IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

6 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Of course, but a good education must be a reasonable  platform. 

What makes a good Hospital CEO? 

- I thought experience would be one critical factor. And she had been doing a similar role previously? 

Of course it is, but as you say experience,  familiarity and track record are also very important.  

Let us not forget that academic excellence can also mask other issues in softer skills. 

1 hour ago, 747-400 said:

Of course, but a good education must be a reasonable  platform. 

- I thought experience would be one critical factor. And she had been doing a similar role previously? 

Not really - her previous health service experience was running clinical commissioning groups.  So she had no hands-on direct experience of running a hospital or whatever.  You could argue it would be suitable for DHSC as it is now, but not before the creation of Manx Care.  And the rather remote way she ran things  suggests that's the way she saw the job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 747-400 said:

On a course I attended many years ago there was a good hospital CEO (judged by his longevity in the role - average is about 3 years) who answered this question. His response was “Appoint good people, let them get on with it”. The fact that he was also previously a senior clinician, who understood how hospitals operate, was possibly relevant. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Because someone has a first from Oxford does not mean that that are competent outside their sphere of knowledge.

Years ago when a degree was unusual and a first anywhere was stratospheric, I knew someone who was a double first at either Oxford or Cambridge. I do not recall which, nor the subjects. I knew him socially, and in day-to-day life he was useless. He also played french horn in an orchestra. Smart in certain subjects, but most of the time useless.

So she has an MBA. Robin Bromley Martin has an MBA - from Insead.

I can judge Bromley Martin's MBA competence from the documentation he has produced for Ramsey Marina.

I can also form an opinion about Magson's personality from the first paragraph of her self-description on LinkedIn. Jeez, how can anyone seriously write that stuff. Can you imagine anyone going into The Trafalgar and spouting that nonsense. "I know how to make bold decisions. I'm going to order a pint of mild".

Actually from an Academic who left Academia I can endorse that. Most are useless in the day to day things of fixing things , simple DIY jobs etc. I and when they are out of their speciality field cant put 2 and 2 together

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Whatever else you can say about Magson as a disengaged outsider, she seems to have fitted in very well with the DHSC local culture of petty spitefulness.  Plus of course the belief that having meetings is all you actually need to do to run something properly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This alleged type of treatment of 'whistle blowers' in the NHS has been highlighted in the UK. There are examples where hospitals, despite having policies which supposedly protect whistle blowers, have been found guilty of doing the complete opposite.

17 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

The media reports refer to a statement from Magson.  I suppose that there is no mechanism to compel her to attend and give evidence at the tribunal in person.

She seemed happy enough to conduct endless, pointless meetings remotely.  I can't see why she shouldn't give evidence at a distance as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1