IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes call him out for these things if you think he is found wanting on these issues, you have an absolute right.

But  the vitriol on here about his personal appearance, previous employment history etc is unwarranted.

I maybe not particularly handsome and started my working life doing non glamorous jobs but I don’t think that makes me an object of derision.

His employment history is common knowledge. We live on an island where everyone knows everyone and everything. Professor Ashford no doubt highlighted his employment history to the electorate ……….. unless he has been economical with the truth, or exaggerated things somewhat? 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes call him out for these things if you think he is found wanting on these issues, you have an absolute right.

But  the vitriol on here about his personal appearance, previous employment history etc is unwarranted.

I maybe not particularly handsome and started my working life doing non glamorous jobs but I don’t think that makes me an object of derision.

guess again.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

His employment history is common knowledge. We live on an island where everyone knows everyone and everything. Professor Ashford no doubt highlighted his employment history to the electorate ……….. unless he has been economical with the truth, or exaggerated things somewhat? 

What work did he do? 🤔

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

I may have missed this, but manxcare have released the made-up survey results. Immediate appointments? The longest waiting lists in our islands history.

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_801607.html?fbclid=IwAR37I8otNGF32_ZMJcGjX3Jx60Ow9X5-7lZlz_8Oe083NatYCUBb-QmYPEw

Screenshot_2023-10-17-16-29-49-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Here's the press release, there's a rather interesting paragraph explaining how it was done:

The feedback was collated from over six areas within Manx Care – Surgery, Theatres, Critical Care and Anaesthetics; Medicine, Urgent Care and Ambulance Service; Integrated Cancer and Diagnostics; Integrated Women Children and Families; Integrated Mental Health and Social Care Services; Integrated Primary and Community Care Services; and Patient Transfers. The breakdowns of each service area can be found around the hospital site.

You wonder why, if things are so wonderful at the Hospital, they don't publish the detailed results more openly rather than require trekking round Nobles.  I suspect the reason may be that the majority of 3,654 responses may be from those filling in surveys relating to services from your local GP Practice, included in "Integrated Primary and Community Care Services; and Patient Transfers".  Certainly whenever I'm at the local practice they're always urging people to fill them in and some of the comments above are most likely about GP services.  So most of the ratings and most of the overall favourable opinion may be in relation to the one bit of the NHS that Manx Care doesn't directly control - the GPs.

But then half of Manx Care's communications appear to be them telling us how wonderful they are - and the other half is them telling us how everything is really our fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Here's the press release, there's a rather interesting paragraph explaining how it was done:

The feedback was collated from over six areas within Manx Care – Surgery, Theatres, Critical Care and Anaesthetics; Medicine, Urgent Care and Ambulance Service; Integrated Cancer and Diagnostics; Integrated Women Children and Families; Integrated Mental Health and Social Care Services; Integrated Primary and Community Care Services; and Patient Transfers. The breakdowns of each service area can be found around the hospital site.

You wonder why, if things are so wonderful at the Hospital, they don't publish the detailed results more openly rather than require trekking round Nobles.  I suspect the reason may be that the majority of 3,654 responses may be from those filling in surveys relating to services from your local GP Practice, included in "Integrated Primary and Community Care Services; and Patient Transfers".  Certainly whenever I'm at the local practice they're always urging people to fill them in and some of the comments above are most likely about GP services.  So most of the ratings and most of the overall favourable opinion may be in relation to the one bit of the NHS that Manx Care doesn't directly control - the GPs.

But then half of Manx Care's communications appear to be them telling us how wonderful they are - and the other half is them telling us how everything is really our fault.

I've seen the breakdown. Here you go:

medicine 90%
surgery 93%
cancer 98%
women and children 94%
primary care 89%
mental health 66%
patient transfers 92%

You're right that most responses were primary care, about 70% of them. But the others had decent numbers for the results to be valid. I could calculate confidence intervals if you want. Mental Health satisfaction is lowest, but that is to be expected - it's the nature of the specialty. 

Not everything at Noble's is bad. Most of it is pretty good, and certainly comparable with/better than 'across'. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, cissolt said:

I may have missed this, but manxcare have released the made-up survey results. Immediate appointments? The longest waiting lists in our islands history.

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_801607.html?fbclid=IwAR37I8otNGF32_ZMJcGjX3Jx60Ow9X5-7lZlz_8Oe083NatYCUBb-QmYPEw

Screenshot_2023-10-17-16-29-49-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Well my family have had excellent experiences with Manxcare including dermatology within last 6/7 months which when speaking to family in the UK compares very well. UK is a complete shambles across all areas including dental, GPS , A&E etc , however when you get a referral to Uk consultants they are generally very good.

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I've seen the breakdown. Here you go:

medicine 90%
surgery 93%
cancer 98%
women and children 94%
primary care 89%
mental health 66%
patient transfers 92%

You're right that most responses were primary care, about 70% of them. But the others had decent numbers for the results to be valid. I could calculate confidence intervals if you want. Mental Health satisfaction is lowest, but that is to be expected - it's the nature of the specialty. 

Not everything at Noble's is bad. Most of it is pretty good, and certainly comparable with/better than 'across'. 

Thanks for that.  The domination of primary care is shown by the fact its percentage is the same as the overall one.  My point wasn't so much that the results must be poor (though mental health is) it's more about the way that publication is selective and telling a good story is seen as more important than telling a true one.  It's a cultural problem and it seems to be getting worse if anything - and also less effective.

Of course "was this good or very good" is a pretty vague metric in any case, but you would hope that the additional comments that are made are used to inform the way services are delivered and not just cherry-picked to produce compliments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thanks for that.  The domination of primary care is shown by the fact its percentage is the same as the overall one.  My point wasn't so much that the results must be poor (though mental health is) it's more about the way that publication is selective and telling a good story is seen as more important than telling a true one.  It's a cultural problem and it seems to be getting worse if anything - and also less effective.

Of course "was this good or very good" is a pretty vague metric in any case, but you would hope that the additional comments that are made are used to inform the way services are delivered and not just cherry-picked to produce compliments.

They published the overall figure - how is that selective to tell a good story? Most patient episodes probably are in primary care, perhaps 70% of them. This matches the overall report, so I’ll ask again, what do you think is selective?

I somewhat agree with your cynicism on multi-source feedback surveys - it is a vague metric. Most people are averagely happy. 5% are effusive in their praise, and 5% complain about everything. Both tails of the distribution are unreliable as a general opinion. 

The comments will be looked at. I appraise colleagues, and in their individual MSF surveys the comments are more useful than the average score of 5.5/6 or whatever.  I’m sure whoever is analysing this for Manx Care feels the same. 

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

They published the overall figure - how is that selective to tell a good story? Most patient episodes probably are in primary care, perhaps 70% of them. This matches the overall report, so I’ll ask again, what do you think is selective?

I somewhat agree with your cynicism on multi-source feedback surveys - it is a vague metric. Most people are averagely happy. 5% are effusive in their praise, and 5% complain about everything. Both tails of the distribution are unreliable as a general opinion. 

The comments will be looked at. I appraise colleagues, and in their individual MSF surveys the comments are more useful than the average score of 5.5/6 or whatever.  I’m sure whoever is analysing this for Manx Care feels the same. 

It's selective because it's presented as being a general level of satisfaction with Manx Care and most of the responses are really about GPs who most people won't think of being part of that (and technically they aren't unless you live in Ballasalla).  As it happens the residue can't be that different, but it's still mainly presented as telling a good story as most consumer feedback is designed to do.

But it's good that the comments (which I suspect some people put some effort into) are read and used.  I bet they often contradict the ratings both ways, but if the obvious outliers are discarded there will be a lot of useful information there about expectation as well as achievement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

I think it's selective based on the chosen comments highlighted.  

Immediate appointments available is not something that the majority of people experience.  3-4 weeks at my GP for an appointment and it's one of the good ones.

The press release gives the impression that 'immediate appointments available ' applies to Manx care services not GP services.

• Like 1

If you need to be seen urgently there is always an emergency appointment available if you ring at 8.00 am at my doctors surgery, that is my personal experience, sometimes you have to ring again at lunchtime if the morning emergency appointments have been taken.    It could be because of my age or the symptoms I have I don’t know but I have never been refused.    The receptionists do triage you to an extent and they probably have guide lines to abide by, I can only speak as I find.   I find the care I get is really good.

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

I think it's selective based on the chosen comments highlighted.  

Immediate appointments available is not something that the majority of people experience.  3-4 weeks at my GP for an appointment and it's one of the good ones.

The press release gives the impression that 'immediate appointments available ' applies to Manx care services not GP services.

My practice ie Hailwood will always fit you in for an emergency appointment in the day if necessary, you may have to wait at surgery for a while.

Also the can book an appointment online, if you want a particular doctor then the wait could be 2/3 weeks