IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

"However, Simon Devonshire KC, who put forward the department's case, said the DHSC is yet to receive a breakdown of the costs, and is unable to move forward until it receives the paperwork from Dr Ranson's team, adding that it was unlikely Mr Falkowski would seek to sue Dr Ranson for lack of payment."

My bold.

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

Mr Stewart said the Employment and Equality Tribunal thought it had proceeded to what was "finality" in awarding compensation in May, and had not anticipated there would be a "second bite of the cherry", which could be costly for the taxpayer.

We all know what thought did.

Even if this gets no further, but I hope it does, you can hear the sphincters clenching. I'm beginning to think £3m was a small price to pay (given other ways tax payers money is spaffed up the wall) for the ripples of panic and sleepless nights within the various departments. Not that they'll reflect that it is probably only a small fraction of what Dr Ranson has suffered.

21 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Mr Stewart said the Employment and Equality Tribunal thought it had proceeded to what was "finality" in awarding compensation in May, and had not anticipated there would be a "second bite of the cherry", which could be costly for the taxpayer.

We all know what thought did.

Even if this gets no further, but I hope it does, you can hear the sphincters clenching. I'm beginning to think £3m was a small price to pay (given other ways tax payers money is spaffed up the wall) for the ripples of panic and sleepless nights within the various departments. Not that they'll reflect that it is probably only a small fraction of what Dr Ranson has suffered.

From the Paul Moulton piece, the financial aspect of this second claim is not thought to be substantial,  but there is a matter of principle that remains unsettled, apparently. Both he and CR hoped the parties would seek an early resolution.  You would think that the award had taken all losses incurred by Dr Ranson into account, but let's see what the Tribunal decision says. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

She really is giving it both barrels.

I think suggesting that they are panicking is clutching at straws there is any kind of conscience or guilt from anyone associated with this.  It seems to me that they all know that they are not going to answer to anyone and personally get away with it all.  No person has been held accountable, just a department, so really the only ones being punished are the tax payers who's money pays off Ranson.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, Two-lane said:

When Moulton misses the point, it really stays missed, doesn't it?  You'd think after all these decades covering court cases, he'd have realised how costs are awarded, but no.  The trouble is he reacts to everything emotionally, which isn't the best way of understanding legal procedures.

He's clearly picked up that the Tribunal (presumably Stewart) are unhappy about having to deal with all this again.  What he doesn't realise is that this is because normally in employment tribunals, the 'done thing' is for both sides to sort out the final financial settlement privately between them.  Both will be paying their own legal costs so it makes sense to come to an agreement and not incur any more. 

So both sides will go into the negotiations with various unresolved issues which suit their side - this is why Ranson hasn't dropped the secondary case and is looking to raise additional points that happened outside the adjudicated period and why the DHSC is saying the work done by her husband shouldn't be included in the assessment.  A normal employer would come to a compromise based on all these.

But of course this isn't a normal employer.  It has infinitely deep pocket - they just happen to be ours.  So they can keep on employing KCs at sky-high rates to try to string things out for as long as they want.  Simply out of spite and unwillingness to accept they were really wrong.  They don't care about cost or destroying the Island's reputation or the viability of the NHS or having useful, productive employees.  All they care about is getting their way and the more things go against them, the nastier they get.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Which is why we need the UK to investigate this whole thing and bring it to a close - fast. 

Frankly the UK has more than enough similar problems in its own health service.  A number of recent cases have been quoted, here's another one from last week:

Police investigate dozens of deaths at hospital in Brighton

where whistleblowing surgeons were sacked.  They need to put their own house in order first.  That's before you realise that that the current UK government's 'solution' for the NHS is to buy everything at twice the price from their mates (and the opposition only differ by having a slightly different set of mates).  Intervention from the UK would probably just mean they flogged the Manx NHS to Michelle Mone for a  couple of quid and we end up paying three times what we do for no service at all.

This is a Manx problem caused by Manx politicians' neglect, cowardice and laziness.  We have to pressurise them to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Frankly the UK has more than enough similar problems in its own health service.  A number of recent cases have been quoted, here's another one from last week:

Police investigate dozens of deaths at hospital in Brighton

where whistleblowing surgeons were sacked.  They need to put their own house in order first.  That's before you realise that that the current UK government's 'solution' for the NHS is to buy everything at twice the price from their mates (and the opposition only differ by having a slightly different set of mates).  Intervention from the UK would probably just mean they flogged the Manx NHS to Michelle Mone for a  couple of quid and we end up paying three times what we do for no service at all.

This is a Manx problem caused by Manx politicians' neglect, cowardice and laziness.  We have to pressurise them to fix it.

That'll never happen.

• Like 1

The tribunal also revealed the Clerk of Tynwald has requested copies of the evidence after the court voted in support of a select committee-led investigation into the department's handling of the case.

Mr Segal suggested Tynwald may struggle to navigate the evidence due to the quantity of it, but Mr Devonshire felt it would be appropriate for the investigation to see it in its entirety as it was presented to the tribunal.

I can only wonder what the reaction on here would have been if it had been the Department’s KC objecting to supplying evidence in its entirety to the investigation