IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

7 hours ago, Nish as reesht said:

Just got the chance to listen to Hooper's response to Q8 in Tynwald yesterday. So, the table was supposedly only an 'error' in so far as the three last entries in the column 'DHSC initial view' (highlighted in the image here), which apparently should have read 'not supported' rather than 'supported'. Everything else still stands (e.g. BMI and operations, perscription charges etc.). Regardless, worth noting that Treasury formulated the budget based on what is in this table.

The question that is left unanswered is: which 'mitigation measures' are actually being implemented? Hooper told Manx Radio on ~12th April that there were mitigations being implemented, and we also know there is a £40m hole. How are they filling it?

8f13eun5vcJh.png?o=1

I agree that there's a funding hole, but of a significantly lesser magnitude. I think the underfunding is about 8 to 10 mill per year. However the waste hole is bottomless and will likely suck in any additional funding in no time at all

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

I agree that there's a funding hole, but of a significantly lesser magnitude. I think the underfunding is about 8 to 10 mill per year. However the waste hole is bottomless and will likely suck in any additional funding in no time at all

Actually if Manx Care is abolished, the funding deficit will be more like 5 to 7 mill and the waste hole smaller

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Let's get shut of Manxcare before it becomes the next behemoth that we have no control over.

Trouble is: they all voted it in.    It’s a big climb-down to admit the error - or admit that it went through on the nod, with no scrutiny.   Not sure any of the current bunch have the integrity to just ‘fess up and make it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, Dr. Grumpy said:

Although there is likely large wastage from Manx Care board / structure etc., if this is put to one side, the funding gap that Manx Care are claiming they have for this financial year (23/24) is £342m - £302m = £40m.

The Treasury only granted £302m for funding the Mandate in the budget this year. The Financial Plan of Manx Care (July 2022), however, states they require £342m to fund everything properly, or £314 for a bare-minimum of trying to meet legal / mandate service requirements. See attached table from the Financial Plan.

The Manx Care financial plan says:

Understanding the wider economic constraints and other priorities that Government must consider, if the funding available was that outlined by the funding formula, then the funding request would amount to £314.2m which is an increase of £31.7m on the 22/23 budget.

However, the impact of this reduced funding envelope is that it would only be possible to cover Priority 1 Unavoidable Cost Pressures in full and part of Priority 2 Statutory & Compliance requirements. There would be a shortfall of £942k against Priority 2. Furthermore, there would be insufficient funding to address the Mandate requirements, or any of the other priorities.

This would have a grave implications for the Department and Manx Care’s ability to deliver against either the Mandated objectives or the requirements of the Island Plan.

The 'other priorities' (3-6) include things like "mandate requirements" ("Advocacy services, Intermediate Care, Flu vaccinations, screening, 111 service, reducing delayed transfers of care from acute and social care settings, reporting on 18 week Referral to Treatment (RTT) performance"), and "core service delivery" (e.g. "implementation of the Ockenden recommendations to bring our Maternity & Women’s Health services up to the expected standards").

Lawrie Hooper said on Twitter that they are unable to fund Priority 2 with the £302m allocated, meaning that unfunded are "Mandatory Training, Safeguarding, Information Governance, Section 115 costs and the impact of implementing the recommendations of the CQC."

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 18.54.50.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

Trouble is: they all voted it in.    It’s a big climb-down to admit the error - or admit that it went through on the nod, with no scrutiny.   Not sure any of the current bunch have the integrity to just ‘fess up and make it right.

..... and exactly what they have just done in respect of the airport ! Manx Care 2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

So will any heads roll?

I think the rolling is all over and done with. 

However, I’d love to be proved wrong. 

In an ideal, fair and suitable world, the major protagonists would assume accountability and resign.  That’s the only way a true culture shift might begin to take place  

Given the personalities involved and the current protective culture surrounding them I think it highly unlikely. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Ashie and Magson done her a favour.

No. They most certainly have not.

Dr Ranson was systematically bullied by both of them. As a result she is now being treated for post traumatic stress disorder and it is unknown when, or if, she will ever be able to return to her previous area of expertise.

No ‘favours’ we’re done. None whatsoever. 

Edited by Roxanne
Correct spelling mistake
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5