IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

Much consternation on IOMNP Facebook page this evening and other Facebook pages, regarding the Mannin Cancer MacMillan Support Centre to be located on the Nobles Hospital Site. The Charity behind the initiative, which have raised the funds are up in arms with Minister Hooperman, his lack of action in particular. I don’t know whether he or someone is at fault, but sadly yet again, it is creating disharmony. What the charity have specifically said is the inaction will result in rising costs, which will require more fundraising. 

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Much consternation on IOMNP Facebook page this evening and other Facebook pages, regarding the Mannin Cancer MacMillan Support Centre to be located on the Nobles Hospital Site. The Charity behind the initiative, which have raised the funds are up in arms with Minister Hooperman, his lack of action in particular. I don’t know whether he or someone is at fault, but sadly yet again, it is creating disharmony. What the charity have specifically said is the inaction will result in rising costs, which will require more fundraising. 

It’s a planning issue.

Generally, the Nobles Estate is subject to a planning exemption order, if the development is for medical purposes. 

Alternative therapies, talking therapy, complementary therapies don’t count.

This wasn’t identified until quite late into the process of negotiating the lease of the land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:06 PM, Dr. Grumpy said:

Talking of the butterdly syndrom, I am informed that Derby & Burton NHS Trust now has another interim Executive Medical Director from September 2023 (obviously Dr Andole left them then). Dr Andole has not returned to Manx Care and Dr. Hudson remains as interim Exec Medical Director. Something smells fishy to me and I think there's a story here. If only we had some investigative journalists! Where's Sreeman Andole?

He’s in Liverool as part of contract 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-md-currently-working-in-liverpool/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

He’s in Liverool as part of contract

I don’t really understand this - surely the island needs another stroke consultant, leaving aside the medical director bit.   Why would Manx Care agree to this?

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I don’t really understand this - surely the island needs another stroke consultant, leaving aside the medical director bit.   Why would Manx Care agree to this?

It’s part of his ongoing training. Happens at all levels. Update on latest techniques and procedures. Ensure we have the best expertise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s part of his ongoing training. Happens at all levels. Update on latest techniques and procedures. Ensure we have the best expertise.

I can completely understand that - but it seems to be taking a long time, and in a single block.   Surely most training of this type would be a few weeks every year?

22 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I can completely understand that - but it seems to be taking a long time, and in a single block.   Surely most training of this type would be a few weeks every year?

It’s been tacked onto his secondment. I suspect that was done on the basis of let me go, or I go.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

We could do with similar signs at our A& E as I’ve seen some turning up with all sorts when attending with elderly relatives 

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/new-sign-asks-if-you-should-be-at-aande/?fbclid=IwAR1zfOmrpU0_Iiu-uKI2SmOLAMRO6nLjbrerv8oSXYVyQN6-fmqknhLLVkI

The clue is in the title - Accident and Emergency. 

The problem is however that the public are constantly being bombarded to look out for signs of a stroke, sepsis, cancer, heart attack etc, which as we're told could start with a bit of pins and needles, a minor rash, any vague symptoms at all, or a feeling of a touch of indigestion. 

It's not as easy to get this right as you might imagine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Laurie Hooper is getting stick regarding the Cancer care situation but as he has said he was informed initially that planning permission was not needed as John has explained in a previous post but then was discovered it was of course no one is listening they are too busy shouting the odds.   I appreciate their frustration but planning permission takes a ridiculous amount of time on the Island and that needs to be sorted if any kind of progress in building anything, anywhere,  is to flourish it is frustrating and people just give up.

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The clue is in the title - Accident and Emergency. 

The problem is however that the public are constantly being bombarded to look out for signs of a stroke, sepsis, cancer, heart attack etc, which as we're told could start with a bit of pins and needles, a minor rash, any vague symptoms at all, or a feeling of a touch of indigestion. 

It's not as easy to get this right as you might imagine. 

In the last 6 months I've actually attempted to use a pharmacist and optician instead of going to A&E or my doctor.  Both times, they've told me to go to my doctor.  I've phoned my doctor and been told to go to A&E! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't get a Dr's appointment, and realistically thought they had a real problem going to A & E. 

You have always had the drama queens and the drunks and the people with mental health issues turning up at A & E in any case . My worry would be that discouraging people going could have serious consequences for a small number who, perhaps without realising it, needed urgent help !

As Wrighty says it's a difficult one, but certainly not helped by a struggling GP service !

• Like 2