IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Ultimately the only people able to properly silence them are the voters of Onchan and Ramsey at the next election.

Unless he does something absolutely heinous, (apart from his blog) Callister will be there until his dying day. Hooper’s done though. He won’t get back into Ramsey. No way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Unless he does something absolutely heinous, (apart from his blog) Callister will be there until his dying day. Hooper’s done though. He won’t get back into Ramsey. No way. 

I cannot see many of them getting back in, it’s the worst petty , small minded, self serving group of MHKs we have had .

They have no interest in what is best for the Isle of Man , they are only interested in their own political careers .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, Mann O Mann said:

I cannot see many of them getting back in, it’s the worst petty , small minded, self serving group of MHKs we have had .

They have no interest in what is best for the Isle of Man , they are only interested in their own political careers .

I would put bets that the CEO Quayle got ministerial signature from Hooper before Hooper left, no one is saying which Minister which in itself is telling.

More than likely Callister wiped Quayle’s backside and Hoopers ladies backed Quayle and Hooper.  It’s about time they stopped treating public like idiots.   They got Callister out so Cannan had no choice but to reinstate Hooper. 
CEO Quayle is sitting smug, civil servants run the show. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

I would put bets that the CEO Quayle got ministerial signature from Hooper before Hooper left, no one is saying which Minister which in itself is telling.

Never mind now we have the Ranson enquiry overseen by Caine, Maltby & Peters. They may well have appointed Curly, Larry & Mo

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/top-lawyer-will-lead-review-into-ranson-case-621922

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

Never mind now we have the Ranson enquiry overseen by Caine, Maltby & Peters. They may well have appointed Curly, Larry & Mo

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/top-lawyer-will-lead-review-into-ranson-case-621922

So Sarah Philomena Cunk will be disappointed she didn't get the Judges Torvil and Dean she wanted, after she heard  Hooper say" Rob Callister was walking on thin ice over the appeal".

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

This is arguably the biggest enquiry in a generation and we should be fielding our strongest political representatives. No disrespect to any of them but this requires experience, knowledge and gravitas; not a round of Buggins' turn. It looks poor, as if once again Tynwald have misjudged and misread the situation. Perhaps they still don't get it. I'd have co-opted one or two retired members if necessary to steer it through and provide oversight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

This is arguably the biggest enquiry in a generation and we should be fielding our strongest political representatives. No disrespect to any of them but this requires experience, knowledge and gravitas; not a round of Buggins' turn. It looks poor, as if once again Tynwald have misjudged and misread the situation. Perhaps they still don't get it. I'd have co-opted one or two retired members if necessary to steer it through and provide oversight. 

Who do you think has the gravitas etc. to oversee this inquiry? 

It is absolutely the biggest inquiry that we have seen, but who would you nominate to co-opt?

It all comes down, yet again, to an apathetic electorate and lack of party politics.  I cannot even think of any elder statesmen worthy of being drafted in, TBH. 

Perhaps this whole debacle will wise up the ordinary person on the Bus Vannin bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being devil's advocate, perhaps the Tynwald overseers should have been one obvious dissenter (Claire Christian), one obvious supporter (I couldn’t possibly suggest who, but it may challenge) and the third a fence sitter. 

The best hope is the KC will have a few meetings with the MHKs and tell them plainly how it is going to roll or he isn't going to jeopardise his reputation. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The selection of the Committee went completely against the Tynwald convention that if someone has pressed for something to be investigated, then they are usually appointed to that Committee.  In the case the idea came from Claire Christian and was only taken over by CoMin when it became clear that it would be passed whether they wanted it or not.  So to leave her off was clearly deliberate.

This is especially obvious when you consider that a lot of Tynwald members were effectively ruled out of selection as being past or current members of the DHSC or Cabinet Office or being on CoMin or family ties.  So there wasn't much choice.  It gets even more ridiculous when you consider it came down to a vote between her and Stu Peters and Stu voted actually voted for Christian and not himself.  Which suggests even he wasn't keen.  But the Cannan bloc were clearly determined on anyone but Christian.

As usual with these things the election was a bit shambolic, inevitably mishandled by Skelly, and clearly Christian should have been on the Committee.  Also Mercer, with his computer background, would have been more useful than Maltby (Caine seems to have been agreed on by both sides).  The result though is that it looks to outsiders as if the whole thing has been set up to be a whitewash (as the investigation into the sacking of Callister clearly was) and Richard Wright KC will have to work hard to convince people otherwise.

• Thanks 3

Whilst we are about it can we not sort out the murky sub justice card they keep playing, Before a KC pulls there trousers down and gives them another spanking in public. And I do not mean by the AG somebody whom knows what they are talking about, Look at the Ranson case.  Oh AG what should we do "Nothing she has not a leg to stand on". Oh AG what should we do about the derailment report "Nothing just spout shit about it not being available to the public as commercially sensitive". Seeing the size of the the department you would think one of them actually knew something of the laws we live under, Not the we are the AG take what we tell you as gospel, What do you mean legally we can not do that. WE ARE THE AG, what do you not understand 

Meanwhile the latest tribunal decision has been published:

https://www.judgments.im/content/ET 21-20 Dr Rosalind Ranson V Department of Health and Social Care (Order).pdf

as discussed previously it was a bit of a ragbag in what it covered.  From the various odds and ends considered (in order of appearance):

• The parties had worked constructively and had agreed the precise sum to be paid to Dr Ranson and in fact £2,597.653.41 has now been paid to her to satisfy the 2nd May Decision. This is the award net of tax. The gross award had attracted headline figures of an award of about £3.2 million.
  • The Clerk of Tynwald (Dr King) had asked for access to all documentation for their latest Inquiry.  Both sides are happy to release it to them, irrespective of what happens with any further litigation, but please take the lot as "The alternative task of filtering the documents may have become contentious".  Quite
  • Ranson's husband (Dr Falkowski[1]) is (probably) entitled to be paid for the work he did for her[2] before the BMA took over the case, especially for work since a formal agreement was signed in October 2021.  But all the relevant paperwork needs to be sorted out.
  • The second complaint was only ever intended to be a back-up and if the Ranson side want to continue with it they'll have to come up with some really good reasons.
  • Please go away and sort it out between yourselves.  Which is what should have been done in the first place.

I'd like to hope this is the end of it (though probably not as much as Douglas Stewart does) but the ability of senior civil servants to drag things out out of spite shouldn't be underestimated.  But even they must have realised that the more this goes on, the more annoyed the legal system will get.

[1]  One of the oddities of this case is how many of those involved have been musicians.  Magson was a music graduate and organ scholar; Falkowski started as a professional orchestra violinist; King started as a musicologist and Ranson also plays.  None of this seems to resulted in much harmony.

[2]  Or at least the 70% that the taxpayer is having to stump up due to nearly everyone on the government side behaving badly.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  One of the oddities of this case is how many of those involved have been musicians.  Magson was a music graduate and organ scholar; Falkowski started as a professional orchestra violinist; King started as a musicologist and Ranson also plays.  None of this seems to resulted in much harmony.

I think Ewart was too, although I can't recall what?

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I play the viola so there's a good chance we could get a COVID quartet together if there's a cellist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4