IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Well, if folk could get a GP appointment within a reasonable time-frame there'd be less folk attending A&E.

If it’s an emergency the GP will see you , always been my experience. Some of those in a&e could just go to a pharmacy for what’s up with them & should be sent there 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

If you unfortunately need to go to a&e you will notice many who don’t need to be there eg sore elbow, upset stomach, drunk etc etc , priority is given to genuine emergencies, children which is why delay occurs who non emergency treatment 

You’re incredible. You can diagnose all those people without a qualification and without even being there. You’re some boy. 

• Like 5

The NPM/MR this morning are leading on Manx Care bosses who are quite frankly playing games with the public. Trying to instill fear, confusion and panic by informing us that a range of financial options are being considered, and one is detrimental to the delivery of services’. Whilst this is clearly unavoidable, what’s totally immoral is this state sponsored blame game and power battles. It’s time Hooperman did something or resign, or CM Cannan actually showed leadership, courage and character, deal with both the problems, which may or not result in sacking Hooperman. 

We all know that some unpleasant decisions willl made, services curtailed, maybe charges increased or introduced. What is wrong is this Duke of York style build up then nothing done - big let down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/range-of-financial-options-being-considered-by-manx-care/

How long will it be before the COMIN wakes up to the fact Manx Care is not fit for purpose.  The constant lack of front line services - Meds, A and E only in dire circumstances etc is truly testament to a faltering system overseen by an additional layer of well paid CV enhancing blow bags, all imposed upon the IOM by Jonathon Michael's Health and Social Care review shadowing a failing UK solution for what is a small island community.  I am sure some of the work done by MC is worthwhile but the overspend and service is disproportionately poor.  Time for a review and reset to address this failing organisation.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Agree. However the politicos have done nothing whilst Manx Care have quite frankly run riot. Manx Care have had resources poured into it, to a degree wanted for nothing. Yet our politicos have literally followed the ‘arms-length’ and let them crack in without any intervention. Is it a case of who blinks first? If charges are increased or introduced I will pay, but I want honesty. I also want Manx Care to truly make sacrifices with its management structure and duplicate staffing. If it can raise funds through parking then do so, or clamp down on those who dump their vehicles whilst going to work on the bus. We are all in this together, some less than others it seems. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Agree. However the politicos have done nothing whilst Manx Care have quite frankly run riot. Manx Care have had resources poured into it, to a degree wanted for nothing. Yet our politicos have literally followed the ‘arms-length’ and let them crack in without any intervention. Is it a case of who blinks first? If charges are increased or introduced I will pay, but I want honesty. I also want Manx Care to truly make sacrifices with its management structure and duplicate staffing. If it can raise funds through parking then do so, or clamp down on those who dump their vehicles whilst going to work on the bus. We are all in this together, some less than others it seems. 

Quite.  Hence the constant 'poor'  news bits, scaremongering and agitating - knowing full well they have the whip hand with an effective minister and government.  It is truly a sorry state we find ourselves in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hmmmm said:

How long will it be before the COMIN wakes up to the fact Manx Care is not fit for purpose.  The constant lack of front line services - Meds, A and E only in dire circumstances etc is truly testament to a faltering system overseen by an additional layer of well paid CV enhancing blow bags, all imposed upon the IOM by Jonathon Michael's Health and Social Care review shadowing a failing UK solution for what is a small island community.

Never.   Tynwald voted the system in - admittedly, they were asleep at the wheel, but it’s hard to imagine them admitting the scale of the error that they made that day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hmmmm said:

I am sure some of the work done by MC is worthwhile but the overspend and service is disproportionately poor.

Well, that’s very decent of you!

No wonder the frontline staff are demoralised.   If all the money is spent on endless tortuous layers of management, multiple fact-finding reviews by management consultants (including the ultimate high cost report from Sir Jonny Millionaire), all of which end up with the same conclusion…

Then the frontline staff and their immediate line managers have to work out how to do more with less, how to stretch staff to cover the services that are needed without exhausting (literally and figuratively) those resources.

But the service is still perceived as “disproportionately poor”.   That’s partly because the frontline service is still understaffed - for the demand both from the public and the management.   So where’s all the overspend going?   If MC is such a goldmine, why are staff leaving - and nurses on strike (something I’d never witnessed prior to MC starting in 2021)?

The biggest task of all is how to get the politicians to even consider looking at all this, when it was them who flipped the switch and started the  management duplication game.   How would you ever get them to admit that they were wrong?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

No wonder the frontline staff are demoralised.   If all the money is spent on endless tortuous layers of management, multiple fact-finding reviews by management consultants (including the ultimate high cost report from Sir Jonny Millionaire), all of which end up with the same conclusion…

Then the frontline staff and their immediate line managers have to work out how to do more with less, how to stretch staff to cover the services that are needed without exhausting (literally and figuratively) those resources.

But the service is still perceived as “disproportionately poor”.   That’s partly because the frontline service is still understaffed - for the demand both from the public and the management.   So where’s all the overspend going?   If MC is such a goldmine, why are staff leaving - and nurses on strike (something I’d never witnessed prior to MC starting in 2021)?

The biggest task of all is how to get the politicians to even consider looking at all this, when it was them who flipped the switch and started the  management duplication game.   How would you ever get them to admit that they were wrong?

As I’ve said many times without proper funding to meet the demands of everyone with an ageing population this healthcare system is always going to fail, exactly the same in uk where in some areas like dental it’s a lot worse. Funding can only come from increased tax income either from increased population, increased taxes or combination of both. Expect taxes up from next April for higher earners 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

At the next GE when most of those currently residing in the Keys fail to get returned or even stand??

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

At the next GE when most of those currently residing in the Keys fail to get returned or even stand??

Are you suggesting that a new House would fix the errors of the old?

Anyway, manifesto promises and doorstep assurances don’t count for much in this age of political disingenuousness.   They’ll tell you what you want to hear, get your vote, then do the opposite.

Exhibit 1 - Hooperman.

2 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

Exactly what Sarah Pinch means when she says that Manx Care are looking at three options, one of which would be ‘deeply unpalatable’, is anyone’s guess. My guess is that she is referring to the ‘flat’ or even reduced Budget that the IOM Treasury is giving them for the 2024/25 financial year. If I am right about this, then it makes sense that she/Manx Care would find this predicament deeply unpalatable. I presume that the other two options involve getting additional money from other sources, doing things like bringing back a private health system, where patients who can afford it and want to jump up the ever longer waiting lists are asked to stump up a lots of cash. One thing is clear – Manx Care are facing some very tough financial choices and also possible cuts to current (NHS) health services. Given the lack of facts in what Pinch just said, we will have to wait and see what those options actually are.

Needless to say, I think that the creation of Manx Care was a disastrous decision for the Island.      

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Are you suggesting that a new House would fix the errors of the old?

Anyway, manifesto promises and doorstep assurances don’t count for much in this age of political disingenuousness.   They’ll tell you what you want to hear, get your vote, then do the opposite.

Exhibit 1 - Hooperman.

Change is not progress.