IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

And yet…what?

Trauma & orthopaedics, ENT (ear, nose, throat) and oral surgery all have waiting lists with more than 1,000 patients.

(admittedly that 1,000 is spread over three departments)

On 9/17/2023 at 8:21 PM, wrighty said:

The waiting list for orthopaedic surgery has come down a lot, but new parients keep coming all the time. I did my 1000th joint replacement this week. I do sometimes wonder where they all keep coming from. 

Manx care will no longer take all patients who call an ambulance to hospital.  Surely people are only calling then in an emergency?  Signposting ambulance patients to a gp seems to go against the purpose of having an emergency ambulance service 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66884448?fbclid=IwAR1RLP0d3VzRefRR_M6Mt5lOxJLXFQNGvsTKEkCtT5ikJhzujDLfqhKwB_I

7 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Manx care will no longer take all patients who call an ambulance to hospital.  Surely people are only calling then in an emergency?  Signposting ambulance patients to a gp seems to go against the purpose of having an emergency ambulance service 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66884448?fbclid=IwAR1RLP0d3VzRefRR_M6Mt5lOxJLXFQNGvsTKEkCtT5ikJhzujDLfqhKwB_I

This seems to be the absolutely perfect way of paying out millions in compensation to those cases where you get it wrong and they should have gone to A&E but died instead. 

They had better change the answerphone message in my Doctors surgery then  it specifically says if your call is of an urgent nature hang up and dial 999  it looks like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing  Hooper said on Thursday at the government conference  there needed to be changes  in DHSC  and Manx Care  then they should start by getting rid of him !  Mr teflon,  and put someone in there who  has some empathy for the Islands people  and the future of its  health care , 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Omobono said:

They had better change the answerphone message in my Doctors surgery then  it specifically says if your call is of an urgent nature hang up and dial 999  it looks like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing  Hooper said on Thursday at the government conference  there needed to be changes  in DHSC  and Manx Care  then they should start by getting rid of him !  Mr teflon,  and put someone in there who  has some empathy for the Islands people  and the future of its  health care , 

It’s a typical civil servant solution. A bit like all those missed appointments (because our appointment system is shit) that they say “cost” us money. This will be the same. All those “time wasters” calling an ambulance when we know better. It will cost them millions in compensation when they get it wrong. How can you stop people who think they’re in an emergency situation calling an ambulance or try to second guess situations where you don’t think it’s important enough? Frankly it’s mad. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I think we need another structure to oversee both Manx Care and DHSC. Naturally, it too will be at arm's length from any politicians but could employ at least another 200 civil servants.

That'll be £2M please.

Signed, J. Michaels

• Haha 5

I think the idea is a triage system rather than a refusal to send an ambulance.  I think the whole new idea should be studied not just take the headlines at face value.   As for Bankers statement that there are too many old people that is as uninformed as it is ignorant, their are many, many people over pensionable age in full or part time employment I worked until I was in my seventies as did a lot of people that I know.    There are many people minding grandchildren so that their children can work in this day and age there is a need of two wages coming in to pay for mortgages, heat and fuel.    The people who can afford to retire at 60 and good luck to them they have probably paid into a private pension for many years, are still paying tax and probably have private health insurance if they have had a good job.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1