IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

Many of us grew up with ,and were treated by ,the NHS believing - or it now seems rather naively assuming,  that it  was an  ‘Integrated Care’ system.

Such terminology  was never  used.It would have seemed superfluous.

‘ Integrated Care ‘ ‘has been upstaged by  ‘Fully  Integrated  Care’,‘ in some areas going further to be elevated  to  ‘Totally Integrated  Care’ 

No one would argue against these phrases if it means having better services.

However the evidence from some of its users suggests the contrary and that now we are witnessing a dis integration  of the NHS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

And people complain about waiting 2/3 hours over here, healthcare is more of a shambles in UK

https://news.sky.com/story/almost-400-000-patients-spend-24-hours-or-more-in-a-e-figures-show-12969533

This stupid boomer style logic is enabling our island's fall into the shit.

Stop accepting less and less before we become a 3rd world country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, WTF said:

become ??

I'd love to make a joke about only being a decade of climate change away from a banana republic however..

As many of us discover far too late, Health is Wealth.

Acceptance of nihilism is what has brought us to a breaking point in other areas of government.

I do not want us to fall into the trap of accepting less and less "because there is always somewhere worse off" until we reach the point of being the worst. 

@Zarley if you think that's being a dick, that thing in between your legs is probably quite confusing.

Edited by HeteroErectus
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, HeteroErectus said:

Stop accepting less and less before we become a 3rd world country.

If you look at us already being the scrag end of airlines priority, reluctance for banks to deal with IoM residents, difficulties in getting some credit cards, insurance companies cutting business for IoM residents now....one could be excused for thinking that the process is already under way....

ETA. Lob in the removal of priority airmail too.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, HeteroErectus said:

@Zarley if you think that's being a dick, that thing in between your legs is probably quite confusing.

Whoosh!

You decide to call yourself HeteroErectus and then wonder why someone says you're a straight-up dick. I think you're the one who may be a bit confused. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you look at us already being the scrag end of airlines priority, reluctance for banks to deal with IoM residents, difficulties in getting some credit cards, insurance companies cutting business for IoM residents now....one could be excused for thinking that the process is already under way....

Agreed. 

The CM working as a director of a recruitment agency while the island is perpetually struggling for staff. The public sector pensions time bomb and (to keep it on topic) an A&E dept that is suggesting it should not take in all persons in an accident or emergency. 

But we should do everything we can do protect our healthcare system. Nobody is going to die if they can't get a credit card. As it stands, people are dying on waiting lists.

Edited by HeteroErectus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 9/24/2023 at 9:57 PM, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s a typical civil servant solution. A bit like all those missed appointments (because our appointment system is shit) that they say “cost” us money. This will be the same. All those “time wasters” calling an ambulance when we know better. It will cost them millions in compensation when they get it wrong. How can you stop people who think they’re in an emergency situation calling an ambulance or try to second guess situations where you don’t think it’s important enough? Frankly it’s mad. 

Doesn't matter, as compensation payments don't come out of Manx Care budget

• Thanks 2

Did anyone read the link, or just rail in with comments that it's disgraceful on Manx Forums auto-pilot?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66884448?fbclid=IwAR1RLP0d3VzRefRR_M6Mt5lOxJLXFQNGvsTKEkCtT5ikJhzujDLfqhKwB_I

People call ambulances for all sorts of reasons, not always an emergency.  The most ludicrous example I can recall (from in the UK) was someone calling an ambulance because they'd run out of milk.  Should that person have had an ambulance sent round, or is it perhaps more reasonable for a trained call handler to make a quick assessment of the situation and perhaps direct their call to the creameries?

Personally I can't see anything wrong with this at all.  If you have a heart attack you'll get your ambulance sent as now, and possibly quicker because they won't be on another shout dealing with someone that needs their heating putting on or their TV re-tuned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Doesn't matter, as compensation payments don't come out of Manx Care budget

Good point. It seems to be though that outside of cases that are slam dunk stupid and where clearly no need exists having staff on the end of a phone trying to second guess whether someone does or doesn’t need an ambulance is going to end up in a situation where a very big cheque is going to get written at some stage when someone refused an ambulance dies or is otherwise affected. 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Did anyone read the link, or just rail in with comments that it's disgraceful on Manx Forums auto-pilot?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66884448?fbclid=IwAR1RLP0d3VzRefRR_M6Mt5lOxJLXFQNGvsTKEkCtT5ikJhzujDLfqhKwB_I

People call ambulances for all sorts of reasons, not always an emergency.  The most ludicrous example I can recall (from in the UK) was someone calling an ambulance because they'd run out of milk.  Should that person have had an ambulance sent round, or is it perhaps more reasonable for a trained call handler to make a quick assessment of the situation and perhaps direct their call to the creameries?

Personally I can't see anything wrong with this at all.  If you have a heart attack you'll get your ambulance sent as now, and possibly quicker because they won't be on another shout dealing with someone that needs their heating putting on or their TV re-tuned.

Wouldn't the 999 operator already act as a filter for such calls?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

An anecdote of an anomaly from the UK NHS isn't relevant to a conversation about the IOM. 

Respectfully, the discussion based off that article, isn't around waiting times for an ambulance. Having seen several called out recently, they are deployed and on site within a very short space of time. 

What MC are trying to do is push their users towards their GP to reduce workload on the doctors and nurses at Nobles.

They mention that funding has been secured for a intermediate healthcare system, sitting somewhere between a GP and A&E. Given that they already blow their budget harder than a (redacted), it's clear they are merely moving money from one pot to another, shiny new pot. 

I recently saw a women sat in a GP waiting room with a suspected appendicitis. The surgery was not equipped to deal with it. The receptionist and the doctors were so preoccupied with her (rightly so, given the severe pain) that the rest of us had to wait to be seen over an hour after our appointment time. 

The results of this change will be:

-Another manager with no medial knowledge swaggers off with a shiny badge on their CV for "Transformation".

-Another level of bureaucracy. 

-OHR can't fill the current staffing vacancies, so another team with not enough staff offering a shit service.

-More confusion for average joe. 

-MC keeps burning money.

Either way, they (with OHR) need to sort out the staffing. Pushing patients from an understaffed hospital to an understaffed GP surgery (and whatever in between) = the same result. 

• Like 8