IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has a nice report of the visit to the island of the Chairman of the British Medical Association. He has described the island as ‘corrupt’ and his calling for a public inquiry. He also says that Manx doctors are working in a culture of fear, said to be amongst the worst in the British Isles. 

I wondered why there were no questions from Manx Radio at the news conference on IOMTV's website.  Indeed the only questions came from Robertshaw, Sam Turton for IOM Newspapers/Gef (who put stuff up straight away), and Moulton.   In fact nothing came up on the MR website yesterday, despite the press conference taking place at lunchtime (nothing yet from BBC, 3FM or Energy either, all of which just seem to print government press releases).

However as well as the news piece they also have put up their own interview with Professor Banfield:

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/manx-newscast/episode/bma-manx-doctors-working-in-corrupt-system-with-a-culture-of-fear/

He doesn't hesitate to describe the system as corrupt and it's quite clear that problems continue.  He also describes the politicians as being "not in power" and those who are being the problem.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typos and missing words
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wondered why there were no questions from Manx Radio at the news conference on IOMTV's website.  Indeed the only questions came from Robertshaw, Sam Turton for IOM Newspapers/Gef (who put stuff up straight away), and Moulton.   In fact nothing came up on the MR website yesterday, despite the press conference taking place (nothing yet from BBC, 3FM or Energy either, all of which just seem to print government press releases).

However as well as the news piece they also have pup up their own interview with Professor Banfield:

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/manx-newscast/episode/bma-manx-doctors-working-in-corrupt-system-with-a-culture-of-fear/

He doesn't hesitate to describe the system as corrupt and it's quite clear that problems continue.  He also describes the politicians as being "not in power" and those who are being the problem.

You wait, the usual IOMG cheerleaders will be decrying your post. Damning, but the longer that a) silence from IOMG goes on b) IOMG inaction on culture change and c) The proposed inquiry into the RR Tribunal isnt set up quickly, with a fast report delivery, then each week will see a constant stream of negative damaging headlines affecting IOMG. That’s not including any new tribunal applications. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Tie that in with Alf's own most recent edicts along the same lines and it's quite obvious that there is a problem with the governance of the Island and that it has now been very publicly identified.

What is to be done about it and where we go from here is another question...

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-65562080

"A world-renowned cancer centre hit by whistleblowing concerns over alleged bullying has been downgraded by the health watchdog.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) told The Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester it "requires improvement" in safety and leadership.

A former trust nurse told the BBC leaders had intimidated staff to stop them voicing concerns to inspectors."

Sounds familiar!

I also note on Magson's LinkedIn there has been a further revision, scrubbing all references to the healthcare industry. Perhaps a rebrand and diversification into other areas is planned? She probably rues leaving, she would no doubt have been in line for a £250k payoff as part of the house clearing if she was permanent.

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

She has a doctorate in philosophy and a masters in history.

https://gef.im/2022/05/12/blocked/

We knew it wasn't mild from the various news reports showing bodies pilling up in China and Italy.

Why did she over rule Ranson and follow public health England? In my view, it was the easy option and meant we could copy and paste the UK policy.  Dr Ranson wanted a Manx solution.

I don't know if she has a "doctorate in philosophy" or a masters in history*, but either is entirely irrelevant as she was, of course, a fully qualified medical doctor whose specialty was Public Health at the time - otherwise she wouldn't have been appointed to the post of Director of Public Health.

Henrietta EWART (2856492) - Doctors details page - GMC (gmc-uk.org)

I'm not defending her by the way - it's just that you seemed to be giving the impression she wasn't a medical doctor.  She is (or was) a medical doctor but I think her conduct towards Dr Ranson throughout all of this has been thoroughly reprehensible and beyond comprehension...

*I'm not sure the link to Gef mentions either qualification, but I do seem to recall that it was mentioned earlier in the thread that she had a masters and PhD in the relevant subject of the history of public health medicine.  But I may have made that up

I think too many people are focusing on the issue of whether the advice given by Dr Ranson was right and whether the IoM government was right in dealing with it as they did.

I think all that is irrelevant.

What is important - regardless of whether Dr Ranson's advice was right or wrong - is that she was treated so appallingly badly by colleagues, managers, civil servants and politicians all of whom should have known better.

As I understand it the BMA is not (and the Manx public should not be) complaining that her advice wasn't followed, they are complaining that she was bullied, ignored, harrassed, sidelined and had her career irreversibly damaged by the organisation she was employed by, and that civil servants and other public officers stood by and let it happen - or were even complicit in it!

That's what needs to be addressed.

That, and whether anything be done to prevent it happening again.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't know if she has a "doctorate in philosophy" or a masters in history*, but either is entirely irrelevant as she was, of course, a fully qualified medical doctor whose specialty was Public Health at the time - otherwise she wouldn't have been appointed to the post of Director of Public Health.

Henrietta EWART (2856492) - Doctors details page - GMC (gmc-uk.org)

I'm not defending her by the way - it's just that you seemed to be giving the impression she wasn't a medical doctor.  She is (or was) a medical doctor but I think her conduct towards Dr Ranson throughout all of this has been thoroughly reprehensible and beyond comprehension...

*I'm not sure the link to Gef mentions either qualification, but I do seem to recall that it was mentioned earlier in the thread that she had a masters and PhD in the relevant subject of the history of public health medicine.  But I may have made that up

Why does the link you posted  from the GMC  say that she does  not have a license to practise?  

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Why does the link you posted  from the GMC  say that she does  not have a license to practise?  

Because she handed it in last July (see Doctor's History Tab on the link).  Presumably it would be no longer required if she has retired and the renewal fee was due on 1 August.

(The fact about her doctorate in history was pointed out by me, by the way, though I did also say she was a medical doctor first)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Probably because she's retired and let it lapse.  Retired doctors can I believe maintain registration for a nominal sum but relinquish the license.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Because she doesn't face patients anymore, I don't think you're required to be licensed to practice if you're in a management position, not dealing with sick people.   Or just because she's now retired, she doesn't need to renew it.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

" Dr Gilby alleges the problems began when a new chairman, Ian Haythornthwaite, was appointed in late 2021.

She claims that soon after joining the trust, Mr Haythornthwaite - a former BBC accountant - sought to "intervene and influence, and ultimately to control, many operational matters" beyond the scope of his job."

A former BBC accountant.... This is another example of the idea that a manager does not need to know anything about the business - a manager can manage anything (so long as they get paid enough).

Good job that didn't happen here with MC's first chairman. Oh- hang on..........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because she handed it in last July (see Doctor's History Tab on the link).  Presumably it would be no longer required if she has retired and the renewal fee was due on 1 August.

(The fact about her doctorate in history was pointed out by me, by the way, though I did also say she was a medical doctor first)

Thank you.  Knew I'd seen it somewhere.

She's well qualified on paper.  Not so sure about her "people" skills though:

"I've no idea who you are or what you're talking about"

"I'm Dr Ranson"

"Stop badgering me!  I'm blocking you" or something like that.

Wonder how she was with patients...