IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

When did the Ashford/Hooper changeover take place? Anyone?

Another oddity, if stomach fluids were coming up the 'breathing pipe', wouldn't that throw some suspicion against the medics who were charged with manslaughter and then the charges were withdrawn ?

Only going by the MR report, so not fully detailed???

Edited by Kopek

3 hours ago, Sentience said:

They, he, Hooperman, should hang their/his head in absolute shame

One word, collective responsibility!

OK, two words, ministers are expected to follow comin concensus!

OK, 6 words...................................

• Haha 1

Carefully worded Gladys! Thanks.

Of course the manslaughter charges could have been too OTT to be successful, as is often the case, make the charge too serious, as in police being charged with shooting a person, thus, their defence is that ''they thought he was reaching for a gun'', reasonable defence?

1 minute ago, Gladys said:
1 hour ago, Banker said:

Manx care have posted a response saying that operation was under DHSC but they’ve implemented improvements since, no fault was found according to report 

Not wanting to be stuffed with another failing under DHSC?

A death under these circumstances is a tragedy for the family, no matter the outcome of the inquest - and the family are entitled to proper answers.

I haven’t read the actual inquest report, but I would be reluctant to draw too many firm conclusions from the Manx Radio digest.

My impression at the time was that the DHSC were all too willing to throw the four anaesthetists under the bus, involving the police at an early stage on seemingly scant evidence.   That view seems to have been confirmed by the report.   The lack of transparency (missing data) combined with the swift scapegoating of the anaesthetists seems very in keeping with the DHSC management style at the time.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Zulu said:

Mandatory fimage.thumb.jpeg.f42215c85c504de9830df890fcd077c2.jpegace coverings are back for patient-facing employees, and those visiting people in hospital in the Isle of Man.

I will not be wearing a mask as the Cochrane masks study found masks made "little to no difference" in preventing COVID-19 in a meta-analysis of 78 randomized controlled trials featuring over 600,000 participants. https://www.factcheck.org/2023/03/scicheck-what-the-cochrane-review-says-about-masks-for-covid-19-and-what-it-doesnt/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Well, you would think it, expect it really. 

Manx Care took over in early  2022, is that right? 

Wrong, Manx Care officially took over on 1 April 2021.  But Cope actually started January 2021 - and fairly soon after sacked Angela Murray, so she clearly had considerable power already in the absence of Magson.  And much of the other responsibilities were shifting from then as well.

That said, DHSC certainly had some control over the process and they probably would have commissioned Professor Deakin's report on the incident that seems to have led to the attempted prosecution of the four anaesthetists.   But the real mystery here was the behaviour of the AG's Office in trying to bring such a weak case that it got thrown out at committal stage.  As I said at the time I couldn't find anything equivalent in the whole of the British Isles in the last 250 years.  As so often in Manx Government an arbitrary decision seems to have been made and those involved were determined to see it through no matter how expensive and irrational the inevitable failure would be.

The talk of missing data is worrying, but if we've learnt anything recently it's that when evidence vanishes it's usually to protect the bureaucracy.  We should know more when the inquest decision is published - if it ever is.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Sign in said:

I will not be wearing a mask as the Cochrane masks study found masks made "little to no difference" in preventing COVID-19 in a meta-analysis of 78 randomized controlled trials featuring over 600,000 participants. https://www.factcheck.org/2023/03/scicheck-what-the-cochrane-review-says-about-masks-for-covid-19-and-what-it-doesnt/

A first post from an anti vaxxer complaining about masks 😂

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sign in said:

The opening of the article you link to:

What the Cochrane Review Says About Masks For COVID-19 — and What It Doesn’t
By Jessica McDonald

Posted on March 16, 2023

SciCheck Digest
People online are touting the results of a Cochrane review to incorrectly claim that it shows masks “don’t work” against the coronavirus. But the primary conclusion of the review is that it’s uncertain from randomized controlled trials whether mask interventions in the community help slow the spread of respiratory illnesses

It not only doesn't says what you say it does.  It says that it doesn't

• Like 1