IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

This thread started with this comment.

'UK Ministers have ordered an audit of NHS jobs as part of a probe into departmental spending on civil service jobs which could lead to a thinning out of highly paid posts in the health service.

Stephen Barclay, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, has ordered every government department to submit a report into how many staff they have on the payroll.'

I think we should be pushing for a similar process to be carried out here on the island.

There must be duplication between DHSC and Manx Care.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

This thread started with this comment.

'UK Ministers have ordered an audit of NHS jobs as part of a probe into departmental spending on civil service jobs which could lead to a thinning out of highly paid posts in the health service.

Stephen Barclay, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, has ordered every government department to submit a report into how many staff they have on the payroll.'

I think we should be pushing for a similar process to be carried out here on the island.

There must be duplication between DHSC and Manx Care.

You're right, but who's going to push for it ? At a time when we should've been downsizing, cutting waste and duplication, and improving front-line services; we managed to create a whole new executive tier within the DHSC. It still takes some getting your head round and now we're stuck with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You're right, but who's going to push for it ? At a time when we should've been downsizing, cutting waste and duplication, and improving front-line services; we managed to create a whole new executive tier within the DHSC. It still takes some getting your head round and now we're stuck with it.

It’s not there that’s main problem it’s cabinet office who have c500 staff with many on £100k+ , Wannenburgh has been pushing for reductions 

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I have a friend whose son is looking for a job so they’re keeping a weathered eye on the vacancies. She tells me that there are new CS jobs flooding into the gov. website every day. Yesterday she counted ten new ones. 

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You may well be right about Alf but I think the public would be surprised at how little real power the Chief Minister has. He does what the Chief Secretary, A.G. and the Chief Execs tell him, all backed up by Home Office statute. I've often wondered too about the real influence of the President of Tynwald. I can't believe that when the post was created it was for purely ceremonial office. What powers came with it ?

I asked Bard for you -

"The powers of the President of Tynwald in the Isle of Man are defined by the Tynwald (President) Act 1990. The President is the presiding officer at the sittings of Tynwald Court in Douglas and is elected by the members of Tynwald from amongst their number. The President has the following powers:

• To preside over the sittings of Tynwald Court and to ensure that the proceedings are conducted in accordance with the Standing Orders of Tynwald.
  • To authorise the Order Paper for sittings of Tynwald Court.
  • To control the procedure of Tynwald Court.
  • To interpret the Standing Orders of Tynwald.
  • To have a casting vote in the Legislative Council in the event of a tie.
  • To represent Tynwald on ceremonial occasions.

The President is a largely ceremonial figure, but they do have some important powers, such as the casting vote in the Legislative Council. The President is also responsible for ensuring that the proceedings of Tynwald Court are conducted fairly and in accordance with the rules.

In addition to the powers listed above, the President of Tynwald also has a number of other responsibilities, such as:

• To appoint the Clerk of Tynwald.
  • To approve the appointment of members of the Tynwald Commission.
  • To present an annual report to Tynwald on the work of the President's Office.

The President of Tynwald is a significant figure in the Isle of Man's political system and plays an important role in ensuring that the Island's government is conducted in a fair and transparent manner."

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that Boo Gay'n.

Much more than a ceremonial figure, looking at those bullet points.

Particularly bullet points 2,3 and 4. For example: 'To authorise the Order Paper for sittings of Tynwald Court' is to control the agenda and what's on it. 'To control the procedure of Tynwald Court' can mean whatever the President wants/decides.

So no agenda, discussion or legislation can get past the President if they wish to obstruct it. 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

MHK's voice concerns about CS numbers and payroll for at least the last 2 years. Chief Minister offers reassurances that all is under control and there's nothing to worry about. Somebody is right, somebody is wrong.

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So no agenda, discussion or legislation can get past the President if they wish to obstruct it. 

Already used in the recent past in the "sub judice" business, IIRC?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

MHK's voice concerns about CS numbers and payroll for at least the last 2 years. Chief Minister offers reassurances that all is under control and there's nothing to worry about. Somebody is right, somebody is wrong.

I suspect Cannan would have strongly advocated for cutting numbers but then would have been stymied by his ambition to grow the Island's population. Senior CS no doubt would set the stall that could not handle additional pop. with service reductions.

• Like 1

Whose job was it to release information about Cummal Moar and talk to the staff and residents about any future changes?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/hooper-something-has-fallen-by-the-wayside-over-cummal-mooar/

I thought DHSC did strategy and Manx Care carried out their agreed mandate.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

thought DHSC did strategy and Manx Care carried out their agreed mandate.

On this occasion. I would say that Manx Care talked the talk but did not walk the walk. I’m no fan of the online version of Laurie Hooper but I think he’s had the rug pulled out from under him on this one. 

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I have a friend whose son is looking for a job so they’re keeping a weathered eye on the vacancies. She tells me that there are new CS jobs flooding into the gov. website every day. Yesterday she counted ten new ones. 

Are these definitely new jobs, or could some (hopefully most!) be new vacancies

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

The President of Tynwald is a significant figure in the Isle of Man's political system and plays an important role in ensuring that the Island's government is conducted in a fair and transparent manner."

I would say that's a significant  fail right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

On this occasion. I would say that Manx Care talked the talk but did not walk the walk. I’m no fan of the online version of Laurie Hooper but I think he’s had the rug pulled out from under him on this one. 

Maybe if the cut the jargon they would achieve more.

'As set out in the Framework, we meet with Manx Care regularly, to review a wide range of metrics, and to discuss progress made against the objectives detailed within the Mandate. The Framework also supports the continuing development of the relationship between the Department and Manx Care which is key to success for both parties.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1