IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

Recruiting people from outside the UK is all very well, but everything will stay the same until you stop the bullying by middle and senior management nothing will change. Yes, we may fill short-term vacancies. However, we need to address the real issues. The question remains, how many people from the UK have decided not to relocate to the Isle of Man because of all the problems? Middle and senior management are making idol threats against potential whistleblowers. Why is this practice allowed to happen? The misogyny continues. On the Isle of Man, we do not protect whistleblowers, we hang them out to dry and make them defend themselves, and this is not just limited to the Nobles. It's rife throughout Government. Even the Isle of Man FSA is guilty of this. We have management investigating management. They protect their own. Where is the independence? Freedom to flourish is more like the freedom to bully. Why not give whistleblowers anonymity, and encourage those to speak out without the fear of retribution? Rule by fear by those incapable of carrying out their duties.  Government all over, right to the very top.

Edited by Beyond Belief
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

34 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

Recruiting people from outside the UK is all very well, but everything will stay the same until you stop the bullying by middle and senior management nothing will change. Yes, we may fill short-term vacancies. However, we need to address the real issues. The question remains, how many people from the UK have decided not to relocate to the Isle of Man because of all the problems? Middle and senior management are making idol threats against potential whistleblowers. Why is this practice allowed to happen? The misogyny continues. On the Isle of Man, we do not protect whistleblowers, we hang them out to dry and make them defend themselves, and this is not just limited to the Nobles. It's rife throughout Government. Even the Isle of Man FSA is guilty of this. We have management investigating management. They protect their own. Where is the independence? Freedom to flourish is more like the freedom to bully. Why not give whistleblowers anonymity, and encourage those to speak out without the fear of retribution? Rule by fear by those incapable of carrying out their duties.  Government all over, right to the very top.

I assume you have read the reports in Uk of similar issues with several suicides so it’s not just an Iom issue unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

I assume you have read the reports in Uk of similar issues with several suicides so it’s not just an Iom issue unfortunately 

Seems to be a direct result of following a Tory policy is chronic underfunding for mental health services.  The solution seems to be creating a properly staffed and funded mental health service, not creating yet another strategy document.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

I witness this first-hand, as my partner is bullied virtually every day, and I am asked not to retaliate for fear of retribution.  There will come a day though when  'signo dato meo, emitte inferos' because I cannot stand by and watch my partner suffer no more.  It crucifies me..

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Banker said:

But we don’t follow Uk as nurses being accepted onto nurse training courses here don’t have to pay or incur student debt & also get a bursary if I think £5k pa

I think so, but the shortage in the UK means we have a shortage here.

9 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

This might be a solution for a few years down the road (assuming that the students came here to study and also stayed to work) - but doesn’t help right now

I mean do a similar thing to the NI holiday: literally pay their loan payments as they work for us.

1 hour ago, Beyond Belief said:

I witness this first-hand, as my partner is bullied virtually every day, and I am asked not to retaliate for fear of retribution.  There will come a day though when  'signo dato meo, emitte inferos' because I cannot stand by and watch my partner suffer no more.  It crucifies me..

That’s very hard - I can understand why you don’t want to go against your partner’s wishes, but it sounds to me like someone needs a few direct words and maybe the firm smack of retribution.

Any witnesses?   Prospect of a successful grievance or complaint?

Edited by Jarndyce
Punctuation fixed

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

That’s very hard - I can understand why you don’t want to go against your partner’s wishes, but it sounds to me like someone needs a few direct words and maybe the firm smack of retribution.

Any witnesses?   Prospect of a successful grievance or complaint?

Waste of time, they'll only get told " you'll never work on the Isle of Man again"

• Like 2

23 hours ago, finlo said:

Waste of time, they'll only get told " you'll never work on the Isle of Man again"

To be fair Beyond Belief has said his/her / their partner is being bullied.

We don’t know the detail or circumstances or even the extent to which this alleged bullying  ( and it is alleged being a post on Manx Forums) occurred 

It is  bit of a  stretch to say that they will only get told  “you’ll never work on the Isle of Man again”

We do have due process here.

The inference that an individual won’t get a fair hearing  for whatever, smacks of paranoia and a desire to imply that the Isle of Man is somehow institutionally corrupt, which I don’t believe it is.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

To be fair Beyond Belief has said his/her / their partner is being bullied.

We don’t know the detail or circumstances or even the extent to which this alleged bullying  ( and it is alleged being a post on Manx Forums) occurred 

It is  bit of a  stretch to say that they will only get told  “you’ll never work on the Isle of Man again”

We do have due process here.

The inference that an individual won’t get a fair hearing  for whatever, smacks of paranoia and a desire to imply that the Isle of Man is somehow institutionally corrupt, which I don’t believe it is.

Just remind us all how it has worked out for all the whistle blowers to date?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, finlo said:

Just remind us all how it has worked out for all the whistle blowers to date?

If you are referring to Dr Ranson who was seeking£ 6.2 million in some sort of compensation I believe this case is still ongoing.

I don’t know about  “ all “ the other whistle blowers. But I am happy for you to enlighten me.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

48 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So apparently he disappeared without anyone really knowing why or being told beforehand? Something smells fishy at Manx care once more. 

This was only fleetingly discussed at the time of the press release, which surprised me because he was the replacement for Ranson.

So what's the deal with his contract, and why is he being merely seconded? Being entirely cynical I guess that he has an unbreakable contract but has told Manx Care "FU, I'm off". They cannot force him to stay under such circumstances so they save face by allowing him to be "seconded".

I was nowhere near the level of this fellow, but I was once "proactively approached" - but that was because people at the other company knew I was pissed off at the company I was at - because I told them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:49 AM, Two-lane said:

This was only fleetingly discussed at the time of the press release, which surprised me because he was the replacement for Ranson.

So what's the deal with his contract, and why is he being merely seconded? Being entirely cynical I guess that he has an unbreakable contract but has told Manx Care "FU, I'm off". They cannot force him to stay under such circumstances so they save face by allowing him to be "seconded".

I was nowhere near the level of this fellow, but I was once "proactively approached" - but that was because people at the other company knew I was pissed off at the company I was at - because I told them.

Another possibility being that they wanted to fire him, but were worried about another 'Ranson type' Tribunal claim and found some trust that'd take him with Manx Care still paying his salary cica 240 K?