IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Remember the days when, if you didn't feel well enough to go to the surgery, the doctor would come to the house? We've had the best of times, for sure.

I had to make an appointment yesterday to order my annual blood tests. The first available appointment was the first week in October.

We've deffo had the best of times...

I recently had a same day GP phone appointment, followed by a next day in-person follow-up because they wanted to see me. A week later I got a same day appointment because I hadn't improved. I also got a next morning blood appointment during that GP appointment.

Ballasalla is still living in the best of times, it would seem!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

I recently had a same day GP phone appointment, followed by a next day in-person follow-up because they wanted to see me. A week later I got a same day appointment because I hadn't improved. I also got a next morning blood appointment during that GP appointment.

Yes, but those times are short, as it sounds like you have something fatal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You could've asked Google! Not doing Doctors down but Google pull on the opinions of many Doctors!

Had recent need of A & E., sudden dvt , evening arising, perhaps two hours in waiting room, Dad put his Gameboy down to go with the Son into treatment area, hobbled in, hobbled out, no different! Young couple with baby, turned out to be Colic, who ever would have thought!!! Workman in work gear, spent his waiting time on his phone, no obvious bleeding, did he shoot hisself with a nail gun? \not perturbed, did he need to be there???

Of course, we pay for the NHS, why not take advantage, perhaps to allow acute situations to proceed???

42 minutes ago, Kopek said:

You could've asked Google! Not doing Doctors down but Google pull on the opinions of many Doctors!

Had recent need of A & E., sudden dvt , evening arising, perhaps two hours in waiting room, Dad put his Gameboy down to go with the Son into treatment area, hobbled in, hobbled out, no different! Young couple with baby, turned out to be Colic, who ever would have thought!!! Workman in work gear, spent his waiting time on his phone, no obvious bleeding, did he shoot hisself with a nail gun? \not perturbed, did he need to be there???

Of course, we pay for the NHS, why not take advantage, perhaps to allow acute situations to proceed???

The problem with Dr Google is that the person interpreting it probably doesn't have years of background medical knowledge required to accurately determine whether the information is bollocks or not.

They probably do have many years of experience, that's what Google are good at? Dragging many opinions into a conglomerate opinion! I wouldn't rely on it, as opposed to a local Doctors opinion but google cannot be ignored???

But you don't address the use of A n E for a 'sprained Ankle'???

Edited by Kopek

On 8/16/2023 at 10:32 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

They could sell a dozen leeches in a jar, that sort of thing. Or a part time MNH volunteer cut off your gangrenous toe , or suck the puss out of your swollen knee, for a small donation perhaps?

Everyone would be a winner.

Isn't something similar already in place?   There are already non doctor non nursing  staff seeing  patients in the Gp surgeries. 

Associate physician or something similar  is the job title.   They are neither doctors nor nurses .

21 hours ago, HeliX said:

That’s cheering to hear. I think if you have something that needs dealing with fairly urgently then the services are still there. Mine was routine but the point still stands that ‘routine’ is now six weeks as opposed to the old six days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

That’s cheering to hear. I think if you have something that needs dealing with fairly urgently then the services are still there. Mine was routine but the point still stands that ‘routine’ is now six weeks as opposed to the old six days. 

It looks like it's going to turn out not to be urgent, thankfully (fingers crossed!). We also get same day appointments for our little one.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

The problem with Dr Google is that the person interpreting it probably doesn't have years of background medical knowledge required to accurately determine whether the information is bollocks or not.

I have witnessed GPs refer to their NHS oracle (even Patient Access!) to check through symptom lists etc. before even attempting a diagnosis, and even then it's a case of "take a couple of paracetamols every four hour and it it doesn't improve over the next 48 hours ring up at 08:00 to make an appointment or go straight to A&E". And that from one GP who qualified back in 1991. 

So it's on a par with Dr Google.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

I have witnessed GPs refer to their NHS oracle (even Patient Access!) to check through symptom lists etc. before even attempting a diagnosis, and even then it's a case of "take a couple of paracetamols every four hour and it it doesn't improve over the next 48 hours ring up at 08:00 to make an appointment or go straight to A&E". And that from one GP who qualified back in 1991. 

So it's on a par with Dr Google.

Well yes, as they should. But what I was trying to get at is that they'll understand any of your relevant medical history, they'll understand how the symptoms interact with other conditions you may or may not have, what drugs will work best etc. If you Google something it has none of that context or history or understanding. I know enough to understand almost all of what I read in medical journals etc, but I don't have any of the background required to accurately apply it to actual individuals (including myself!) so I leave that to the professionals...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66544411

When the IOMG said that they wanted to increase the population by 15,000 they did not say that the new residents would be a new batch of government pen-pushers (despite the duplication between DHSC and Manx Care, and the senior non-jobs in DfE, and 'copying and pasting' of rules from UK Departments like Public Health England and DEFA, etc, etc). Most current residents hoped that there would be additional; teachers, doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, construction workers, etc. - frontline workers who actually do practical stuff. If the Island can't match the pay increases granted to keyworkers in the UK, let's hope the IOMG has recruited a new Director of Communications (the previous Director whose name I can't remeber left last year) to craft an eloquent message to explain to the public why additional pen-pushers are necessary and essential workers are leaving. Unfortunately, the only time the IOM public get to send 'messages' to the politicians is at each (useless) GE e.g., that continued chronic unaccountability within Government will eventually destroy the financial and social structures of this island that the residents proudly call home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Any publicity is good publicity .... errrr perhaps not !

However instead of frontline workers we can fund sea terminals elsewhere and money so that Daphne can have a warm fuzzy feeling about our contribution to the global crisis ! and loads more of irrelevant shite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1