varied massively over the years. When I started in 2005 there were 6 consultants supported by a few fairly junior anaesthetic trainees. Over the years it became difficult to recruit junior trainees and so these posts were converted to consultants. At the same time, the services offered by the department expanded. In 2005 the ITU was effectively nurse led with occasional input from the anaesthetic department. This changed such that we’ve, quite rightly, had full medical cover. In addition, we now have a pain service, expanded obstetric cover, pre-assessment clinics a critical care outreach service, and a more comprehensive air transfer service (anaesthetists do that too)

At its peak, when I was clinical director over the service there were 15 consultants covering a two-tier 24/7/365 rota supported by another 4 non-consultant posts. At that time, about 4 years ago we had just enough bodies to provide all the services we needed without relying on agency locums. 

Then - a few retirements. Covid. Recruitment across the UK became difficult (everywhere else had similarly expanded and there simply weren’t the people available to do the jobs) A couple of people just left to work elsewhere - at the height of covid the island was a lonely place if you weren’t here with family. Right now we have, I think, 9 consultants, 3 associates, and a couple of semi-retired consultants who’ve come back to help out. That includes the 4 who now, since being referred to the court, will presumably be unable to work. That leaves us with 6+2+2, trying to keep everything running, compared with 15+4 at the peak when it was just about viable. 

This is a big problem. I cannot see an easy solution. With a pending manslaughter case you probably can’t even use the temptation of bags of cash to get people to work here. And it might yet get worse - relying on a couple of retired doctors (who are both excellent by the way) to fill in is tenuous, they can go at any time, and there is likely to be another retirement soon. 

Merry Christmas Everybody. Try not to get ill and need an operation, or an air transfer, or ITU. Manx Care is doing its best to manage the situation, but this really is a perfect storm that even ‘The Wolf’ (I like Pulp Fiction) couldn’t sort. We are still providing emergency cover and ITU, but it’s tight. 

[Disclaimer - the numbers here are from memory and are likely to be reasonably accurate, but I haven’t written this post with reference to the last 16 years HR files in front of me so there might be errors]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 4

Thanks Wrighty, not a great read for the island being an attractive place to live and work or even visit is it !

I'm appalled that government can go on wasting money in the quantities it does, whilst this huge elephant in the room looms closer to disaster. Governments first duty is to safeguard its citizens and it seems we are failing in that basic principle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Merry Christmas Everybody. Try not to get ill and need an operation, or an air transfer, or ITU. Manx Care is doing its best to manage the situation, but this really is a perfect storm that even ‘The Wolf’ (I like Pulp Fiction) couldn’t sort. We are still providing emergency cover and ITU, but it’s tight.“

and there you have it. When you think about the need to manage this parlous situation, there’s a real need to minimize risk. It does make you wonder whether we will see a return to mitigation measures like a 40 limit?

There also needs to be clearer messaging around this media release. What does it mean? In work and counting paper clips, or in work and putting lines in folk? I’d find it very odd if there wasn’t some sort of license to practice restriction?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/anaesthetists-facing-manslaughter-charge-remain-in-work/

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

The number of anaesthetists has varied massively over the years. When I started in 2005 there were 6 consultants supported by a few fairly junior anaesthetic trainees. Over the years it became difficult to recruit junior trainees and so these posts were converted to consultants. At the same time, the services offered by the department expanded. In 2005 the ITU was effectively nurse led with occasional input from the anaesthetic department. This changed such that we’ve, quite rightly, had full medical cover. In addition, we now have a pain service, expanded obstetric cover, pre-assessment clinics a critical care outreach service, and a more comprehensive air transfer service (anaesthetists do that too)

At its peak, when I was clinical director over the service there were 15 consultants covering a two-tier 24/7/365 rota supported by another 4 non-consultant posts. At that time, about 4 years ago we had just enough bodies to provide all the services we needed without relying on agency locums. 

Then - a few retirements. Covid. Recruitment across the UK became difficult (everywhere else had similarly expanded and there simply weren’t the people available to do the jobs) A couple of people just left to work elsewhere - at the height of covid the island was a lonely place if you weren’t here with family. Right now we have, I think, 9 consultants, 3 associates, and a couple of semi-retired consultants who’ve come back to help out. That includes the 4 who now, since being referred to the court, will presumably be unable to work. That leaves us with 6+2+2, trying to keep everything running, compared with 15+4 at the peak when it was just about viable. 

This is a big problem. I cannot see an easy solution. With a pending manslaughter case you probably can’t even use the temptation of bags of cash to get people to work here. And it might yet get worse - relying on a couple of retired doctors (who are both excellent by the way) to fill in is tenuous, they can go at any time, and there is likely to be another retirement soon. 

Merry Christmas Everybody. Try not to get ill and need an operation, or an air transfer, or ITU. Manx Care is doing its best to manage the situation, but this really is a perfect storm that even ‘The Wolf’ (I like Pulp Fiction) couldn’t sort. We are still providing emergency cover and ITU, but it’s tight. 

[Disclaimer - the numbers here are from memory and are likely to be reasonably accurate, but I haven’t written this post with reference to the last 16 years HR files in front of me so there might be errors]

Thank you for such an honest and informative answer @wrighty

All the best to you for Christmas and New Year. 

• Like 3

I have recently had a terrible experience at Nobles re treatment for a serious leg infection, incorrect antibiotics prescribed, Antibiotic drip contained part penicillin when I said I was allergic to it and then discharged after being told the infection was under control, when my leg was still clearly badly infected. 
if it hadn’t have been for my wonderful GP, I ‘m not quite sure how  I would have faired. The whole situation has not given me any confidence in Nobles at all, and been a pretty scary experience

• Thanks 2