IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

As noted, there has been a rather uninformative release  on a Friday pm about the cessation of Breast Screening.

We may be reading more into the brief announcement than there is.

It may be down to the process of making a statement rather than its content.

ie  not having someone with sufficient  knowledge  who can make an informed statement  around, so it fell to someone who has none, deciding to say nothing rather than something.

In which case, it is predictable  that something more expansive will appear after the week-end.

Nah, it's not like they turned round on Friday morning and said, "I know, let's cancel breast screening! Get someone to tell the suckers"

This is a decision made at a high level after much thought (You'd hope) and the public should to be told why. There may be perfectly good reasons, reading Gladys's and Wrighty's posts on the subject.

I'm interested in how this falls between DHSS setting the stratagy and Manx Care delivering it? Lucky the minister for health can wash his hands of this, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd prefer a letter*, but accept I'm probably in a minority.

*provided they sent it to the right address and not one that i hadn't lived in for 7 (seven) years despite my current one being on the referral letter they were responding to ffs.

Yeah, I like stuff in writing, not next to the 'delete' button.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

And, to state the bleeding obvious, why are appointments made by mail. Phone people - get immediate yes or no as to whether they can attend. No shows (with no phone to cancel) go to the back of the queue. Relying on mail is so last century.

I’ve always got a text reminder  of appointment 2/3 days beforehand 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Can anyone name any other developed country stopping breast cancer screening? I suspect not ….

All European countries offer breast cancer screening, also other forms of cancer screening.

From: The potential of breast cancer screening in Europe - PubMed (nih.gov)

And Alf wants to attract people to the IOM?

image.thumb.png.49957be2cd9e5bbcda2a0cd12f233955.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

All European countries offer breast cancer screening, also other forms of cancer screening.

From: The potential of breast cancer screening in Europe - PubMed (nih.gov)

And Alf wants to attract people to the IOM?

image.thumb.png.49957be2cd9e5bbcda2a0cd12f233955.png

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953622003793

For balance. As I’ve been saying, the evidence isn’t completely clear cut. It probably never will be as it’s not going to be possible to do randomised trials from scratch, as everywhere now screens. 

2 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Over 500 no shows for appointments for Nobles  hospital in January no management information on why these patients did not arrive!

Would  you not think that no shows would be monitored as a matter of good management practice?

Probably never received an appointment through either their incompetence or the post offices.

• Like 1