IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

10 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Well I can't complain at the because I'm going through an illness at the moment and I've had nothing but kindness, promptness and consideration. I am waiting for serious tests so I will let you know how soon that happens.

Best wishes Doc. :flowers:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Well I can't complain at the because I'm going through an illness at the moment and I've had nothing but kindness, promptness and consideration. I am waiting for serious tests so I will let you know how soon that happens.

I was in Nobles as an in-patient last week or so.   I have nothing but praise for the docs and nurses on the front line.   However, it is obvious how much pressure they are under all the time - the overnight shift in particular seemed very understaffed.   Any criticism I’ve made of Manx Care/DHSC is most decidedly NOT aimed at the patient-facing staff, who are doing their best in difficult circumstances.

• Like 9

Looking at the above table I notice a considerable number of cancellations for Ophthalmology services. I had a yearly check scheduled for January 2023 which was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances in October 2022!. So issues seem to have existed in this area for a while.

Mr Hooper, your recent statement about ongoing improvements and addressing aspects that are going backwards needs you to actually do something, now…!.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Does David Ashford not realise that this type of questioning shows his failure during his time as health minister?

No, he doesn’t - it’s a disturbing element of our current political class that the piles of steaming ordure that they leave in their wake is entirely the fault of the current minister.   Ashford has no shame, no guilt, no conscience - “it’s all Hooper’s fault!”.

Having said that, Manx Care do the opposite: if MC endure for another five years, the board will still be blaming the previous regime for the various issues arising; and complaining about the hand they were dealt.

Teflon culture!

Edited by Jarndyce
Edited for clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Individuals with the personality type of Mr Ashford are unable to look inwards. Self reflection is not part of their make up. Instead, blame shifting is the way forward. Line drawn. Nothing to see here, only the intense need to make themselves important once more. 

What was he described as in that report? Was it a megalomaniac in charge? They were being kind. 

Was that a description of him? 

34 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Individuals with the personality type of Mr Ashford are unable to look inwards. Self reflection is not part of their make up. Instead, blame shifting is the way forward. Line drawn. Nothing to see here, only the intense need to make themselves important once more. 

What was he described as in that report? Was it a megalomaniac in charge? They were being kind. 

Spot on. Was the report describing Ashford as a "Walter Mitty" character being kind to him or a suitably apt moniker? Damning either way.

It should not be forgotten. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Manx Resident said:

Looking at the above table I notice a considerable number of cancellations for Ophthalmology services. I had a yearly check scheduled for January 2023 which was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances in October 2022!. So issues seem to have existed in this area for a while.

Mr Hooper, your recent statement about ongoing improvements and addressing aspects that are going backwards needs you to actually do something, now…!.

About 300 cataract operations were cancelled very short term in January as the surgeon had an accident just before scheduled surgeries, a relative got a call 8.30pm on Saturday for a Sunday 12pm appointment.

So it’s something outside control of Manx Care 

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

About 300 cataract operations were cancelled very short term in January as the surgeon had an accident just before scheduled surgeries, a relative got a call 8.30pm on Saturday for a Sunday 12pm appointment.

So it’s something outside control of Manx Care 

We know that all aspects of Manxcare are struggling, but we are never told the whole story. For example, Synaptic were catching up on the cataract operations, I thought things were going well, but in reality the lists haven’t been done in January. I don’t think cataracts can lead to permanent blindness, whereas diabetic retinopathy can and yet appointments have been cancelled for such patients.

As an aside, “Assisted Dying” being brought in at a time when hospital services are struggling to such an extent, with staff shortages, cancelled operations etc would be more questionable than when things are running at gold standards.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

We know that all aspects of Manxcare are struggling, but we are never told the whole story. For example, Synaptic were catching up on the cataract operations, I thought things were going well, but in reality the lists haven’t been done in January. I don’t think cataracts can lead to permanent blindness, whereas diabetic retinopathy can and yet appointments have been cancelled for such patients.

As an aside, “Assisted Dying” being brought in at a time when hospital services are struggling to such an extent, with staff shortages, cancelled operations etc would be more questionable than when things are running at gold standards.

As I said January lists would have been done but surgeon had serious accident, rescheduled for end February 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

As I said January lists would have been done but surgeon had serious accident, rescheduled for end February 

Except that the cancellations referred to in the question were actually for March (the question answer is dated 16 February).  You would have thought a commercial provider being paid millions would be able to arrange an alternative with a couple of months notice.

Now it's possible that all this is all caused by incorrect data and poorly understood computer systems (for example an appointment altered to a different date might be treated as a cancellation and rebooking) but it does seem shocking that nearly 10% of all bookings in March have already been cancelled due to staff shortages- and of course more may be in the up to six weeks before the appointment was due.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:38 PM, cissolt said:

This is a failure of leadership.  If the problem existed when before they took over it should take less than  2 years to resolve. https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/health/nurse-shortage-was-a-problem-before-manx-care-593286

A comment in that article is:

"We did two reviews six months apart and they said the same thing, which gave us confidence we were short of around 92 nurses if we had every single bed open. "

To be willing to wait 6 months to be in a position to know if the organisation is short staffed surprises me.

• Like 3