IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

All I got was her waxing lyrical about it having the best toilets she'd ever seen and how she'd got a spectacular wash and blow dry to round off her visit.

Confession : Last time we were in Japan on an organised tour our party took it in turns each night to go first and then report back on what extra features the facilities had in that night's restaurant ... it was very entertaining.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Anyone said:

All very interesting , but how much are we paying them? 
definition of a non executive director is that they are like a bidet - they look good but no one knows what they are for and add no value.

Aren’t any locally based Ned’s on £20k with more for Uk based ones to presumably cover travel 

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I have a friend who went out for a posh meal at the weekend. I asked her to send me an update.

All I got was her waxing lyrical about it having the best toilets she'd ever seen and how she'd got a spectacular wash and blow dry to round off her visit.

No mention of the food.

Are you sure she said "dry" and not "job"?

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Aren’t any locally based Ned’s on £20k with more for Uk based ones to presumably cover travel 

The salary would surely be the same, with additional costs incurred by off-Island NEDs for travel etc being covered by claiming expenses in the usual way.  How much though is another matter.  The initial proposal was that:

2.6.4 [...]The remuneration of other non-executive members will be determined by the chair, advised by the chief executive and director of finance. Yearly expenditure on nonexecutive remuneration will be published as part of the Manx Care annual report to the Department and Tynwald.

Which is what you would expect and see in the Annual Report of any company or other organisation (even the famously opaque Manx Radio one).  But looking at the Annual Report for Manx Care for 2021-22, which about a third of it seems to be devoted to how wonderful the Board are, nowhere does it seem to mention the NED fees are was proposed.

We do however know how much they were paid in total for that year because Ian Kermode put in an FoI, and after being mucked around in the usual way (Manx Care claimed they didn't know how much it was) was told in December that it was £138,879.71.  One of the NEDs resigned in December 2021 because of illness, so this would be payment for an equivalent of 4.7 NEDs or so.  So it's around £30,000 a year each.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, Zarley said:

Bidets* are ace. It's non-executive directors I'm not so sure about.  

*A primary school friend's parents were immigrants from Italy, were well off and had completely renovated their house. My first time visiting my friend at home, her mum showed me to the bathroom and I immediately spotted the bidet and asked what it was for. She said it was for washing your feet.

Puzzled over the way her face turned bright red when telling me this, I later asked my friend what the deal was. She told me it was actually for washing your "bits", not feet, and I've been a fan ever since. Never had the privilege of having one myself, mind. But I thoroughly enjoyed visits to my Italian friend's house. 😊

I went to someone's house once who had a separate bathroom and toilet upstairs.  The bidet was in the bathroom, not in the toilet.  It's vexed me ever since. 

• Haha 1