IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Needs to be more of an independent commission working on it full time, not a part-time committee of 5 MHKs. With powers to call witnesses and independently published. Could be delivered in six months. I still say Chris Robertshaw should chair it. The public demand credibility and people that will get at the truth.

I support this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Just to point out that Greenhow originally came to IoMG from UK MoD, Magson & Ewart came from UK NHS, etc. Asking UK MoJ to review is rather like asking them to mark their own homework. There's been much in the UK news lately about the culture issues in UK Gov't and tensions between Senior Civil Servants & Ministers... they're hardly a paradigm of good governance, IoMG should aspire to be better than them!

Dunno who to suggest tho'.

Yes, I understand that, but we have a line of access into the MoJ, presumably.  They won't be marking their own homework because they haven't created the structure and culture here or worked directly in it.  Any committee with local participation from any part of government will be marking its own homework, inevitably. 

I just cannot think of any other body sufficiently qualified to understand government operations and structures who will have the familiarity.  Absolutely no way some 'independent' consultant. 

It is also important to make a distinction that this review is not about  individual culpability, but to identify the systemic issues and how they can be resolved to address the cultural issues that have allowed these things to fester. 

One massive issue is to clarify the different roles of Tynwald, the minister and his department.   Is he the boss? Is he his department's representative to defend it in Tynwald as we have heard?  Is the minster  a scrutiny or protection role? Or is it to ensure the policy decided by Tynwald is delivered by the department? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://portsoderickherald.wordpress.com/2023/05/05/ashford-ive-been-held-to-ransom/

News. 5th May 2023
Ashford, I've Been Held To Ransom (n)

Shock announcement from former Health Minister
In the wake of this weeks news reports regarding the award of £3.19m in compensation to Dr Rosalind Ransom who was found to have been unfairly sacked from her job as the island’s top medic. David Ashford, Health Minister at the time of Dr Ranson’s mistreatment, has now made a shock announcement.

Contacted by the Herald yesterday for comment in relation to the Ranson affair Mr Ashford said quite candidly “Thank you for calling. I literally just woke up in the shower this morning and I’m still quite surprised to discover that it isn’t 2019 anymore. I don’t know what has happened but I strongly believe that the man who was IOM Health Minister over the pandemic period was actually an impostor employed by former Chief Minister Howard Quayle. As such I believe that I may have been held to ransom for the last three years in a cottage on Mr Quayle’s Middle estate but have now been returned to my family”

He continued “Naturally I was as concerned as everyone else to read the news reports of Dr Ranson’s terrible treatment today. But unfortunately I have zero recollection of anything the person representing himself to be David Ashford has done at any time in the last three years. In fact until I woke up in the shower around 8:00AM this morning the only vague recollection I have is of being held captive by Mr Quayle’s groundskeeper and playing lots of Scrabble to pass the time. I suspect I may have been drugged”.

When pushed by a shocked Herald on what he intends to do next Mr Ashford replied “I don’t know really. I’ve just rung Alf Cannan and I expect to have a meeting later today where hopefully things will become a bit clearer. But I categorically refute and deny anything my impostor did (or didn’t do) in the last three years and pledge that his actions will be investigated to the fullest extent by the IOM Constabulary”.

Do you know the real David Ashford? Can you corroborate this story? If so please confidentially contact the Herald today.

The Editor, the Port Soderick Herald

Twitter: @portsoderickH

Email: tpsh@email.com

David Ashford MHK (or so he claimed)

5d5ab64a5333d.jpg?w=1000

News 5th May 2023 Ashford, I’ve been held to ransom

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Already posted. TBH, not great satire or political comment and adds little to the debate, not even humour.

I am in no way a supporter, BTW. 

ETA referring to the Port Soderick Herald article.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Just to point out that Greenhow originally came to IoMG from UK MoD, Magson & Ewart came from UK NHS, etc. Asking UK MoJ to review is rather like asking them to mark their own homework. There's been much in the UK news lately about the culture issues in UK Gov't and tensions between Senior Civil Servants & Ministers... they're hardly a paradigm of good governance, IoMG should aspire to be better than them!

Dunno who to suggest tho'.

Is there anywhere, any organisation, that is free of corruption, racism, misogyny…

MET police, fire service, NHS, CBI, Hollywood, Theatres, The Priesthood, political parties…

I challenge anyone to find someone that isn’t tainted with allegations about the very practices we’re calling for investigations into. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

It needs to be changed to now - not in a year's time.

Dragging it out as long as possible is CS SOP, we've seen it so many times before, memories become blurred, evidence is "lost" (or shredded), interest wanes, other things come to the fore (or are promoted to the fore in the name of deflection), retirements are conveniently organised and taken.

May 2024 is a piss-take, one might just wonder who was behind the suggestion of it....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

I just cannot think of any other body sufficiently qualified to understand government operations and structures who will have the familiarity.  Absolutely no way some 'independent' consultant. 

Maybe look to the Canadian or New Zealand gov't for expertise? Both Commonwealth, neither are perfect but both are well separated from the UK model? Might be that the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association could provide a pointer to suitable experts from those systems who could review IoM? As I said, dunno, it's a tough one.

Edited to Add: Albeit I suspect from the disclosure that Alf was directly expressing his views to the top of the DHSC CS, bypassing the DHSC Minister, that whatever "structure" IoMG is supposed to operate within was being usurped / undermined by Chief Minister and Chief Sec anyway - clearly players other than the Departmental Ministers have been pulling strings.

Edited by craggy_steve
Alfie

31 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Maybe look to the Canadian or New Zealand gov't for expertise? Both Commonwealth, neither are perfect but both are well separated from the UK model? Might be that the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association could provide a pointer to suitable experts from those systems who could review IoM? As I said, dunno, it's a tough one.

Edited to Add: Albeit I suspect from the disclosure that Alf was directly expressing his views to the top of the DHSC CS, bypassing the DHSC Minister, that whatever "structure" IoMG is supposed to operate within was being usurped / undermined by Chief Minister and Chief Sec anyway - clearly players other than the Departmental Ministers have been pulling strings.

PMSL - Ex CM Quayle remember when he was DHSC Minister went on a jolly to New Zealand with his CEO buddy. What did that achieve? 

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

PMSL - Ex CM Quayle remember when he was DHSC Minister went on a jolly to New Zealand with his CEO buddy. What did that achieve? 

civil servants unhappy at the suggestion of change.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

as the "structure"  is unfit for purpose bypassing it where possible is a sensible option.

43 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

It's a scary thought, but we actually despatch our elected representatives to fledgling foreign democracies in the name of showing them how to engage in good governance 🤭

If we are the tutors, who can teach the tutors? Will this affect our credibility with the CPA?

20 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What did that achieve? 

We most charitably enabled Mr Charters to be reunited with his far-flung relatives, IIRC.

And examined the "Canterbury" model of health care delivery that Howard Quayle discounted on the grounds of it not involving cows in sheds. Or something.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We most charitably enabled Mr Charters to be reunited with his far-flung relatives, IIRC.

And examined the "Canterbury" model of health care delivery that Howard Quayle discounted on the grounds of it not involving cows in sheds. Or something.

I'd love to know what really went on between the two of them. Sadly the relationship never survived the honeymoon.