IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

46 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

But at end of 2020 DHSC pre Manx care, had a CEO (off island) a shadow CEO and 2 deputy CEO And 1 MD

it sounds as if this MD is far more that a doctor in MD role and brought a lot to the table. 

Well a Medical Director only brings to the table what a MD does.  In most NHS organisations I'd expect the Chief Exec to get paid more than somebody who was "only" the medical director.  So unless Dr Ranson was actually seeing patients in a clinical capacity (which I would have thought was unlikely but I may be mistaken?) in addition to her MD role, then I'd expect her to be paid less than the chief exec.

When the hospital I worked for first became an NHS trust, the consultant who was appointed Medical Director did happen to be the highest paid employee in the trust.  But that was because he continued to work virtually full-time in a clinical role and see patients and because he was also in receipt of various "extras" (at the time they were called merit awards) that consultants basically awarded amongst themselves.  From the point he left the highest paid employee was always the chief exec.

As regards paying for more than one MD at a time - well I can sort of understand that during a transition period to a commissioner/provider relationship.  But I hope the two deputy CEOs were simply other director level employees who stood in as and when for the CEO.  They wouldn't have been full-time deputies (I hope!)

[Edit:  Bear in mind I write the above from the perspective of my experience of a "normal" NHS organisation.  I appreciate the difference here is that the role is more akin to a Department of Health role than the NHS, but I still have difficulty accepting that a place the size of the IoM needs a DoH role at all]

Edited by Ghost Ship

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

It would shock you how many work vans get left overnight and their cars left their all day and the number of Douglas workers leaving the car and getting the bus into town using it as a park and ride.

Its staff that park there, trust me I have spent a lot of time there and if you go there at a weekend, when you can't get a "proper" doctor or consultant, we, unlike the UK still do 5 day a week hospital cover, you  will see the difference..........

iT COULD BE EASILY SORTED

The staff/ Drs/ Consultants need to park in the overflow bit of  rough ground but that would mean they have to walk...........

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Well a Medical Director only brings to the table what a MD does.  In most NHS organisations I'd expect the Chief Exec to get paid more than somebody who was "only" the medical director.  So unless Dr Ranson was actually seeing patients in a clinical capacity (which I would have thought was unlikely but I may be mistaken?) in addition to her MD role, then I'd expect her to be paid less than the chief exec.

When the hospital I worked for first became an NHS trust, the consultant who was appointed Medical Director did happen to be the highest paid employee in the trust.  But that was because he continued to work virtually full-time in a clinical role and see patients and because he was also in receipt of various "extras" (at the time they were called merit awards) that consultants basically awarded amongst themselves.  From the point he left the highest paid employee was always the chief exec.

As regards paying for more than one MD at a time - well I can sort of understand that during a transition period to a commissioner/provider relationship.  But I hope the two deputy CEOs were simply other director level employees who stood in as and when for the CEO.  They wouldn't have been full-time deputies (I hope!)

[Edit:  Bear in mind I write the above from the perspective of my experience of a "normal" NHS organisation.  I appreciate the difference here is that the role is more akin to a Department of Health role than the NHS, but I still have difficulty accepting that a place the size of the IoM needs a DoH role at all]

I don't think that if the CEO or the MD gets more than the other makes any difference.

What really matter is ARE THEY ANY GOOD AT THEIR JOB

That is the problem here on the island. Lots of Gov employees being paid top money for being average or worse...........................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Good will stop people parking there all day & also need to tow away the twats parking on pavement 

Inconsiderate and selfish people. It is a common complaint, parking issues, and whilst there are supposed to patrol the grounds, the same cars are blocking the drives within the car park, which means using the car park across the road at the Rugby Club. I have no issue with that but it’s hard if you have difficulties walking and are going for X-ray, seeing the Consultants or for Bloods. Though if car park charges are introduced, I have no qualms paying.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Latest on tribunal, sounds like Magson only argument is that Ranson wasn’t good at her job but has no proof of it & apparently no witnesses either!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ex-dhsc-chief-exec-denies-blocking-medical-directors-media-appearances/

This may end in tears, recriminations and a large cost to the taxpayer. Add it to the list of almighty screw ups. 

• Like 2

Am i the only one who gets mad about this we can spaff £70 mill on a building on another island but suddenly everyone is up in arms about £10 mill on the healthcare for island residents.

Personally i'd like to know when Manx Care and the DHSC get a shitload of caveats to that money (you know cost. efficiency savings, workforce savings etc etc) The construction companies making a ferry terminal can spend money like water??

• Like 3

21 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agree that old argument about commuters blocking spaces out is bollocks. 

21 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Its staff that park there, trust me I have spent a lot of time there and if you go there at a weekend, when you can't get a "proper" doctor or consultant, we, unlike the UK still do 5 day a week hospital cover, you  will see the difference..........

iT COULD BE EASILY SORTED

The staff/ Drs/ Consultants need to park in the overflow bit of  rough ground but that would mean they have to walk...........

This is true.  Being a bit of a car nerd, having a bit of a photographic memory and knowing a few Docs, whenever I go up there and try and park, I'll spot the cars of Dr X, Y & Z. 

9 hours ago, The Chief said:

Am i the only one who gets mad about this we can spaff £70 mill on a building on another island but suddenly everyone is up in arms about £10 mill on the healthcare for island residents.

Personally i'd like to know when Manx Care and the DHSC get a shitload of caveats to that money (you know cost. efficiency savings, workforce savings etc etc) The construction companies making a ferry terminal can spend money like water??

Personally, I want to know why they are doubling up in DHSC, seems 30 new management rolls developed mirroring staff that moved to Manx care, that is costing millions that could go to front line.

That’s on top of Cabinet office posts developed for DHSC/Manx Care fiascos.  Why they need a CEO for a small team is beyond comprehension, all the budget goes to Manx Care doesn’t it? 

6 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Personally, I want to know why they are doubling up in DHSC, seems 30 new management rolls developed mirroring staff that moved to Manx care, that is costing millions that could go to front line.

That’s on top of Cabinet office posts developed for DHSC/Manx Care fiascos.  Why they need a CEO for a small team is beyond comprehension, all the budget goes to Manx Care doesn’t it? 

Because that's what happens when you privatise or corporatise an organisation.  You still need the same number of managers to actually run it and make it function.  But the parent organisation which pays for it needs to employ extra people to make sure they are running it correctly and meeting targets and so on. 

This probably also means that the first organisation then needs to employ even more people to deal with the people who are monitoring them.  Then there's all the lawyers to draw up the contracts and all the people involved in renegotiating them when they don't work (which also means that more payments need to be made).

To make it worse a lot of these extra costs are 'fixed' irrespective of how big or small the organisation is (eg the contracts will be almost as elaborate for a small organisation).  So if you're on the Isle of Man where every organisation is small, these inevitable overheads will eat up an awful lot of money.

This was all predicted by some of us when Manx Care was set up and Ashford and the rest simply lied and said it wouldn't happen.  The truth is they hoped it would mean that when things went wrong with the health service they would have someone else to blame, but it won't even save them from that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This was all predicted by some of us when Manx Care was set up and Ashford and the rest simply lied and said it wouldn't happen.

I believe IOMG were buying into the DHSC/Manx Care model just as the UK NHS were moving away from it, due to - guess what - duplication of management roles, extra cost for no extra benefit, etc.   Not sure that Sir JM did the island any favours, really.