IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

13 minutes ago, ADELE said:

It always used to be done by the family doctor you went with hearing problems he told you to soften the inner ear with some kind of oil then you went back and he did it.   When did this stop being the norm ?

18-24 months ago. Widely trailed and publicised.

There were fears that the old fashioned system used by GP’s  caused more damage than it prevented.

If hearing is really impacted GP can refer to Nobles. But there’s a long wait.

NIHCE recommended community treatment, not GP. In England some pharmacies offer low pressure irrigation. But I’m not sure that’s available on IoM, and other community service alternatives haven’t been funded.

43 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I just tried to get an appointment to have an ear syringed. The Ramey Group Practice politely informed me that they no longer provide that service and that I should get it done privately.

A company in Onchan quoted me £79, but not possible until 11 September.

So I will try the company in Port Erin next week at a mere £50 (for one ear) - and they took a £20 deposit over the phone.

This sounds like the beginning of the privatisation of anything minor in the health service.

The last time I had to attend the GP for that same procedure it was done by the practice nurse. Is there not a Ramsey Practice nurse qualified to do that procedure?  

15 minutes ago, ADELE said:

It always used to be done by the family doctor you went with hearing problems he told you to soften the inner ear with some kind of oil then you went back and he did it.   When did this stop being the norm ?

Never had it done by a Dr, but have had nurses at GP practices do it.

But every time other than 1 that they have, I've ended up with an ear infection...

• Like 1

Ramsey Group Practice is a fucking joke. I had an online consultation with my private insurer and they thought that my issue could be extremely serious (they were being overly cautious, but I guess thats what insurers do) and to get in to my GP immediately. They sent me an email straightaway to give to the GP to let them know why they thought I may have this condition.

So when I everntually got through, I explained this to the lady on reception who told me they could see me in three weeks. I repeated that this may potentially be very serious and I could do with seeing a Dr asap, to which she repeated the quickest they could do was three weeks.

Luckily we have RCH on the doorstep so I went round there to see a very helpful Nurse where we discussed the situation and whilst we both thought the insurer was being overly cautious, if I wanted to I could head to Noble's A&E.

I'm sure like most, we only trouble the Dr's if we really have to, but you do feel now like theyre doing you a favour and the days of preventative healthcare are long gone.

Edited by Weliveinhope

2 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Ramsey Group Practice is a fucking joke. I had an online consultation with my private insurer and they thought that my issue could be extremely serious (they were being overly cautious, but I guess thats what insurers do) and to get in to my GP immediately. They sent me an email straightaway to give to the GP to let them know why they thought I may have this condition.

So when I everntually got through, I explained this to the lady on reception who told me they could see me in three weeks. I repeated that this may potentially be very serious and I could do with seeing a Dr asap, to which she repeated the quickest they could do was three weeks.

Luckily we have RCH on the doorstep so I went round there to see a very helpful Nurse where we discussed the situation and whilst we both thought the insurer was being overly cautious, if I wanted to I could head to Noble's A&E.

I'm sure like most, we only trouble the Dr's if we really have to, but you do feel now like theyre doing you a favour and the days of preventative healthcare are long gone.

I always feel very fortunate to be registered at Ballasalla Medical any time I read stories about another practice. I had concerns when they handed back the licence and Manx Care took over, but the set of GPs they have on are all excellent, and I've never had the stereotypical "GP receptionist" problems there - reception have always been friendly and helpful.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I always feel very fortunate to be registered at Ballasalla Medical any time I read stories about another practice. I had concerns when they handed back the licence and Manx Care took over, but the set of GPs they have on are all excellent, and I've never had the stereotypical "GP receptionist" problems there - reception have always been friendly and helpful.

Same with Castletown Medical Centre.  Excellent prompt friendly service. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The last time I had to attend the GP for that same procedure it was done by the practice nurse. Is there not a Ramsey Practice nurse qualified to do that procedure?  

Absolutely. Have had it done there several times. The message was "you must pay to have it done privately".

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I just tried to get an appointment to have an ear syringed. The Ramey Group Practice politely informed me that they no longer provide that service and that I should get it done privately.

A company in Onchan quoted me £79, but not possible until 11 September.

So I will try the company in Port Erin next week at a mere £50 (for one ear) - and they took a £20 deposit over the phone.

This sounds like the beginning of the privatisation of anything minor in the health service.

I can confirm the above, the same applies to podiatry matters such as verrucae treatment which used to be dealt with by a practise nurse, both now warrant referrals to private practitioners at @ £75 per hour in the case of the ear syringing.

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Absolutely. Have had it done there several times. The message was "you must pay to have it done privately".

So what happens if you get an ear infection after the procedure, does the same private doc prescribe the antibiotics without having had sight of your medical records?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So what happens if you get an ear infection after the procedure, does the same private doc prescribe the antibiotics without having had sight of your medical records?

The private ones tend to be suction rather than irrigation so chance of infection is considerably lower.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

What do GPs do? Precisely?

I think the question should be why are the practise nurses not carrying out the procedures any more, presumably they are still employed? There's no need to tie up GPs with simple procedures that a nurse can carry out.

• Like 1