IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

The details of Lucy Letby case are shocking but not all that surprising - a culture of self-preservation thrives in most public sector organisations, large companies and professional service firms, especially at the top. The rise of ‘professional managers’ in every aspect of life was supposed to reassure employees and the public at large that professional standards are being upheld. Unfortunately, this corollary edifice has over time morphed into a Kafkaesque bureaucracy where psychopaths of every kind easily ‘blend-in’. At some point most of us will experience an example of inadequate customer service. The trouble is that the consequences of countenancing an incompetent traffic warden are altogether different to those when dealing with incompetent medical professionals.

The Manx Care PR machine never stops telling the IOM public that their paramount obligation is putting patients first, followed by an immediate counter statement about the budgetary constraints they face are making the delivery of that obligation nearly impossible. The demise of provisioning quality public health services in the UK and particularly on the Island have been exacerbated by the politicians who are too keen to take the credit for everything positive that happens but are habitually shy when it comes to taking responsibility when negative events happen. The incumbent IOMG seems to be just sitting on their hands, biding their time, until they get to throw the proverbial electoral dice again at the next GE. I bet some external consultants are already lining-up to write more fanciful reports to woo the next IOM Administration with their proposals… or they might resuscitate that old chestnut ‘2020 Plan’ commissioned by Bell and Teare all those years ago.

When they come around begging for votes again, it will be up to the IOM public to hold the current gaggle of IOM politicians to account. We need to ask them: “what did you personally do over the last 5 years that benefited the Island?” and about the decisions that they were collectively responsible for: e.g., Dr Ranson’s case, the Abbotswood’s case, the treatment of Dr Glover, Manx Care, the Liverpool Terminal, the Douglas Prom, the Airport, etc., etc.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Excellent post Code99. The modern psychopath is meticulous; efficient; cool; helpful; obedient; very good at their job; 'blends in' (Often to the point of anonymity); and scores very highly on all of the organisation's metrics. The perfect employee. Lucy Letby was probably one of the best nurses in the entire hospital. But she was murdering babies...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's a bit of rose-tinted nostalgia about 'matron' on here. The matron figure in many institutions was often a bully, a tyrant and a bitch, puffed up with their own power and sense of importance. We're well rid of those days.

maybe, but they were actually on the front line running the ward , making sure the job was done and  mucking in where necessary , not hiding behind a screen in an office out the way  planning their next sick days or holidays in between clock watching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That may be true, but I bet there wouldn't be an accumulation of unexplained dead babies on their watch either.

unless they were delivering babies in ireland to single mothers and handing them off to nuns to look after.

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's a bit of rose-tinted nostalgia about 'matron' on here. The matron figure in many institutions was often a bully, a tyrant and a bitch, puffed up with their own power and sense of importance. We're well rid of those days.

I'll tell my wife LOL !

Can I refer her to you !

Edited by asitis
  • Haha 4

I caught most of Paul's interview on Manx Radio yesterday. It's a shame that he didn't have Robertshaw with him, because he didn't really hammer home what followed from the 'suppression' or toning down of Ranson's advice and the subsequent gaslighting of the Island's Chief Medical Officer. The discussion never got past the symptoms and he allowed Gawne to 'dead sheep' him with the Establishment narrative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Excellent post Code99. The modern psychopath is meticulous; efficient; cool; helpful; obedient; very good at their job; 'blends in' (Often to the point of anonymity); and scores very highly on all of the organisation's metrics. The perfect employee. Lucy Letby was probably one of the best nurses in the entire hospital. But she was murdering babies...

I don't think she's a psychopath. If she was she would have been in court to hear the verdict. She wouldn't have missed it for the world.  I believe one of the consultant psychologists suggested in court that she may have BPD - borderline personality disorder. it's on the same cluster of personality disorders and would explain some of her rationale behind the killings and her need for drama and attention.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don't think she's a psychopath. If she was she would have been in court to hear the verdict. She wouldn't have missed it for the world.  I believe one of the consultant psychologists suggested in court that she may have BPD - borderline personality disorder. it's on the same cluster of personality disorders and would explain some of her rationale behind the killings and her need for drama and attention.

I'm no expert, but she seems like a psychopath to me, assuming there's not been a catastrophic miscarriage of justice here.  BPD seems like an odd label.  There's nothing about her behaviour that's on any borderline, surely? It's about as bad as it can get.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I'm no expert, but she seems like a psychopath to me, assuming there's not been a catastrophic miscarriage of justice here.  BPD seems like an odd label.  There's nothing about her behaviour that's on any borderline, surely? It's about as bad as it can get.

Yes, if she's borderline, what sort of monster is the real thing ?

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The criminal psychologist Dr David Holmes stated that she had psychopathic tendencies but did not diagnose psycopathy.

Borderline, in borderline personality disorder doesn't mean she was on any kind of behaviour border. People with BPD will do anything to gain attention and to remain at the centre of attention, and that includes violent criminality, including murder.

I believe a psychopath would have been at the verdict.  Would have revelled in it and would have got huge amounts of satisfaction from hearing about the pain the victims' families were experiencing.  They experience fear, but it is muted. 

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, if she's borderline, what sort of monster is the real thing ?

Borerlines are driven to all kinds of heinous activities. They're all part of the same cluster of personality disorders; antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder. narcissistic personality disorder. They're all extreme and all are capable of extreme behaviour.

It's a bit of a leap blame Borderline. I think studies show violence by BPD people is mostly explained by other conditions the individual has. 

With diagnosis there are interventions that help. Lets try not to stigmatise people here. We don't want people avoiding diagnosis due to fear of the stigma.  

And BPD people especially women are more like to direct harmful behaviour towards themselves.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

It's a bit of a leap blame Borderline. I think studies show violence by BPD people is mostly explained by other conditions the individual has. 

With diagnosis there are interventions that help. Lets try not to stigmatise people here. We don't want people avoiding diagnosis due to fear of the stigma.  

And BPD people especially women are more like to direct harmful behaviour towards themselves.

I don’t think the clinical psychologist was blaming it on BPD but instead was giving his opinion about her possible condition, as he’d been invited to do. There’s only one source of blame here and that’s firmly at the door of the perpetrator- personality disorder or not.