IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Come the next election I doubt that Hooper will even get a bag of chips from the Ramsey voters.

You would hope but IOM voters seem to vote for anyone who is on the news or papers or is known to grannies.

Like Chemists, Postmen, Doctors and radio "Personalities" including your very own Donald Trump AKA Stu Peters* 🙂

* Fair play to Stu at least he can fly his own plane, Trump needs a pilot, so 1-0 to Stu in a fantasy political game of plane  football....

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That's only the starting costs. The opportunity costs of the whole affair far exceed this figure.

Proof positive that there is no price that the whole, rotten structure will put on attempting to defend itself against the indefensible. Nor does it care - it's not actually paying. 

Let us see exactly what the Inquiry that Stu Peters promised on these boards would leave no stone unturned actually comes up with. I'm going to predict nothing that would lead to any sanction or embarrassment for those found to be complicit. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

You would hope but IOM voters seem to vote for anyone who is on the news or papers or is known to grannies.

Like Chemists, Postmen, Doctors and radio "Personalities" including your very own Donald Trump AKA Stu Peters* 🙂

* Fair play to Stu at least he can fly his own plane, Trump needs a pilot, so 1-0 to Stu in a fantasy political game of plane  football....

No worse than UK with sex offenders, fraudsters, game show participants, care workers, old etonians etc elected as MPs , at least were not blaming health workers for massive NHS waiting lists in UK.

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

No worse than UK with sex offenders, fraudsters, game show participants, care workers, old etonians etc elected as MPs , at least were not blaming health workers for massive NHS waiting lists in UK.

At least at Westminster there are some highly competent MPs and members of the Lords, also at a county level the competence is evident. 

BTW, what's wrong with being a former Care Worker or an Old Etonian?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

At least at Westminster there are some highly competent MPs and members of the Lords, also at a county level the competence is evident. 

BTW, what's wrong with being a former Care Worker or an Old Etonian?

Nothing wrong with care workers but blade runner seems to have an issue with chemists & doctors, old Etonians have held sway for too long 

Is it really too much to ask our 'elected representatives' .....to do just that.......represent 'us', rather than, at any cost, trying to defend the indefensible to the tune of almost a million pounds (Doctor Ranson).

That money could have gone to give our very brave medics, not just during COVID, but at all times in an emotional and physiological tiring profession, a simple thank you for your caring.

They, he, Hooperman, should hang their/his head in absolute shame for this pure atrocity of honest justice.

As he gets older, obviously not 'more mature', maybe, just maybe he'll realise how he should have behaved, and put those he was supposed to look after, us, ahead of his ego.

Just how on earth anyone ( Alfie)thought he would be remotely capable of handling such a very important position is simply beyond my comprehension.

There really needs to be a complete change to this Islands Government mindset...responsibilities first....ego last.

And....no more 'Assumed knowledge' you're simply not up to it!!

If I had been inclined into politics, after I had retired my tenure, I would have liked to be able to look back and say 'I did my honest best with my time'.

Simple.

Edited by Sentience
  • Like 9

Man died after heart stopped at Isle of Man hospital, inquest finds

Friday, 15 September 2023 15:40

A man's death at Noble's Hospital following routine surgery was caused after a lack of oxygen caused his heart to stop, an inquest has ruled

Report by BBC Isle of Man

James Joseph Shimmin, 55, died after medics tried to treat breathing problems he developed February 2021.

Coroner Bernard Richmond KC said it was not possible to say if a breathing tube had been incorrectly placed.

Accusations of manslaughter against four Manx Care anaesthetists involved in his care were dismissed last year.

An inquest heard Mr Shimmin, who had been put under general anaesthetic, began to wake up in the operating theatre after undergoing knee surgery on the morning of 4 February.

A plastic tube was inserted into his throat to help with his breathing and had to be reinserted after those difficulties continued.

The 55-year-old then went into cardiac arrest, and despite efforts to resuscitate him he was pronounced dead later that day.

Post-mortem evidence showed the tube was in the oesophagus, which connects to the stomach, rather than Mr Shimmin's windpipe, the hearing at Douglas Courthouse was told.

However, delivering a narrative verdict, Mr Richmond said he was "not able say" that the tube had been misplaced.

The loss of a data block which contained medical information about Mr Shimmin's treatment in the theatre was a "significant problem", he said.

The inquest had heard conflicting reports from medics about whether liquid that had emerged from the tube was from the stomach or the lungs.

Mr Richmond previously told the hearing an internal investigation into Mr Shimmin's death triggered by the Department of Health and Social Care had caused "lots of difficulty".

The credibility of witnesses had been "damaged" by the various accounts given, he said.

Medics were interviewed as part of the internal investigation and gave accounts to police as part of a separate criminal investigation.

Accusations of gross negligence manslaughter against the four anaesthetists were dropped in April last year.

Giving evidence to the inquest on Monday, Manx Care chief executive Teresa Cope said a new policy had been implemented where health officials would speak to the police and the coroner before internal investigations were launched in future.

She told the hearing an external body had reviewed theatres and found them to be safe.

Mr Shimmin's wife Debbie described him as a "gentle giant", who "shined a bright light into any room he went in".

"To describe what I've lost, you need to understand what I've had," she said.

Recording a medical cause of death of cardiac asystole caused by hypoxia, Mr Richmond said the case had been "very difficult".

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-died-after-heart-stopped-at-isle-of-man-hospital-inquest-finds/

13 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

RIP James, so many aspects of this case just make for uncomfortable reading for Manx Care!

Manx care have posted a response saying that operation was under DHSC but they’ve implemented improvements since, no fault was found according to report 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Most worrying is that yet more data/reports have gone missing?

Who was Minister in DHSC from Feb '21?

Sympathies to the Shimmin family.

Yes, that struck me too, given the various investigations.  You would think all data would be carefully preserved. 

• Like 2