IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It isn't VW.  It was said in the MR report today about phone answering times that all surgeries have email appointment booking through patient access.  It would seem not. 

Actually it doesn't - at least not on the online version.  What it says is that:

The DHSC also says all GP practices offer online services through Patient Access for patients to manage appointments and repeat prescriptions.

So you have to register for Patient Access to do those things - the Online Services page for Laxey and Village Walk says you can book appointments, but nothing about email.  It also tells you how to register if you haven't already.  Personally I find it useful for repeat prescriptions and looking at test results at your leisure, but tend to ring for appointments as there's often all sort of extra information that's relevant.  If it's a regular appointment (you're supposed to see the doctor every three months or whatever) then online might be useful as well.

For that sort of reason, I doubt any practices would encourage email booking that because all end up doing is having the same conversation as you would over the phone, but with ten times the time and effort on both sides.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

The acute shortage of nurses etc shows clearly in staffing levels & attracting more is critical, another reason we need more affordable housing to attract staff

https://gef.im/2023/02/01/eds-unsafe-staffing-levels/

You're competing with many other countries.

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually it doesn't - at least not on the online version.  What it says is that:

The DHSC also says all GP practices offer online services through Patient Access for patients to manage appointments and repeat prescriptions.

As far as the Peel Medical Centre goes you cannot book an appointment through Patient Access.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dreamon said:

As far as the Peel Medical Centre goes you cannot book an appointment through Patient Access.

It seems to vary and practices may be enabling features as and when they suit.  Looking at the DHSC website again it's quite carefully worded.  It says 'manage' rather than book and claims that you can use Patient Access to cancel an appointment.  Of course if you cancel, you may well be wanting to speak to someone anyway, to apologise/explain and book a new one, so cancelling online will be of limited use.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It seems to vary and practices may be enabling features as and when they suit.

Indeed.  Kensington activated on-line appointment booking a few years ago.   They switched it off during the covid period - and have only switched it back on relatively recently.   So it’s up to the individual practices.

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It seems to vary and practices may be enabling features as and when they suit.  Looking at the DHSC website again it's quite carefully worded.  It says 'manage' rather than book and claims that you can use Patient Access to cancel an appointment.  Of course if you cancel, you may well be wanting to speak to someone anyway, to apologise/explain and book a new one, so cancelling online will be of limited use.

You would like to think that part of the contract is to have some sort of universal standard for access to the practice, for making and cancelling appointments, maximum waiting time for an appointment etc. This should be the same no matter which practice you are registered at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not insane behaviour - it is sane, deliberate, disgraceful, despicable, vindictive behaviour by members of the Government.

I first became interested in what the previous incarnations of this service were capable of, as employers, back in the late 80s. Since then they have, to my knowledge, dismissed two most decent and very able clinicians, both of whom were known to me both personally and professionally. 

Both ended up with very significant settlements, so there can be no question of employer culpability, yet the taxpayer who ultimately funds this gets to hear nothing due to 'gagging clauses'. I have therefore watched this case with more than average interest...

In both previous cases, the base issue was imo vindictive and vexatious treatment by line managers promoted way beyond their abilities. They were aided and abetted by numpty civil servants (up to CEO level and maybe ministerial level) who understood next to nothing of the professional nuances involved.

In one case, the imo completely innocent defendant was forced to undergo repeated off island medical investigations, clearly to 'get the right answer' (which actually ended up disproving the employer suspicion). 

The line manager concerned was proven to have had 'previous' for defective management yet allowed to continue in post even after this settlement. 

Given the detailed and verifiable knowledge I have of one of these cases, nothing would surprise me now.  I was happy at the time that neither clinician had to undergo tribunal facing a QC (as it was then) but on reflection, the public would have got to know how badly 'we' appear to sometimes treat decent employees.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5