IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

On 5/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

As was said many times by many people on here when Manx Care was first proposed...we all look forward in 5 years to the enquiry about why Manx Care was first proposed.

Every 5 to 10 years we look into failing social care and health systems here...and learn...nothing.

Yup...this.

We never fix problems or get to the root of what's wrong. We just appoint another big white chief who digs the hole even deeper, inevitably fails and makes things even worse. It's always a managerial solution to an institutional problem and it always costs millions, without any tangible improvement or result. I've seen it a hundred times.

• Like 1

Missuscee has been told that she has a 4.5 year for an appointment with an orthopaedics consultant  for a potential knee replacement and 18 months for an appointment with a urology consultant. 

She had an appointment with another consultant today to follow up on an investigative procedure undertaken in early June. She received a phone call on Monday cancelling the appointment without providing any explanation. She has received a new appointment today for mid-October - over 4 months after the procedure was undertaken. 

Appointments should not need to be cancelled at short notice - it smacks of a complete lack of basic organisation. Having said that I have been on the end of a short notice cancellation and on my next visit to the clinic noticed a photograph of the "team" for this speciality at an awards ceremony in the UK which took place the day after my cancelled appointment!! 

When is someone going to get to grips with this organisation and provide a service to the community?? 

Instead of spending money on re-housing The Peggy they need to sort out the basics. Don't even get me started on how they can waste the thick end of £100m on a shed in Liverpool. 

Any suggestions on anything we can do would be appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So Manx care overspend, 17% of that will be the cost of the management team of manx care. Another useless wankfest of managerial positions that is fast becoming not only an upside down triangle but soon to rival the pyramid of king tut. I can only guess at the ponzi schemes running that salivate when they see ours 

It’s lots of things including spending on private consultants to do the cataracts, orthopedics etc 

Also like most public health services it’s underfunded for the demands on it particularly with an aging population.

We need increased taxes for all if we want a better health system, it’s no good all the retired people saying they’ve paid all their lives & demanding instant healthcare for whatever they’re problem is, fact is we all living longer which is why pensions age keeps increasing & we need to have NI or health premiums on everyone according to income for life!

15 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

Missuscee has been told that she has a 4.5 year for an appointment with an orthopaedics consultant  for a potential knee replacement and 18 months for an appointment with a urology consultant. 

She had an appointment with another consultant today to follow up on an investigative procedure undertaken in early June. She received a phone call on Monday cancelling the appointment without providing any explanation. She has received a new appointment today for mid-October - over 4 months after the procedure was undertaken. 

Appointments should not need to be cancelled at short notice - it smacks of a complete lack of basic organisation. Having said that I have been on the end of a short notice cancellation and on my next visit to the clinic noticed a photograph of the "team" for this speciality at an awards ceremony in the UK which took place the day after my cancelled appointment!! 

When is someone going to get to grips with this organisation and provide a service to the community?? 

Instead of spending money on re-housing The Peggy they need to sort out the basics. Don't even get me started on how they can waste the thick end of £100m on a shed in Liverpool. 

Any suggestions on anything we can do would be appreciated. 

This is *the* man for knees if you can afford private care, cost ~£16k. London or Southampton.

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

like most public health services it’s underfunded for the demands on it particularly with an aging population.   We need increased taxes for all if we want a better health system,

Funding is only one part of the equation.

We need to be spending it more effectively - and that DOESN’T mean Management and Board-driven so-called “efficiency” drives and “cost improvement plans” which look good on the annual report but are either a) impossible to implement or b) impact front line staff to the point where they can’t do the job that they trained for.

Arguably one of the least effective and efficient uses for millions of pounds of public funding was the creation of the arms-length SMDS (Senior Management Duplication Scheme) known as Manx Care.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

We never fix problems or get to the root of what's wrong. We just appoint another big white chief who digs the hole even deeper, inevitably fails and makes things even worse. It's always a managerial solution to an institutional problem and it always costs millions, without any tangible improvement or result. I've seen it a hundred times.

You’ll see it a hundred times more, until the UK finally gets it right and we can pay a consultant to come over and implement the correct solution.  “Manx solutions for Manx problems” - provided the UK have done it first.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

You’ll see it a hundred times more, until the UK finally gets it right and we can pay a consultant to come over and implement the correct solution.  “Manx solutions for Manx problems” - provided the UK have done it first.

And what will then happen is we will tweak what the UK have done to Manxify it, making it even less workable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Manx Radio News reported that nurses are marching through Douglas next week to gather support for a pay rise.   Manx Care say they have no money . Potless and pityfull ,what a situation , not really covering themselves in glory and really no ongoing plans to improve it seems.

• Like 1

One of life's mystery's is why don't you lot just adopt UK laws where they are applicable?

As someone pointed out on here a while ago you don't even have proper regulations for power tool use at work.

When I did business on the island it was always said - "Assume Best Practice as per UK Rules"  - Which is fine for H&S events, but you then find the favoured companies in your line of work cutting corners to win work and you can't do anything about it legally.

After much experience of this culture, I came to the firm conclusion that it was left that way, to allow IOM gov departments CS to be lazy, do whatever they liked without fear of breaking any "Laws or Regs", and/ or employ their mates.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:36 PM, Banker said:

The private patients wing has been getting used for the cataract & orthopaedic treatment as far as I know, certainly a relative of mine had cataract done & I they’ve cleared back logs.

Also renal community clinic is based there plus some offices as no room in nobles.

OK, the previous private patients wing is currently being used as office space. Although, IMHO, this is a scandalous waste/ misuse of public property, it would be infinitely worse if the operating theatres were used as office space…I maybe wrong but I have been told that very few elective NHS procedures (bar emergencies) are taking place on Saturdays and Sundays, and therefore these valuable resources are being underutilised.

Genuine question:

Why can’t Manx Care hire the operating theatres to the private doctors on weekends (this is standard practice in some UK hospitals)? Doing this would raise additional funds which could be used to treat NHS patients and therefore reduce waiting lists for patients like ENT patients, etc, etc. Surely, the current ‘private patients wing’ office space users could be relocated somewhere else… everyone would therefore benefit?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, code99 said:

Why can’t Manx Care hire the operating theatres to the private doctors on weekends (this is standard practice in some UK hospitals)? 

Allegedly its because our hospital admin is incapable of charging it out correctly and it would result in the NHS subsidising private care due to their incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Why can’t Manx Care hire the operating theatres to the private doctors on weekends (this is standard practice in some UK hospitals)?

Do we have the nurses and other support staff to do this (not counting the privately paid consultant surgeon and anaesthetist)?   Or would you expect the current staff to just buckle down and absorb the extra sessions?

eta: one for wrighty, maybe?

Edited by Jarndyce