IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Nurses in IOM to strike, that £10m for ferry terminal would have resolved issue 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nurses-to-go-on-strike/

£10million? I would say that figure will be increased. In fact the Tynpotwald order to borrow suggests that it’s like a repeat prescription, permission will be given for the £10m and more can be used without seeking Tynpotwald authorisation. 

That £10million would go a long way towards resolving the issue but I don’t think either CM Cannan, Hooperman or Allinson want to resolve the issue. 

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

If it was not previously known, @1:03 in the above video states that the five main people involved were Will Greenho[w], Caldric Randall, Mark Lewin, Kathryn Magson, and Dan Davies.

I think it had been inferred that was the list in the past, but it's nice to have it explicit.  And of course it explains the continued resistance.  If Greenhow had to go, why didn't his effective successor Randall?  Davies' position seems a bit ambiguous - was he arguing for earlier restrictions (perhaps under police advice) and outvoted?  It might explain why they took so long to confirm him in post.

Heard Cope on the NPM shouting about reopening private care at Nobles. Must be the next futile attempt to claw in revenue, to prop up pensions for the great and good of the civil service. Oh and the MHK's. Wonder how much this is going to cost us, lay out 4.7million to take 2.6million declare it great success. Typical government accounting. I know its at arms length, in your dreams. Only the blame is arms length.

Private care is a distraction. We need to focus on improving healthcare for everyone. If people can't pay to queue jump, they'd be more keen to take an interest in the running of health and social care.

Same with private schools really. If people couldn't pay for private education, they'd soon be more interested in how schools are run.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

b8f1800269c9980a.png

2 hours ago, Keyop said:

Private care is a distraction. We need to focus on improving healthcare for everyone. If people can't pay to queue jump, they'd be more keen to take an interest in the running of health and social care.

Same with private schools really. If people couldn't pay for private education, they'd soon be more interested in how schools are run.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

b8f1800269c9980a.png

I fundamentally agree with you. If it was up to me many services, including education and health, would exclusively be in public ownership. Finland, incidentally one of the ‘happiest countries’ in the world, does not have private schools. Most EU countries offer universal healthcare to their residents but this maybe means-tested (e.g., Ireland’s ‘free at the point of use’ healthcare is only available to low-income earners), and there are also various types of health insurance.

Over the years, the UK went on privatisation spree of every imaginable public asset. The results have been very mixed e.g., the NHS is gradually being royally screwed. Many British medical professionals (although not nearly to the same extent as their American counterparts) have embraced the idea of a ‘market economy’ for their services. And why not – if teens can earn hundreds of thousands of quid working in the rapacious e-gambling industry, which does very little to benefit the society as a whole, why the people who save other peoples’ lives on daily basis not also be handsomely rewarded for their efforts?

As far as this Island’s healthcare system is concerned, it seems inevitable that some patients, rather than languishing on waiting lists will be willing to go private - they are going private, not in our hospital, but in the UK’s hospitals, and even further afield. I believe that in order to preserve NHS for the majority of the Island’s residents, Manx Care will need to reinstate some form of private healthcare. At least that way some of the money that is being spend off-Island will stay here, and be a boost to Manx Care’s coffers.

Finally, personally I agree with everyone who had previously posted that the creation of Manx Care was a big mistake, but this is another story altogether. This mistake goes into a basket of other blunders like; the film industry, MUA/ME unauthorised loans, Douglas Prom, Liverpool Dock, etc, etc.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, code99 said:

I fundamentally agree with you. If it was up to me many services, including education and health, would exclusively be in public ownership. Finland, incidentally one of the ‘happiest countries’ in the world, does not have private schools. Most EU countries offer universal healthcare to their residents but this maybe means-tested (e.g., Ireland’s ‘free at the point of use’ healthcare is only available to low-income earners), and there are also various types of health insurance.

Over the years, the UK went on privatisation spree of every imaginable public asset. The results have been very mixed e.g., the NHS is gradually being royally screwed. Many British medical professionals (although not nearly to the same extent as their American counterparts) have embraced the idea of a ‘market economy’ for their services. And why not – if teens can earn hundreds of thousands of quid working in the rapacious e-gambling industry, which does very little to benefit the society as a whole, why the people who save other peoples’ lives on daily basis not also be handsomely rewarded for their efforts?

As far as this Island’s healthcare system is concerned, it seems inevitable that some patients, rather than languishing on waiting lists will be willing to go private - they are going private, not in our hospital, but in the UK’s hospitals, and even further afield. I believe that in order to preserve NHS for the majority of the Island’s residents, Manx Care will need to reinstate some form of private healthcare. At least that way some of the money that is being spend off-Island will stay here, and be a boost to Manx Care’s coffers.

Finally, personally I agree with everyone who had previously posted that the creation of Manx Care was a big mistake, but this is another story altogether. This mistake goes into a basket of other blunders like; the film industry, MUA/ME unauthorised loans, Douglas Prom, Liverpool Dock, etc, etc.     

let’s not forget some new residents or work temp contractors can’t get nhs so companies offer private as incentive. Iom private patients made money just bad management didn’t manage it properly and killed it.  Manx care is just another layer of same civil servant management structure, money goes to layers of management who don’t want to be accountable and doesn’t get to front line.  It’s just a joke for such a small island who utilise off island care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, Banker said:

IT’s Treasury who control money & would need to advance more funds , instead of offering higher paid civil servants more they should be offering more to lower paid eg 10% for all on £30k or less, 7.5% 30-50 & so pay pot is still c6%

There are a lot of grand titles over 35k that are effectively administrators, no decision making powers and no accountability. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

let’s not forget some new residents or work temp contractors can’t get nhs so companies offer private as incentive. Iom private patients made money just bad management didn’t manage it properly and killed it.  Manx care is just another layer of same civil servant management structure, money goes to layers of management who don’t want to be accountable and doesn’t get to front line.  It’s just a joke for such a small island who utilise off island care. 

Well according to Locate Isle of Man:

Patients from the UK who are temporarily residents here, on holiday or working for a period less than 3 months, are able to register with a GP. Temporary residents from the EU or further afield may be charged for seeing the GP.

So they can access the services straight away, they might just have to pay for a short time.  But it's hardly worth setting up a separate system for a handful of people.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Patients from the UK who are temporarily residents here, on holiday or working for a period less than 3 months, are able to register with a GP. Temporary residents from the EU or further afield may be charged for seeing the GP.

So they can access the services straight away, they might just have to pay for a short time.  But it's hardly worth setting up a separate system for a handful of people.

That’s a different thing, it states patients and temporary, the costs would be billed to U.K. probably for the temp situation 

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If that’s true why do we automatically de-register all Manx students from GP and dental services the minute they set foot off the ferry? Once again new residents getting something we can’t even bother extending to our own people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is the report mentioned:

https://www.gov.im/media/1379878/the-hscc-annual-report-2022-23_compressed.pdf

Here is Manx Radio's report of the press statement:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-regulations-drafted-to-modernise-health-services-consultative-committee/

And here are some interesting bits in the video:

5:26 to 7:51

9:58 to 12:29

15:28 to 16:32

Rants, bullying, oversight committees being eliminated. Just another day.

• Like 2