IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

On 11/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, Banker said:

So you’re saying because you’re poor & need social housing you have to live back of strand street , very richTory attitude.A budget hotel is different from large scale housing development, car parking or commercial is only solution for that area. Lord street flats & westmoreland road will be social housing.

Surely the whole idea is to transform it from a site where nobody wants to be to somewhere desirable. That's the purpose of regeneration. Plenty of examples across of town/city centre locations where folk wouldn't venture years ago being uplifted. I could see Market Street (NOT Back Strand Street as some have said. That's the lane between Strand Street and the Prom) and environs being one such sought after area with a little ingenuity. Short walking distance to work for many. In reality, of course, it would get as far as the site demolition and then sit vacant for the next half century while the government waits expectantly for someone to come along and give them a billion for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

Surely the whole idea is to transform it from a site where nobody wants to be to somewhere desirable. That's the purpose of regeneration. Plenty of examples across of town/city centre locations where folk wouldn't venture years ago being uplifted. I could see Market Street (NOT Back Strand Street as some have said. That's the lane between Strand Street and the Prom) and environs being one such sought after area with a little ingenuity. Short walking distance to work for many. In reality, of course, it would get as far as the site demolition and then sit vacant for the next half century while the government waits expectantly for someone to come along and give them a billion for it.

Totally agree. Market Street is ideal. As is Lord Street, James Street, and as were Chester Street and the Square. Central, pedestrian access to all facilities, shops, etc on the level.

What people forget is that until 40 or 50 years ago the first or second or third  floors above the shops and workshops on Market Street and even Strand, Athol, and Victoria Street were residential.

Yes, Chester Street area was a slum by the 60’s and Shaws Brow by the 50’s and Big Well Street by the 30’s. But moving people out to Willaston, or building shopping centres may not have been the right answer for the city centre, or the people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Another Doc on the way out, this time from Southern Practice.   

Quitting to just now do Locum, sick and tired of dealing with Manxcare and issues of being a Partner of Practice. 

Have a couple of acquaintances who left as permanent practice partners, and reported exactly the same experience. Piling on of pressure and passing the buck of any problems, and all the can carrying, to the GPs. Doing locum is a no-brainer for them.

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

A little while ago I had a conversation with a person who I regard as solid, staid, not given to exaggeration, who said that bullying still exists in Manx Care.

Did anyone seriously doubt it?

Just because “a ManxCare Spokeswoman” gives a statement that “there’s no bullying any more cos we have a new workplace culture policy” doesn’t mean that it has any basis in reality.

• Like 4

Communication doesn't seem to be working as far as Manx Care are concerned. Just seen this warning from one MHK!

Good Morning,
This might be too late for some local people, but I thought it was worth sharing.
I have contacted Manx Care and the Minister to ask whether the issue can be resolved ASAP:
This is the message which I have just received:
I had my Synaptik appointment this week at Nobles . They’re a very efficient organisation there and very nice people to deal with .
Manx Care however let me down , in their appt letter to me they failed to tell me that I mustn’t wear my contact lenses for at least a week prior to that appointment. Doing so means that the optometrists can’t accurately take measurements of my eye .
I now have to hope that this can be done in January when they return immediately before my operation or if not I’ll need to wait till March .
Synaptik nurses were frustrated by this as I I was too . They have been telling Manx Care to put that advice in appointment letters for at least two years and it has yet to be done . So I’m delighted to be on the operating list now but frustrated by what may well be needless delay to getting accurate measurements to prepare for the operation. Such a simple thing to put right you’d think.
If you are aware of somebody who is about to have this procedure please let them know.
Jason.