IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is it an over spend or an under fund mend???

Do we want an \nhs to suit us or the |Govt????

Indeed.   Teresa Cope commented that the financial situation had been complicated by about £9M which had been carried forward from the previous financial year - that’ll be the £8-10M underfunding that Nobles have been carrying since July 2003.

5 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Indeed.   Teresa Cope commented that the financial situation had been complicated by about £9M which had been carried forward from the previous financial year - that’ll be the £8-10M underfunding that Nobles have been carrying since July 2003.

I seem to remember that Eddie Teare was responsible for continual budget cuts/underfunding of the NHS during his tenure at Treasury?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I seem to remember that Eddie Teare was responsible for continual budget cuts/underfunding of the NHS during his tenure at Treasury?

It’s a Treasury problem. They have an inflexible procedure and budgeting is hopeless. They can’t cope without a fixed cost, projected by their wholly unreasonable algorithms.

I sit on a public body which makes compensatory awards to victims of criminal injuries. The budgeting process is fraught. The best we can do is look at trends, number of claims, amounts paid, over the last few years, and average. We can look at how many claims we have received and expect to process in the next 12 months. But we can’t predict how many will come in next week. Or what the claims might be worth. We might, for instance, end up with a number of Knottfield claims.

If we overspend we get an eye brow raised. If we underspend the budget is reduced for next year and inevitably overspend and get the raised eyebrow. And it’s our fault for not estimating accurately. Allegedly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

He was trying to balance the budget, spoke with him a few times about this.

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

He was trying to balance the budget, spoke with him a few times about this.

He should have chosen a different lever: DHSS/DHSC/MC, in turn since 2003, have had an ongoing underfunding situation (which the politicians insist on describing as an overspend).   The situation has got worse, of course - increased throughput of patients, increased tertiary spend, effect of inflation and drug company pricing policies on drug costs - but there’s been this constant attempt to play catch up since Eddie’s notion in 2003.   Even when shown evidence of where the money was going, politicians over the years have refused to accept that it can’t all be clawed back through “efficiencies” - for which read service cuts, staffing cuts and reduced bed numbers, etc etc and etc ad nauseum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

He should have chosen a different lever: DHSS/DHSC/MC, in turn since 2003, have had an ongoing underfunding situation (which the politicians insist on describing as an overspend).   The situation has got worse, of course - increased throughput of patients, increased tertiary spend, effect of inflation and drug company pricing policies on drug costs - but there’s been this constant attempt to play catch up since Eddie’s notion in 2003.   Even when shown evidence of where the money was going, politicians over the years have refused to accept that it can’t all be clawed back through “efficiencies” - for which read service cuts, staffing cuts and reduced bed numbers, etc etc and etc ad nauseum.

Of course! That's how they shift the apparent blame from themselves to the patients and front line staff in the public's perception. 

They're sleight of hand merchants. God forbid they should put their efforts into transparency.

Edited by Zarley
Last bit, fwiw
  • Like 1

This mornings NPM (MR) leads with Manx Care considering new eligibility criteria for NHS dental care. Increased charges and other things being looked. You can see Manx Care Management debating other eligibility criteria for other healthcare, except there won’t be a private healthcare provider/ward set up, so patients will be forced to go across. I predict brutal decisions being made and our politicos rubber stamping them. 

28 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This mornings NPM (MR) leads with Manx Care considering new eligibility criteria for NHS dental care. Increased charges and other things being looked. You can see Manx Care Management debating other eligibility criteria for other healthcare, except there won’t be a private healthcare provider/ward set up, so patients will be forced to go across. I predict brutal decisions being made and our politicos rubber stamping them. 

It's strange, The NHS across is falling apart under the strain of 'a flood of immigrants', the NHS over here is falling apart for a lack of the desired 15000 immigrants?

Every decision made now can only be seen through the prism of the colossal overspends on public works and government staffing - past and present.

I paid me and my wife's tax bills around the same time as the Ranson payout. It did make me wonder what the point of giving these twats our meagre amount, earned through hard manual labour and under-appreciated and paid care work, when they are just going to spend it on themselves or on another fuck up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

Report on possible changes or charges here, problem is we all pay more to dentist or we all pay more in taxes & government pays dentist as the dentist won’t do it for present remuneration.

Its worse in UK for same reasons with many resorting to self dentistry, at least here there’s emergency treatment at wedtmoreland road

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-considers-eligibility-criteria-for-nhs-dental-treatment/