IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

35 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's a scary thought, but we actually despatch our elected representatives to fledgling foreign democracies in the name of showing them how to engage in good governance 🤭

If we are the tutors, who can teach the tutors? Will this affect our credibility with the CPA?

It will probably improve our standing no end. CPA member Prime Minsters / Chief Ministers will be asking the IoM CM for advice on how to bypass their formal chains of control.

I wonder how much time the members of the select committee will spend on the subject over the next year, and who will do the work that they should have been doing in the meantime.

I would have thought that, given the seriousness of the problem and the depth it extends to, it would have been a full-time job.

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

It will probably improve our standing no end. CPA member Prime Minsters / Chief Ministers will be asking the IoM CM for advice on how to bypass their formal chains of control.

Those CPA Prime and Chief Ministers would probably be better off seeking that sort of advice from our CS, as they've been at it for years....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Those CPA Prime and Chief Ministers would probably be better off seeking that sort of advice from our CS, as they've been at it for years....

Do people think it’s any better other places in the world? There’s lots of issues across crown dependencies , UK in fact most places!,

IMHO, any ‘further investigations’ regarding Dr Ranson’s case will likely be, for political reasons (i.e., ‘this is highly embarrassing’) kicked into long grass. The prospective date for conducting these investigations (May 2024) is laughable. Ironically, this date neatly coincides with the UK’s safety audit of the airport, which could be equally embarrassing. The MO of successive IOM Governments has been to do whatever it takes to protect themselves. They deflect, detract from, denigrate, diminish and deny anything other than what supports their position. They grudgingly admit minor errors and promise that ‘lessons will be learnt’. At the same time, they are contemptuous of accountability and transparency. The current Government is no different to the previous ones. It also consists of rather thin-skinned individuals who are unable to accept constructive criticism.  

I am concerned that the IOMG could try to curtail the powers of all future Tribunals; e.g. under the guise of ‘protecting taxpayers’ money’ they could rewrite the powers of these Tribunals, they could limit the amounts that Tribunals could award to future whistleblowers, etc.. That would be shameful but sadly feasible thing to do – after all, in many ways we already live in DINO land - democracy in name only.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As we head into a recession there’s some very big questions that need to be asked about the public sector we fund from our increasingly unstable jobs and businesses. The £4M wasted here could have funded a lot more nurses, or teachers or other frontline workers. The £25M pissed away on our embarrassing third world promenade shitshow even more. 

What recession?

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

What recession?

You’re obviously not in the real world. 
Things are going from bad to worse both here and UK.  Possibly even more so next year after election in UK and Starmer gets his hands on the economy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, forestboy said:

It’s just delusional and the comment is simply there to try to troll me despite me making it clear I’ve had them on block for all notifications for over 6 months now. They clearly don’t get bored of trying though.

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Needs to be more of an independent commission working on it full time, not a part-time committee of 5 MHKs. With powers to call witnesses and independently published. Could be delivered in six months. I still say Chris Robertshaw should chair it. The public demand credibility and people that will get at the truth.

What actually matters as much as who is on it, is whether it gets the administrative support from Tynwald.  At the moment the various Committees are already stretched with there being very few Tynwald staff that cover them all, without which they can't even meet, never mind get the background research done and have reports written.  You can see this already with the PAC investigation into the Liverpool Terminal.

In this particular case, any Committee will also need a lot of expert help as well, presumably external as there's not the in-house skills at all.  Otherwise setting up a Committee will be just another delaying mechanism.  Tynwald must be prepared to fund the extra help required and get in keen, new experts rather than the faithful regulars who can be relied on the produce the 'right' rather than the true result.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can see this already with the PAC investigation into the Liverpool Terminal.

I bet there's a few people who are very happy with this situation...

• Thanks 1

Would the publishing of the findings of the select committee in a year's time be the end of the road? Would it perhaps be delivered a little late? Would Tynwald then spend a while discussing it? Would another committee be set up to produce a set of recommendations based on the select committee report? Would another committee then be set up to implement the recommendations?

It seems to me that the problems need to be addressed pretty immediately, and there is no one in Tynwald pressing for that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The PAC investigation into Liverpool should have been outsourced to professional auditors if they really wanted some serious examination.  There are too many vested interests in tynwald...who all voted for it...to really.uncover what went wrong. 

The investigation into the ransom affair is pointless.   Nothing will be achieved by it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Things are going from bad to worse both here and UK.  Possibly even more so next year after election in UK and Starmer gets his hands on the economy.

Henderson says economy is booming !

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

Henderson says economy is booming !

Not quite, he says that it's, "Not all doom and gloom" (which might suggest that some if it, in fact, is doom and gloom but naturally he didn't expand on that bit) and that the local economy is showing "Extraordinary Resilience" (though again he didn't expand much on the resilience from what)

All this, of course, from his lofty, MLC-salary-supported tower.

Screenshot_20230506-180908_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1