IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

55 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/union-to-escalate-ranson-case-to-uk-health-secretary/?fbclid=IwAR32_xWA8CMewzquaiPUqUVoLok5piaagZh_OToJsUqsuH05fUfIVPBQ3sA

Union to escalate Ranson case to UK Health Secretary

Saturday, May 13th, 2023 6:20am

"We will take on whoever needs to be taken on, because we must see justice done"

The Chair of Council at the British Medical Association has revealed his intention to escalate issues being faced by doctors on the Isle of Man to the UK Health Secretary.

Professor Philip Banfield says the Dr Rosalind Ranson case is wider than just a handful of select people but also includes those who've moved to the UK where they aren't subject to Manx laws.

The Union says a culture of fear that medics are facing is among the worst in the British Isles and taking these steps isn't 'extraordinary', but 'necessary'.

Professor Banfield told Manx Radio he wants to make sure people are held accountable: An audio clip follows.

Hopefully CM Cannan will take this seriously enough to actually implement immediate and profound change, rather than tinker and kick the can down the road because it will upset various vested interests. Though I would say the chances of him doing anything is slim. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The MLP have been waffling on the NPM adding their two pennerths worth, saying now is the time to invest in Manx Care and to recognise nurses. I agree wholeheartedly, and would recognise all the decent and hardworking staff at RCH, Surgeries and Nobles. However, throwing money at things isn’t the solution, perhaps looking after money, spending it wisely, getting more for taxpayers etc. Perhaps making unpopular decisions and charges, if the proceeds are ploughed back into the service? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The MLP have been waffling on the NPM adding their two pennerths worth, saying now is the time to invest in Manx Care and to recognise nurses. I agree wholeheartedly, and would recognise all the decent and hardworking staff at RCH, Surgeries and Nobles. However, throwing money at things isn’t the solution, perhaps looking after money, spending it wisely, getting more for taxpayers etc. Perhaps making unpopular decisions and charges, if the proceeds are ploughed back into the service? 

The missed appointments are a prime example.  Until DHSS and manxcare identify why they are being missed, a combination of shambolic booking system and some genuine reasons with the odd no show, charges shouldn't be implemented.  

• Like 2

I have an appointment every couple of months, I get a text reminder the day or so before.  Last appointment, no text but I had it in my calendar.  So I rang the appointments number and let them know in case they had a glitch in the system.  The person I spoke to couldn't understand that that should be checked  and may account for some no shows. 

It works mostly and people rely on it to remind them.  When it doesn't, I would bet that it will account for a number of no shows, yet it is so simple to get right. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Last appointment, no text but I had it in my calendar.  So I rang the appointments number and let them know in case they had a glitch in the system.

Text reminder is great and I’m signed up for it at GP, hospital and dentist: but anyone with a calendar or a diary has no actual excuse for missing an appointment.   Paper/ink remain unaffected by computer glitches.

eta: …or is that irredeemably Luddite? 😉

Edited by Jarndyce
eta
  • Thanks 1

You have an appointment. The onus is on you to attend,  or cancel if you have to.

I am sorry but it’s not that difficult. If I have an appointment with my GP or at the hospital I am aware of it,and note it in whatever way I find best be it calendar, diary of phone app. I do not rely on any text or some such from the appointer to remind me., nor should I

Im also aware that missing such appointment slots without advising that you have to means that somebody else loses their opportunity to use that spot.

Surely that appointment is that important that you don’t cancel it without a very good reason.

I remember one time only when I was unable to make an appointment. I rang up to advise I couldn’t make it. Was offered a new date and thanked for letting them know. 
The NHS is a precious resource, it shouldn’t be abused.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You have an appointment. The onus is on you to attend,  or cancel if you have to.

I am sorry but it’s not that difficult. If I have an appointment with my GP or at the hospital I am aware of it,and note it in whatever way I find best be it calendar, diary of phone app. I do not rely on any text or some such from the appointer to remind me., nor should I

Im also aware that missing such appointment slots without advising that you have to means that somebody else loses their opportunity to use that spot.

Surely that appointment is that important that you don’t cancel it without a very good reason.

I remember one time only when I was unable to make an appointment. I rang up to advise I couldn’t make it. Was offered a new date and thanked for letting them know. 
The NHS is a precious resource, it shouldn’t be abused.

What about when you had an appointment , you turn up for it as required and your receptionist tells you you missed a appointment a few days earlier. Knowing fully you didn't as I am very careful to write any appointments down and also I get a text to remind me at the time of making one and the day before its to happen. I too feel many of the no shows are firmly at the feet of the system and at booking staff. And as for the hospital and appointments there they can be a complete shambles. I have had two letters for the same issue with same Consultant but on two different days three days apart. Another time a letter arriving for an appointment at hospital in the post midday , normal time to receive , and it was for earlier that morning…Do they count these times in there no shows ?. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

It isn’t being abused. The system is that flawed and inefficient a lot of the time it’s not the publics fault that an appointment has been missed or that an attempt to reschedule hasn’t been successful. 

Well if it’s not your fault, explain why. Copy texts, show letters ( like the two Numbnuts refers to above). I once turned up for a restaurant booking, told there was no booking in name, showed them the email confirming my reservation on my phone. Apology was made and shown to our table.Mistakes do occur but  there is always an audit trail of some sort which can prove if you have been wronged.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

What about when you had an appointment , you turn up for it as required and your receptionist tells you you missed a appointment a few days earlier. Knowing fully you didn't as I am very careful to write any appointments down and also I get a text to remind me at the time of making one and the day before its to happen. 

Well show the receptionist your texts, tell them you turned up for your appointment, describe your experience during your appointment ( without going into medical details). Invite them to  talk to the person with whom you had your appointment to verify that you didn’t miss your appointment. Not difficult.

37 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Maybe we could get David Ashford to upgrade the system VoR?I hear he’s an absolute wizz at coding and I’d have no doubt he that with his also well renowned project management skills that he could have the system and IT issues fixed in a week. 

Well you could always ask him if you think that might be the solution.

• Haha 2

I would just add, let's hope the BMA do not black line job adverts for medical jobs in the IOM

I recall the BDA did just that in the late 80s/early 90s due to the alleged despicable treatment of one of their members here.