IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

7 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I believe IOMG were buying into the DHSC/Manx Care model just as the UK NHS were moving away from it, due to - guess what - duplication of management roles, extra cost for no extra benefit, etc.   Not sure that Sir JM did the island any favours, really.

Generals are always prepared to fight the last war - Churchill.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I believe IOMG were buying into the DHSC/Manx Care model just as the UK NHS were moving away from it, due to - guess what - duplication of management roles, extra cost for no extra benefit, etc.   Not sure that Sir JM did the island any favours, really.

A fair number of people on Manx Forums, some I suspect with NHS experience here and/or in the UK, made that very point as well at the time.  And criticism wasn't restricted to MF.  So the Government can't say they weren't warned, but it was the usual problem that they thought 'something' should be done and this was 'something'.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Latest from tribunal, some strange behaviors like blocking phone numbers of senior colleagues!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/director-of-public-health-blocked-medical-directors-number/

Especially as she was asking for public health advice. Is it possible that all of the people in senior positions were assholes? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Latest from tribunal, some strange behaviors like blocking phone numbers of senior colleagues!

The press statement says it was a text message, not a phone call.

To me, text messages, emails, and letters on the doormat, are handled when convenient for me. I do not understand the thinking of Ewart to block a phone number because of the time of day a message arrived.

Maybe she is one of these people who feels they have to react immediately any time a text or email arrives.

(When I was working I preferred getting emails rather than  phone calls - easier to manage workload, easier to find the time to get the response necessary).

Edited to add:

If I get a strange text message I just ignore it. What the hell was going through her mind that she felt she had to answer it.

Edited by Two-lane

33 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The press statement says it was a text message, not a phone call.

To me, text messages, emails, and letters on the doormat, are handled when convenient for me. I do not understand the thinking of Ewart to block a phone number because of the time of day a message arrived.

Maybe she is one of these people who feels they have to react immediately any time a text or email arrives.

(When I was working I preferred getting emails rather than  phone calls - easier to manage workload, easier to find the time to get the response necessary).

Edited to add:

If I get a strange text message I just ignore it. What the hell was going through her mind that she felt she had to answer it.

Texts are sent by your mobile phone.  From the press report, she blocked the number after Dr Ranson identified herself.  Odd behaviour, a. to be bothered by a text received for the reasons you give, no need to answer it straight away and b. to consider it an imposition to be sent a text at a late hour by the medical director in the middle of a pandemic about the pandemic. 

It was late, and old fashioned etiquette was always not to call people after 9 in the evening, but not too unreasonably late given who it was from and what it was about. 

But this was around the same time as the Dr Glover carry-on and the lovely smile comment at a presser.  Perhaps there was an awful lot going on and the pressure was being felt by everyone leading to odd behaviour. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps there was an awful lot going on and the pressure was being felt by everyone leading to odd behaviour.

This was (for some still is) a stressful time. But apart from the fact that these people work in an industry where people die almost every day (I could not handle working in that environment) these are highly paid, highly skilled, people doing significant jobs. I do not expect people in their position to throw a wobbler when pressure is put on them.

Of course all I have read are the press reports, which are merely a summary of  the days events. I would be interested to see the transcript if one is ever released.

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This was (for some still is) a stressful time. But apart from the fact that these people work in an industry where people die almost every day (I could not handle working in that environment) these are highly paid, highly skilled, people doing significant jobs. I do not expect people in their position to throw a wobbler when pressure is put on them.

Of course all I have read are the press reports, which are merely a summary of  the days events. I would be interested to see the transcript if one is ever released.

I agree, just throwing a more kindly spin on things. 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

9.45pm. what sort of time is that call/txt someone? even MF is shut down by then????

Some people still work then especially if you are directly involved due to a pandemic. do you never work out of hours when there is an emergency