IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

With so many Senior Managers only being employed here for months or a couple of years (weeks in some cases) do they pay back any relocation allowance that they may have received back. As it used to be that if you received a relocation payment and you left within 3 years you were required to refund any money received. 
If Departments don’t pursue this then and use it as part of a golden handshake or any other arrangement then this is disgraceful and a kick in the teeth to the rate payers. 
Perhaps someone in the know could submit a FOI request and ask for these figures. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, quilp said:

It's entirely possible that those short-lived careers end because the new appointee, let's assume one eminently capable and eager to get stuck in, after a while find themselves stymied by a staid, flawed system and culture unprepared for, even fearful of, change.

Wasn't this one of the reasons Spake cited for his departure? Change wasn't wanted or prepared to be accepted?

Although Lord preserve us from the sort of changes that Spake might have wanted to implement...

• Like 1

Half the problem is that they won't appoint locally, from a known, tried and tested pool of applicants in the local workforce. Above a certain job level in the public sector, most resident candidates can go and whistle. They're so blinkered and U.K. 'struck' that the job specs are always designed around outside candidates. There's also a constant economic push to increase the population, bring over the U.K. pound and pump the housing market. Brown envelopes may also be involved. It's such a misguided and corrupt practice, long in the habit, that it's no wonder we get so many useless c**ts.  

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Wasn't this one of the reasons Spake cited for his departure? Change wasn't wanted or prepared to be accepted?

Although Lord preserve us from the sort of changes that Spake might have wanted to implement...

Unisex bathrooms? It's very easy to hide incompetence in a department with hundreds of employees, not so much when its in the low tens. A good CV does not a good worker guarantee.

Big part of the problem is a lack of any continuity. One resigns after 6 months and its three or more months before the replacement is found (usually least worst candidate), do that several times with underlings trying to keep things running before they too quit and things quickly fall apart.

Can imagine 1st day on the job and you have 3 months of emails to navigate trying to find the landmines and meetings up the whazoo as everyone has waitied for the new guy to dsolve heir problems and no-one there to bring you up to speed with the 'unwritten' rules and players. 

They never seem to promote from within.

19 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

Well, no- one,it seems.

But perhaps  attention should  focus on whether there is a common factor here with a number of  of short- lived and disastrous  appointments.

In that case might that factor be those who select, and  very importantly, those who interview and appoint these candidates?
Clearly their success rate, though consistent,  is appalling.

Perhaps that is where the problems lie.

If we are going for Latin  phrases,  then a legal one  would then seem to  apply  “ res ipsa loquitur” 

- “It speaks for itself”

Interviews have never been a good way to appoint people to do jobs and yet we persist with them.

In the same way sending people to prison does not work. But we carry on doing it.

51 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Interviews have never been a good way to appoint people to do jobs and yet we persist with them.

In the same way sending people to prison does not work. But we carry on doing it.

Regarding interviews -  Very much agree  with you that It may not be a good way sometimes, but “ never been  a good way” ?

You can’t just accept what a candidate writes about themself-some folks’ LinkedIn entries are delusional as their CV’s are deceitful!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

Regarding interviews -  Very much agree  with you that It may not be a good way sometimes, but “ never been  a good way” ?

You can’t just accept what a candidate writes about themself-some folks’ LinkedIn entries are delusional as their CV’s are deceitful!

My son avoids people like the plague who have extensive, and repeatedly updated LinkedIn entries. 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, HeliX said:

Must not have been one I've seen. Did assume Dr C was on the verge of quitting, hasn't seemed particularly happy for a while. A shame. Was one of the best practices on the Island imo, and the quality of doctor was superb.

image.png.05b450e7d6099cd2cebc510cd300fd4c.png

On 2/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, MickyL said:

Well she certainly did that! All previous experienced senior managers gone, experienced Social Workers gone! Terrible for the children and families on the Island.

I doubt it was through their own choice. The question is was she pushed or did she fall, perhaps it was another golden hand shake for being crap at her job. Workers had been raising concerns for months but nothing done, HR complicit in all of the failings. Bring back previous Social Workers and Managers to sort this s**t show out! 

I heard similar. I also heard one of the deputy directors who Sally Shaw employed was her next door neighbour! Don’t know how true it is but seems to be the who you know type employment- not what you actually know! In children social services there are very few staff left as the rest are locum workers. In adults social services they all want to leave. 

I hope the children’s inspection tracks from the other inspections as those ones said there was progress- now it will show it’s gone back. Though not sure how accurate it will be as staff have apparently been told what to say to inspectors! 

49 minutes ago, RonWeasley said:

I heard similar. I also heard one of the deputy directors who Sally Shaw employed was her next door neighbour! Don’t know how true it is but seems to be the who you know type employment- not what you actually know!

Not really surprising if the current advert for the Non-Exec Director for Manx Care is anything to go by (see https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16013 )

Do you know someone who could be perfect for this role?

Let them know about this vacancy and refer them via our new Employee Referral Scheme!

You’ll receive £500 (in two equal instalments and subject to conditions) for making the referral, if the person you referred is offered the role!

A total contradiction IMHO to the Nolan Principles they (rightfully) keep going on about in respect of the expectations of conduct in Public Life - but I keep forgetting its 'The IOM where you can'

Edited by Galen
minor typo
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Galen said:

Not really surprising if the current advert for the Non-Exec Director for Manx Care is anything to go by (see https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16013 )

Do you know someone who could be perfect for this role?

Let them know about this vacancy and refer them via our new Employee Referral Scheme!

You’ll receive £500 (in two equal instalments and subject to conditions) for making the referral, if the person you referred is offered the role!

A total contradiction IMHO to the Nolan Principles they (rightfully) keep going on about in respect of the expectations of conduct in Public Life - but I keep forgetting its 'The IOM where you can'

That is so ridiculous it is hilarious and in keeping with current behaviours at all levels of adults and children’s social services