IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Doesn’t really matter what confidence I have in local politicos if the enquiry is being conducted by a retired judge or a KC.

Enquiry first, then implementation. If they fail to implement, then there’s the ballot box. If they don’t and we don’t, then would I trust UK politicians more than ours? No. Not this lot. They are an even worse joke of self interest and incompetence etc than you say ours are.

When is enquiry due in and when is next election?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/letter-to-the-editor-david-ashford-owes-dr-ranson-an-apology-616807. Letter to the editor:

David Ashford owes Dr Ranson an apology

29th May 2023

"In his Manx Radio interview with Phil Gawne on May 20 former health minister David Ashford says Dr Rosalind Ranson deserves ‘a great apology’ from the Isle of Man Government, but has declined to apologise himself because ‘there was nothing in the tribunals findings that actually questioned my behaviours towards Dr Ranson’.

Dr Ranson’s 202-page decision document seems to beg to differ with Mr Ashford’s selective memory.

For example, on page 23 Dr Ranson’s KC Mr Segal summarised the evidence of the minister as ‘practised and diplomatic seemingly guided by the principle of deniability of anything potentially inconvenient’; page 23 refers to the tribunal considering the evidence of the minister as ‘not always consistent or easy to support’; and page 42 sees letters of recommendation being sent to minister Ashford on behalf of Dr Ranson when he believed everything Kathryn Magson said against Dr Ranson.

Mr Ashford put a chief executive officer’s advice before a medical director regarding medical information which caused a delay in closing the borders."

Edited by Cassie2

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The BMA could decide to do their own Inquiry into professional standards if they're not satisfied with a weak UK response or a Tynwald finagle. It wouldn't carry full legal powers or address the wider questions but they have the money, the time and the professional muscle that could really damage the IOM.   

They’ve probably shelled out a million funding legal fees of which they might get half back. They want payback by dictating terms of the inquiry and keeping the public momentum going to that end. No way they’ll fund anything more themselves.

4 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

"In his Manx Radio interview with Phil Gawne on May 20 former health minister David Ashford says Dr Rosalind Ranson deserves ‘a great apology’ from the Isle of Man Government, but has declined to apologise himself because ‘there was nothing in the tribunals findings that actually questioned my behaviours towards Dr Ranson’.

I noticed this before.  Ashford seems to be trying to spin it that he wasn't criticised in the Remedy Decision[1] and so is therefore let off, while, as the letter points out, there was a lot of criticism in the original Liability Decision where he was mentioned over 100 times, not usually flatteringly.

As ever, Ashford seems to be relying on this fantasy where the Minister is somehow legally obliged to believe everything their CEO tells them and do everything their CEO instructs them to do (and nothing else).  But the Tribunal made it quite clear that this was nonsense, as it would be in any organisation.

And this may be why the Ranson Tribunal has been so threatening to them.  It undermines the cosy relationship where politicians have the perks and the position, while the civil service is able to do exactly what they want.  The responsibility lies nominally with the politicians, but because it's understood they are only obeying orders, there are never any consequences for them.  Occasionally a CEO has to be 'sacrificed'[2] by being very expensively paid off, but that's nearly always the end of it.

[1]  Which isn't quite true as he's mentioned with regard to two occasions where he should have taken on board Ranson's concerns.

[2]  As I keep on pointing out the role of the CEO isn't to run the Department, but to run the Minister, which is why they often need an Operations Director of whatever to actually run things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ashford should be gone from public life if integrity and accountability entered anywhere in his psyche. Hooper should not be far behind him. All I see from Hooper is an inability to stop digging himself into a hole. Anyone who can't see themselves digging ever deeper, is too stupid to be our Health minister. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TZZDlY8dKE

The above is a link to rather than directly to the YouTube video because, for once in my life, I would like to make a serious comment.

Friday night during TT is not a good time to be publishing this video, and even less so for commenting on ManxForums where articles have a lifetime of about 10 minutes.

This video is 15 minutes long. In my opinion, it is worth sobering up and spending the time to listen to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Great work by Paul Moulton again, and a reminder that people died because the Island's Chief Medical Director was over-ruled and bullied by a U.K. civil servant with no medical training or expertise. Backed by the DHSC, the Minister and senior Manx politicians. It still manages to shock even now...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

43 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Great work by Paul Moulton again, and a reminder that people died because the Island's Chief Medical Director was over-ruled and bullied by a U.K. civil servant with no medical training or expertise. Backed by the DHSC, the Minister and senior Manx politicians. It still manages to shock even now...

Many of the bullies are still working on the civil service or as mhks.  One of them was even awarded an MBE.  Truly appalling.

Does anyone have faith that the COVID inquiry is going to hold any of these people to account?

• Like 4