IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

12 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Your tax dollars at work…

I confess: part of me wants to know to which aspect of Pancake Day the hospital management wanted to alert the staff.

Did they tell everybody to go to confession and absolution before Ash Wednesday?

Are they going to do just Christian festivals?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I've flagged this up previously as a possible communication issue - we get so many that sometimes an important one can get lost in the mist.

It is because some people like to be noticed - therefore infinite drivel is posted on FaceBook and Twitter. There are big red illuminated signs in Ramsey and elsewhere that can be usefully used to warn drivers that the Mountain Road is closed.

They can also be used to tell people to get their annual flu injection, or even  "Warning - Darkness. Use Headlights".

The world is swamped in trivia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

There's been quite a few this week, including one that starts "FOR INFO: Pancake day Tuesday 21st..."

I've flagged this up previously as a possible communication issue - we get so many that sometimes an important one can get lost in the mist.

It's to be nice and cuddly to staff, possibly? 

But you are right, communication overload is as bad as no communication.

The communication with the GMP over the suspension of breast screening was woeful, presumably sent out by someone paid to communicate the message. 

After reassuring us that it was a temporary hiatus to allow for improvements, the reinstatement is delayed. 

The sum total of that particular case study in how to communicate badly, is a success, on how to do it badly. 

But, hey, who cares?  There is no accountability for management who are not proving themselves very good at managing.  The Minister  certainly isn't holding them to account. 

Feel sorry for the medical staff.

• Like 5

On 2/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, Gladys said:

Feel sorry for the medical staff.

…and the nursing staff…and the pathology lab staff…and the radiology and physiotherapy staff…and the pharmacy staff…and the stores and portering staff…and the domestic and cleaning staff…and the kitchen and canteen staff…and all the other various groups of staff who make the hospital work for the patients, in the face of an apparently unaccountable management…

Edited by Jarndyce
Added more staff…
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

…and the nursing staff…and the pathology lab staff…and the radiology and physiotherapy staff…and the pharmacy staff…and the stores and portering staff…and the domestic and cleaning staff…and all the other various groups of staff who make the hospital work for the patients, in the face of an apparently unaccountable management…

Sorry, when I said medical I meant all involved in the frontline delivery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Your tax dollars at work…

I confess: part of me wants to know to which aspect of Pancake Day the hospital management wanted to alert the staff.

It was a message advertising the specials available in the canteen. Which is fine. The catering staff do a great job, they’re proud of what they do, and they make life better for the rest of us. I’m a big fan of them.

But, all the messages come in the same font, with the same headers, and there are too many. Next to the one from the canteen might be one advertising a charity stunt, or a job vacancy, or the GMC coming to visit, or someone’s had a baby…

The important one might get lost by hitting the delete key once too often, and then questions are asked why so few turn up…

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It was a message advertising the specials available in the canteen. Which is fine. The catering staff do a great job, they’re proud of what they do, and they make life better for the rest of us. I’m a big fan of them.

But, all the messages come in the same font, with the same headers, and there are too many. Next to the one from the canteen might be one advertising a charity stunt, or a job vacancy, or the GMC coming to visit, or someone’s had a baby…

The important one might get lost by hitting the delete key once too often, and then questions are asked why so few turn up…

Email fatigue is a very real thing especially in places such as government.  

I once worked for a company that made new starters set up 20-30 email rules to route the various messages to folders, which was a nuisance.  Seemed to them an easier solution than to tackle the actual problem 

Looking through the evidence, if the result is to be believed, the dhss admin staff are incapable of getting the dates right on meeting minutes.

Remind me again how many missed hospital appointments there are every month? I know dhss don't issue the letters but it suggests incompetence might be a common factor 

• Like 4