IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

55 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Seems like a sensible way to save money. Why pay for 'on-call' doctor if they are rarely needed?

It has been used by people who can't get doctors appointments but are not sick enough to go to A&E. I myself used it recently for an ear infection after I was advised to by the pharmacist.

Once again Manx care are not being honest, if they had sufficient staff then it would still be open regardless of perceived 'quiet times'. This isn't the first time in the last week months it's been cancelled, remember when they wanted to axe it completely?

• Like 3

Oh dear, seems like most posters on here were right about Mr Hooper.  I wonder who the department member was who was shouting at Mrs Baker?

A departing member of the Health Services Consultative Committee has accused Health Minister Lawrie Hooper of creating a ‘toxic and adversarial atmosphere’.

https://gef.im/news/politics/an-uncomfortable-and-distressing-environment-43820/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, cissolt said:

It has been used by people who can't get doctors appointments but are not sick enough to go to A&E. I myself used it recently for an ear infection after I was advised to by the pharmacist.

Once again Manx care are not being honest, if they had sufficient staff then it would still be open regardless of perceived 'quiet times'. This isn't the first time in the last week months it's been cancelled, remember when they wanted to axe it completely?

If this is an acceptable solution for 12 weeks in the middle of winter, why not all 52 weeks? If it is 'busier' later in the year then just add another locum for additional appointments? After all, the GP's surgeries are geared up for appointments and have your medical records at hand to forward on to a locum.

Lots of unhappy parents? Maybe a small minority who are as bad as their kids. Hooper is an arrogant, bullying little squirt and the underwater 'doctor' obviously takes the departmental tone from him. Both out of their depth. I'm glad he's been called out and I'm sure she won't let it go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Mrs Baker didn’t seem all that popular in her previous role lots of unhappy parents.  I expect as a headmistress she is used to be being in charge and now she isn’t is stirring the pot 

I seem to remember RGS was the best performing school on the island under her stewardship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Mrs Baker didn’t seem all that popular in her previous role lots of unhappy parents.  I expect as a headmistress she is used to be being in charge and now she isn’t is stirring the pot .

Thanks Lawrie

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, cissolt said:

Oh dear, seems like most posters on here were right about Mr Hooper.  I wonder who the department member was who was shouting at Mrs Baker?

It was actually at the whole committee I think at their June meeting.  From stuff previously published I seem to remember that the meltdown from Hooper was accompanied by one from Tanya August-Hanson.   Who I suspect is behind a lot of the DHSC problems.

Edited to add:  Baker has since confirmed that it was August-Hanson at the 26 June meeting .

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cissolt said:

A departing member of the Health Services Consultative Committee has accused Health Minister Lawrie Hooper of creating a ‘toxic and adversarial atmosphere’.

Aye him and Professor Ashford cost us how many millions again !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cissolt said:

https://gef.im/news/politics/an-uncomfortable-and-distressing-environment-43820/

He didn't like the last report from this independent committee which challenged the poor performance of DHSC in some areas like legislation.

'Whilst the HSCC has no statutory power, it does have access to a wide range of information about governance and process within the health service. Its 9 hard-working independent members have attended in excess of 150 governance meetings, face-to-face meetings and public events during the year. Each contact results in a written report that is shared and discussed at monthly HSCC meetings. These reports allow us to analyse, draw conclusions, escalate concerns and make recommendations. The aim is to challenge those with executive power to make more informed choices, improve outcomes and to be brave in their actions.'

This work cannot be replaced by a 'patients with experience' group which does not have access to lots of information and meetings etc.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, cissolt said:

No current figures, but this was the costs between 2014-2018. Interesting to note the locum gp costs in 2014/2915 compared to 2016-2018

Screenshot_2024-01-02-18-59-58-02_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.d8070a6d9b352a8dcde11778a43a1001.jpg

Going back to the meds issue.  This interview raises some interesting points.

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/manx-newscast/episode/whats-happening-to-meds/?fbclid=IwAR1h8roYmxkqDPoiwivrt91LTpxYTBDh-F9y4XvXR3MkrIidnAH_S5eZtCY

The payrise awarded last year wasn't offered to the MEDs GPs, this was awarded in December but now they can't afford to run the MEDs service fully for the rest of this financial year.  Nothing to do with low volumes of patients.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1