IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you thought access to dental was bad here Uk seems even worse 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

Quite a waiting list at private practices as well, I'm lucky as I am with a good private practice and get my twice-yearly appointments.

How many bemoan lack of NHS dentistry but spend money on holidays or other non-essential luxuries?

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Quite a waiting list at private practices as well, I'm lucky as I am with a good private practice and get my twice-yearly appointments.

How many bemoan lack of NHS dentistry but spend money on holidays or other non-essential luxuries?

How on earth are wanting an NHS dental service that's up to scratch and also wanting to go on holiday mutually exclusive? The snobbery is rank - you don't get to deem what's a luxury or not for others from up there on your perch, I'm afraid.

• Like 4

What I'm sick of is the comparisons to other places. I for one could not give a flying fuck if the waiting lists are worse in Afghanistan or England. I am not there, I am here . And what I want is the problem fixed here. But no chance of that no money to spare, But hang on we can find cash for another 53 waste of space civil servants who will do fuck all to enhance anybody's life. Apart from the managers uplift because they are responsible for more staff so more spine points, a hike by the  back door.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, lethargy said:

How on earth are wanting an NHS dental service that's up to scratch and also wanting to go on holiday mutually exclusive? The snobbery is rank - you don't get to deem what's a luxury or not for others from up there on your perch, I'm afraid.

I'm entitled to an opinion, it's that simple.

16 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What I'm sick of is the comparisons to other places. I for one could not give a flying fuck if the waiting lists are worse in Afghanistan or England. I am not there, I am here . And what I want is the problem fixed here. But no chance of that no money to spare, But hang on we can find cash for another 53 waste of space civil servants who will do fuck all to enhance anybody's life. Apart from the managers uplift because they are responsible for more staff so more spine points, a hike by the  back door.

Good luck recruiting dentists. NHS pay is not worth the hassle, at least down here.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Good luck recruiting dentists. NHS pay is not worth the hassle, at least down here.

This has been government policy, certainly in the UK, for decades.  30-40 years ago my former father-in-law gave up NHS dentistry because it wasn't worth the hassle for the money (if you did proper dentistry that is)

The problem for governments everywhere is taking something away from people who have grown accustomed to getting it for free.  If dentistry had never been incorporated into the original NHS plan we wouldn't be having this discussion - everyone would see getting their teeth seen to as another life expense, like paying the gas bill, getting their hair cut, or going on holiday, and budget for it accordingly.

Private dentistry doesn't cost that much, providing you look after your teeth and have the odd check up.  I spend less on it per year than many people spend on getting their nails done. 

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Private dentistry doesn't cost that much, providing you look after your teeth and have the odd check up.  I spend less on it per year than many people spend on getting their nails done. 

Very true - I spend more getting my dog groomed per year than two visits to a private dentist.

Mother drilled into me the importance of looking after teeth - and not being a scrounger. I do like skip surfing though.

The theory that dentists are cheap if nothing goes wrong is a bit simplistic. Care are cheap if nothing goes wrong - but sometimes it does and then it gets expensive. The same with dentists.

So you need insurance to cover the possibility of expensive work. So everyone needs insurance. Cut out the unnecessary costs of competing companies and just have one insurance company.

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The theory that dentists are cheap if nothing goes wrong is a bit simplistic. Care are cheap if nothing goes wrong - but sometimes it does and then it gets expensive. The same with dentists.

So you need insurance to cover the possibility of expensive work. So everyone needs insurance. Cut out the unnecessary costs of competing companies and just have one insurance company.

You could call it National Insurance...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I was told a while ago that Manx Care were planning to introduce charges for some services which are currently available and free on NHS.

Recently, I heard about a Manx resident who went to Ramsey Cottage Hospital to have a non-cancerous facial growth removed (according to the IOMG website, Ramsey and District Cottage Hospital “Skin Service offers dermatology clinics and minor surgery”). However, the patient was advised that the procedure could only be done privately by Manx Care, and that the cost of that treatment would be £1,000. Understandably, the patient is aghast at these new Manx Care operating guidelines and is very upset, because this type of procedure is still routinely offered free-of-charge on NHS in England, albeit there are long waiting lists for almost everything. I don’t know how representative of the future IOM healthcare this particular story will turn out to be, but charges for basic medical procedures will make the cost-of-living crisis infinitely worse, e.g., will put some people off from seeking medical advice…,something that can potentially have terrible personal consequences.

It seems that Manx Care is trying to privatise parts of NHS on the sly, while IOM taxpayers pay Manx Care Board members' healthy salaries. Their new ‘criteria’ for who gets treated and who does not get treated disregards patients’ circumstances and their ability to pay. I checked my MHKs’ Manifestos and neither of them pledged to support cuts to and/ or part-privatisation of health service on the Island. It might be a moot point, but will the Government include new private healthcare charges/ fees in the way it calculates the rate of IOM Inflation?

I have said this before and I will say it again – IMHO, the Manx Care business model is a disaster for this Island, and reversing it will not be cheap nor easy. Our politicians must stop hiding behind the ‘arm’s length’ garble and start getting their heads around how to tame the monster they have created and foisted upon an unwitting public. It seems that Manx Care are rolling out a cost-saving programme, which is much deeper and more drastic than anything previously anticipated. If there is no means testing, Manx Care’s privatisation plans will undermine the Island’s attractiveness as a place to live and work. I wonder how the IOM Chamber of Commerce will react if/ when these plans aggravate the Island’s on-going labour shortages.

6 minutes ago, code99 said:

I was told a while ago that Manx Care were planning to introduce charges for some services which are currently available and free on NHS.

Recently, I heard about a Manx resident who went to Ramsey Cottage Hospital to have a non-cancerous facial growth removed (according to the IOMG website, Ramsey and District Cottage Hospital “Skin Service offers dermatology clinics and minor surgery”). However, the patient was advised that the procedure could only be done privately by Manx Care, and that the cost of that treatment would be £1,000. Understandably, the patient is aghast at these new Manx Care operating guidelines and is very upset, because this type of procedure is still routinely offered free-of-charge on NHS in England, albeit there are long waiting lists for almost everything. I don’t know how representative of the future IOM healthcare this particular story will turn out to be, but charges for basic medical procedures will make the cost-of-living crisis infinitely worse, e.g., will put some people off from seeking medical advice…,something that can potentially have terrible personal consequences.

It seems that Manx Care is trying to privatise parts of NHS on the sly, while IOM taxpayers pay Manx Care Board members' healthy salaries. Their new ‘criteria’ for who gets treated and who does not get treated disregards patients’ circumstances and their ability to pay. I checked my MHKs’ Manifestos and neither of them pledged to support cuts to and/ or part-privatisation of health service on the Island. It might be a moot point, but will the Government include new private healthcare charges/ fees in the way it calculates the rate of IOM Inflation?

I have said this before and I will say it again – IMHO, the Manx Care business model is a disaster for this Island, and reversing it will not be cheap nor easy. Our politicians must stop hiding behind the ‘arm’s length’ garble and start getting their heads around how to tame the monster they have created and foisted upon an unwitting public. It seems that Manx Care are rolling out a cost-saving programme, which is much deeper and more drastic than anything previously anticipated. If there is no means testing, Manx Care’s privatisation plans will undermine the Island’s attractiveness as a place to live and work. I wonder how the IOM Chamber of Commerce will react if/ when these plans aggravate the Island’s on-going labour shortages.

Never heard of anyone being charged for dermatology unless private, it could be that they just wanted it removed for cosmetic reasons which maybe why they said there would be a fee . We obviously want preference given to urgent treatment not cosmetic 

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

Surely if it was something that was previously available on the NHS, I doubt they can suddenly change that